Bedtime Drama

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2011, 09:08 PM
Sonshine1296's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know it can't just be us dealing with bedtime issues. Abby was fighting and screaming. I started doing better about a regular routine and it's gotten better but still...ack!
Are you dealing with bedtime/naptime issues?

September 1st, 2011, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We decided to stop putting Aaron down for his nap and he goes to be without any fight now. Sometimes he even asks when bedtime is going to be =) Sometimes he's grumpy in the afternoon/evening, but that's so much better than a 10-11pm bedtime.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 1st, 2011, 08:01 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thea doesn't nap anymore, unless we get up early.
Bedtime is kind of frustrating. I hold Thea at night and put her down when she falls asleep. Sometimes she just won't wind down and wants to talk and waller around forever! Or she gets tired and won't have fallen asleep yet so she gets grumpy and whiny and contrary- will want her blanket on, then off; she will want a toy to hold, then she throws it and wants a different one; or she wrestles me and tries to lay all crazy ways in my arms.
Also, she usually gets up if she wakes up at night. She hardly ever just goes back to sleep on her own. I either have to hold again, which takes forever, or she comes to my bed if I can't get her back in hers. Sometimes she sleeps all night in her bed, sometimes she doesn't. (Sometimes Justin sleeps all night in our bed, sometimes he doesn't - not really enough room for all three of us comfortably).
I have 'The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers' by Elizabeth Pantley on hold from my library and plan to use that. I think I will get it in two or so weeks and I can't wait. Lisa used it with her girls.
September 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily doesn't nap. She usually goes down on her own, but occasionally she will not and one of us will lay down with her for a bit.

September 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jonah gets tired for a nap around noon. But he won't go to sleep until at LEAST 2:00. The time in between is so hard for me. He doesn't listen, he is hyper, literally bouncing off the walls, jumping on the couch, doing sommersaults everywhere, hitting/kicking his sister. And his ears are like brick walls at this point too, he doesn't hear a word I'm telling him, time outs don't mean a thing, the only thing that calms him down, I really hate to say, is to turn on the TV for a bit. So usually after lunch, I let him pick a TV show to watch while I put Eve down for her nap. Depending on the time and if he seems like he would go to sleep, I either start the nap routine after the one show or I let him pick another shorter show (he can watch one segment of Handy Manny or Peep and the Big Wide World, but I don't let him watch the whole episode, he doesn't seem to know the difference)

Then at bedtime, he and my husband butt heads. I HATE it. DH won't let me step in because he says he feels like I am undermining his authority, but it seems to me like DH is being harsh and just confusing Jonah sometimes. We watch one episode of Peep (again, because it helps him calm down) then do our routine. If he is overtired then bedtime becomes a yelling match. 90% of the time he is overtired because he didn't take a nap. If he is not overtired, then he just keeps getting up to see what we are doing, or for attention, or something. Usually after the third time if I'm the one putting him back to bed, then he goes to sleep. Sometimes I will lay next to him and speak very softly about what we have planned for the morning, and that he needs to get some sleep so that we can do these things. That usually works. DH is so inconsistent. He will sometimes cover Jonah back up, sometimes not, sometimes get him his stuffed animals/drink of water/whatever Jonah is asking for, and other times he won't. Poor Jonah is just confused and just screams and cries and keeps trying to come out of his room. It breaks my heart and causes a lot of fights between me and DH. We've always had differing opinions on how bedtime is to be handled, but since I need his help at this time (two kids, one mom) I am trying to find middle ground here.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
September 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
kll074's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so grateful that bedtime is now MUCH easier than it used to be. Kaitlin was a terrible sleeper until she was 2 1/2 (maybe a little earlier than that). She was would cry, kick and scream going to bed. She wanted certain ligths turned on and to stay on during the night. If I turned them off well into the early hours of the morning she would cry for them to be turned back on....it was a nightmare, literally!

During the week she also goes down well for her nap. Sometimes on the weekend she skips her nap or has a harder time falling asleep, it just depends on our day.

I have moved Kaitlin's bedtime back about a half an hour. But I know she lies awake for a while before she goes to sleep. She has some books in her bed, a stuffed pig and a flash light. Occassionally she will play with them, but most times I think she just relaxes and listens to the music (nursery rhymes) that I have playing for her.

Our routine is the same everyday, play when we get home, eat dinner, take a shower and watch one (15 minutes) episode of Curious George while she drinks her cup of milk.

With all that being said Kendall is no where near as easy to put to bed and it is a fight EVERY NIGHT!!! I am just thankful it is only one and not two misbehaving.
[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search