the napping conundrum (sp?)

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2011, 06:26 AM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So...naps. Ugh. We are in a weird spot. Jack will still take a nap, most days without much of a fight, but when he does he stays up until almost 10. We'll take him to bed around 8:30 or 9 and do books, songs, etc. but he'll be awake for another hour, hour and a half and will get out of bed to make sure we're still in the living room ( ahhhhhhhh!!!!) a few times. Then he'll sleep until at least 7 the next day, sometimes later, which has been nice for summer, however with school starting back up next week he'll need to get up earlier again.

If he doesn't take a nap - like yesterday - he goes to bed earlier, but he is a jerk face in the evenings. I was going to go NUTS yesterday - he kept doing naughty things and the whining was OUT OF CONTROL. UGH. He was asleep around 8:45 and then up at 6:20 this morning -

The past month I've been just kind of playing it by ear where napping in concerned. If we are doing something, I'll have him skip a nap, or if he lays in there for a while in the afternoon I'll tell him to come out and rest on the couch while he watches a long Mickey episode. If we don't have anything going on I'll week, I'll keep him napping, but sometimes I'll wake him after about an hour and a half (the boy would nap 3-4 hrs if I let him). This luxury of doing what we want when we want is ending though and I'm not sure how to transition to the school year schedule.

I guess my point of posting this is

1. To complain to you all

and

2. To ask what is going on with naps for your LO's? ARe they completely done? Nap sometimes? Nap consistently?
August 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
ootpik51's Avatar Super Mommy
Grayson still needs his nap every day. And like Jack he will sleep 3-4 hours ( with him having been sick I let him right now). He gets up at 6;45 or so but also doesn't go down until late at night 10:00-10:30pm because he isn't tired yet. He has never stayed up all day, if he misses his nap he will crash sometimes at like 5:00pm and then he misses dinner and everything so I try not to let that happen. I was hoping he would start to shorten his naps on his own but so far that isn't working. I feel your frustration but have no answers since we are in the same boat

Robyn
Mom to:Rory(9) and Grayson(3)

August 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Mommy2AandM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Audrey is all over the place on naps. At the sitter, she naps 1.5-2 hours each day consistently. At home, it's whatever. Sometimes, if we have something to do, she skips it. Other times, she just refuses. Other times, I'll bribe her and she'll do it. I worry about her getting enough sleep if she skips naps. She generally sleeps from 9 PM to 7 AM at night. That is 10 hours. I think they're still supposed to be getting 12ish hours a day?

Anyway, as for solutions, I'm not much help. I will say consistency is the best. I think that's why the sitter has such good luck with her. But I also know weekends are difficult for that.

Good luck!

formerly screen name "Audrey's Mommy"
August 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
jaypbee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
roman very rarely naps. the last time he napped it was because he was sick and he was up that day at 6 a.m. we were where you were-if he napped, bed time was horrendous. if he didn't nap, he was cranky joe in the evenings.

so, this is what works for us:

bedtime is 7:00 every night. he "rests" each day for an hour and a half either on the couch w/ a movie on or in his bed in his room. he rarely falls asleep, but this gives him some down time and gives me some down time, too. it also seems to help ward off the evening grumpies.

he rarely goes right to sleep, but most nights he is asleep by 7:30/45. his wake up times are all over the place. lol. usually he's awake between 7:30 and 8:30.

good luck. i just finally gave in and realized giving up the nap was best all the way around...

August 29th, 2011, 05:14 AM
linbein's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are pretty much phasing them out. Rissy has still been in daycare steadily, and she just doesn't nap there very well. She will lay on her cot when she's supposed to, and sometimes will sleep, sometimes not. More often not. She actually got in trouble the other day for waking up all the other kids....
But we used to be pretty consistent about making sure she'd get a nap on Saturday. That was the one day of the week where I knew she'd sleep. But like you said, if we let her nap, she does not want to go to bed at night. That is why we decided to avoid the naps on Sundays. But lately we've been busy on Saturdays, so sometimes she'll catch a quick cat nap in the car on the way home from wherever we are going. But like you also mentioned, w/o a nap, she is a a crank pot! She is almost unbareable by the time bedtime rolls around. Crying, whining, meltdowns. I know she's tired. We have been trying to move bedtime up a little, we now start the process at 7:30 on the weekdays instead of 8 like we used to. She is usually pretty easy to get up at 6am. So, I think she is getting enough sleep.

Kiley gave up her nap at 3. Literally just flat out refused! So, I decided it wasn't worth the fight anymore. It was a win/lose situtation. While you enjoy the free time you get while they are napping, it was also so nice to just start doing whatever we wanted and not have to be home for that nap. Neither one of my girls were the type to just fall asleep anywhere if they were tired. The only place they will fall asleep besides their bed, is the car.

