Walking

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Sonshine1296's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the last three days I've been walking. I am averaging a mile a day although one day was more and one day was less. Today I've been stuffed up and sneezing (all at once somehow) and was going to skip walking but this afternoon Abby asked me with those big blue eyes of hers and I couldn't say no. Lol.
Believe it or not, the walk made me feel a bit better. Is there any medical basis for that? Makes no sense to me.

November 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
~Michele~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes. you are supposed to exercise through minor colds and the exercise is supposed to make you feel better. but let your body rest if you have a major cold.
Good for you!

November 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good for you! There have been numerous studies showing how exercise can benefit the health, even when you're sick (like Michele said above), so keep going!

November 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard that the adrenaline and hormones that your body sets off while working out is supposed to help fight off an illness like a cold. However, I've noticed that after extremely intense workouts, my immune system fails. I have a friend who runs professionally, and he said the same thing. He is constantly having to boost his immune system while training, and he told me before that the worst usually hits about two weeks into hard core training for a major event. So I think maybe moderation is the key

I'm so excited that in our new neighborhood I get to walk with the kids more! I don't care if it's about to be winter, we're walking and running outside!!!! It's such good exercise! I've missed it

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
November 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
That's great you're out walking, Julie! We are in a very pedestrian friendly area, so Josiah and I do a ton of walking. When he was a baby, I used to leave the house after breakfast and walk and walk until almost lunchtime... I think I was averaging at least 5 miles a day. Now that he doesn't really use the stroller anymore, our walks are much shorter. We save the longer jaunts for when he is on his scooter. I've always found that I feel better after a walk when I'm under the weather. Unless like Jess and Michele said, I have more than just a minor cold. Then of COURSE stay home and hunker down!

November 23rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yay for walking - with AF here and the rain I haven't walked in a few days, but I hope to be able start again tomorrow - going to need it after all the turkey!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

November 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
Yup Between the sunshine, fresh air and endorphins:-)
my MIL always tells me she would "bake" out her colds when they lived in Hawaii..and I always feel better and make sure to get the kids out for a walk when colds are starting up.
Its worked twice for us now

November 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish Justin would believe me when I tell him that the fresh air and exercise can be good for a little cold. He thinks I should keep Thea under lock and key if she is the slightest bit snotty - he is set in his belief though.
I know you don't want to get everyone else sick when you are so I try not to spead out germs to others, but otherwise, activity is good for slight illnesses! Thea's pediatrician backed me up on this!
Anyways, way to go for the walking! Keep it up - I would like to do it more often.
I try to take runs when I can, but Justin works so much that I don't have the chance nearly as much as I would like.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search