No real advice, you just have to do what works best for you guys. I'm sure his daycare will still have him on a "napping" schedule, even if it is just "resting" during the day. Stay consistent with your bedtime routine. He'll probably be wearing himself out at daycare again playing all day, so he should be plenty tired by bed time.

August 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are totally going through the same thing! I think for Rhiannon the key is SHORT NAP! She still needs a nap, no question about it. But if she naps more than an hour and a half she's up in her bed an hour and a half after bedtime still. But the days she has taken a shorter nap seem to be better. if she doesn't take one at all, same deal, she's a brat all evening!!!!

August 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Syd rarely naps anymore, occasionally there are days she still will and I do encourage "quiet time" but even at preschool she really doesn't do anything more than rest. It does occasionally cause her to be a grump by dinner time though, grump is an understatement actually your term (jerkface) might be more accurate LOL....but it isn't always like that but when she is tired her grump factor is through the roof! if she doesn't nap she is usually in bed by 9pm, if she does nap she is up until at least 10 and then doesn't want to get up in the morning for school and the grump factor returns, for us no napping is way better than napping these days it seems!
August 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
jaypbee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^ kim! she's in bed at 9 WITHOUT a nap?! wow. i can't even imagine! lol. what time does she wake up?

August 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ha yes! I swear I need more sleep than she does! sometimes without a nap she is in bed at 8:30 but it is usually closer to 9. she wakes up at 7am on school days on weekends she will often sleep until 8am. She was never a kid that went to bed early. Sam on the other hand is in bed at 7pm every night, he literally hangs off his crib begging to go night night LOL
August 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, Maddie has not really been taking "formal" naps this entire summer. I never put her down for a nap but most days, if we are in the car anywhere between the hours of 1-4pm she will fall asleep. This seemed to be the majority of the days because we were always going out and about somewhere it seems.

She starts a new preschool Thursday and I am kinda worried because they nap from 12-2. She NEVER falls asleep at 12. I do think it will be better though because hopefully she will fall asleep at night better than taking a late nap. I am worried though because I have not had a nap schedule at all.

She goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up around 7 but starting Thursday it will be closer to 6am. So hopefully the nap will even out since she is getting up earlier.

When she doesn't take a nap I don't notice much grumpiness from her. Occasionally I will attribute her attitude to lack of sleep but most days, even without a nap, she is fine. I just make sure to put her to bed closer to 7. That's why I have not been pushing a nap this summer...
August 31st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ryan and Alex both have naps at the same time and both sleep 3-4 hours. They both go to bed between 8-9 everyday, some days later since it's summer. They both wake up between 7-8, sometimes later. Some days Ryan doesn't want to have a nap but i make it fun and tell him to come and snuggle with me and he always falls asleep. There are some days when the boys don't even nap because we are so busy with outdoor activites, but they are still fine and ready to go to bed as soon as we get home. I have no advise really, i'm lucky that both my boys are good with naps and bedtime.

September 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
Syd rarely naps anymore, occasionally there are days she still will and I do encourage "quiet time" but even at preschool she really doesn't do anything more than rest. It does occasionally cause her to be a grump by dinner time though, grump is an understatement actually your term (jerkface) might be more accurate LOL....but it isn't always like that but when she is tired her grump factor is through the roof! if she doesn't nap she is usually in bed by 9pm, if she does nap she is up until at least 10 and then doesn't want to get up in the morning for school and the grump factor returns, for us no napping is way better than napping these days it seems!
This is Nick to a tee! He's been like this for months now and so he's most of the time a "jerkface" in the evenings too but it's much better than him going to bed at 10-10:30pm and me having to wake him at 6:30am to get ready for daycare. Sometimes we try to make him "rest" but that word seems to be out of his vocabulary and so lots of times he's going on full speed all day long until it's bed time. I've tried to start getting him in bed by 8:30pm but it's more like 9pm some nights. Last night I put him in bed at 8:30pm and read him a story and before I could even finish the story he was snoring. Guess he was tired!

September 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just started letting Rhiannon nap at will this week. LOL I'm tired of fighting with her. So I let her lay on the couch in front of the tv and if she falls asleep, she does, if she doesn't, then she doesn't. This is also working better because i always have to wake her up to go get Donovan from the bus stop. So she's taking a shorter nap as well and even though she's still a cranky butt in the evening, she's falling asleep sooner at night.

September 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Amelia stopped napping about 3-4 months ago. She has fallen asleep only a handful of times since then. She has "quiet time" from about 4:30 til 6pm but she still gets a little crazy/clumsy/loopy in the evenings. She still cosleeps so she goes to bed late.. even without a nap. I worry that she isn't getting enough sleep (roughly 10 hours) but my sister thinks she's fine.

September 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks everyone! I guess this transition is normal and that we are all at different places in this phase.

I have found this past week that if I let Jack sleep 1 1/2 to 2 hrs and then wake him up, he seems to do better. Some days he is not very pleasant when he first gets up, but bedtime seems to be a bit better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search