Christmas traditions?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Sarah's PJs thread got me wondering about all our Christmas traditions. What special things do you do every year, or plan to start doing?

Our Christmas tradition is getting our tree from a cut-yourself Christmas tree farm. We go to the same place every year and eat breakfast at the same diner. Steve even proposed to me there

We also do St. Nicholas' Day, starting at Thanskgiving, where we have a puppet show that tells the story, using the same puppets my brother and I watched we were little. Then on St. Nicholas Day, the kids put out their shoes, which we fill up with treats at night.

On Christmas, we open presents (stockings first) and have a traditional dinner, wherever we are. We don't do Christmas eve presents.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

November 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Christmas Eve: Santa brings new pajamas for everyone in the family, and a new book for the kids. I sing for Christmas Eve Candlelight services at church two doors down, we do a nice dinner at our place for my Mom, brother, and SIL, after church any and everyone who wants to comes back over to our house for wine and cookies and usually stays until midnight. Growing up, my family had a tradition of playing Bingo on Christmas Eve with really fun prizes like lotto tickets. DH and I would like to reinstate that tradition when Josiah gets a bit older. Josiah gets to open his presents from whoever is at our house Christmas Eve that night (he usually opens his gifts from Grandma).

Christmas Day: We stay in our pajamas all morning, stockings may be opened whenever each person wakes up, gifts under the tree have to be opened all together. We open our stockings, then gifts under the tree. DH's parents and grandparents usually stop by at some point to drop off gifts. Then DH makes a big pancake breakfast and we watch a Christmas movie of some kind. In the late afternoon, we go to my aunt's house for a prime rib dinner.

Last edited by doremi; November 23rd, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
November 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a few weeks before Christmas we all go to MIL's house and make dozens of homemade polish pirogies. (not sure if that is going to happen this year - she hasn't wanted to plan anything since she "can't think that far a head").

Chrsitmas Eve we go back to MIL's for Christmas Eve dinner, this year it is going to be early, since I have to be back to church by 5:30 for choir. we do presents with them then.

We also like to go get a tree usually the second weekend in december.

Christmas Eve - Santa makes a quick delivery of new Christmas jammies - this year they are coming from Nana by way of Santa's delivery service.

we leave out cookies and milk

in the morning, the kids open presents, starting with the stockings. then we have breakfast and hang out for the rest of the day.

Christmas Day is my grandmother's birthday, so if we are able to see them we celebrate her Birthday at night, but lately, it has just been a phone call.

I love to bake, so I start baking and freezing cookies early in december!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

November 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
General: I buy the girls an ornament each every year. They also pick out one for each other. I also bake a ton (over 1000 usually) of Christmas cookies of all types throughout the month with my best friend and Lily and Vi.

Christmas Eve: Santa delivers new pjs in the girls' Pottery Barn stockings that my SIL gave them (their other stockings are hung on the mantel, I just needed to use these stockings for something so my SIL didn't get upset ). DH reads them "The Night Before Christmas" (my dad read this to us every Xmas Eve). We make fresh cookies and they leave cookies and milk out for Santa. We also go to Mass on Christmas Eve, I prefer Midnight Mass, but we sometimes go to the earlier one.

Christmas: stockings opened first and they can see what Santa brought them (Santa brings one gift - unwrapped and fully assembled). Then, we eat homemade cinnamon rolls and breakfast. Then, everyone gets dressed and they get to open their other gifts. Then, we have Christmas lunch/dinner.

November 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Great traditions!

We used to go to midnight mass, but at our new church - which is full of retirees - they do a 5:00 pm mass instead. It's like the blue-plate special of Christmas masses.

8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses

November 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to go to a candle light service with my parents on Christmas Eve night. It was so beautiful, I really miss doing that. It was always probably my favorite thing on Christmas Eve, and then after the service we would go and look at Christmas lights. When my sisters and I got older, we would stay up and watch old SNL clips from past christmas shows while we helped Mom and Dad wrap presents and put stuff together for the boys. My dad always made a french chocolate silk pie; I can still remember the way it smelled!

But with my own kids, we have different traditions. We go to the Toledo Zoo with all of Daryl's family for Zoo Lights, a few days before Christmas. Jonah really loves it. On Christmas Eve, we go to dinner at a fancy country club type place. They have a tree auction where you can bid on Christmas trees decorated by different organizations, to help that organization raise money. They have a big room with a huge tree, and all of the families take their picture by the tree. We probably spend about an hour taking pictures there because MIL wants to get every combination possible (siblings, parents, spouses, grandparents and grand children... ) Then we go home and the kids get to open their special Christmas Eve PJ's (we do that too!) and I take some pictures of them by the tree both in their nice dinner outfits, and in their PJ's. That way we get them ready for bed as well as getting their pictures, and MIL usually has started to put out all of the wrapped presents by then so the presents are in the background. In the morning we have orange rolls for breakfast (DH's family's tradition) That's really it, I think, other than the typical baking, going to see Santa etc.

I want to have an advent calendar where I put a daily activity behind each of the days, or something that represents the activity I should say. So one day will be sledding, another day will be baking cookies, another day ice skating or making popcorn strings, decorating the tree, etc. The kids find out what our holiday activity is by opening the door. I saw a cute advent calendar I like at Target today, but it is kind of expensive. I'm thinking about making one out of felt, but once again I am behind schedule. I am also thinking about making an advent wreathe with the kids every year. We did it every year with my family, and even though we are not a religious family it is still their heritage

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
November 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
If you make one of those advent calendars, be prepared to take orders - they sound great!

November 24th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get them each an ornament each year. We also go chop down our own tree the beginning of the second week of December.

Christmas Eve - We usually go to my MIL's house, but not this year because we're moving 4 hrs away, so it will be our first Christmas Eve on our own. Anyway, they get to open their new Christmas jammies, and we always read The Night Before Christmas. We throw carrots out for the reindeer, and leave milk and cookies for Santa.

Christmas morning - We open stockings first, have breakfast, then open tree gifts. My parents come over on Christmas Day for dinner (they are staying overnight this year since we live so far away!).

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
November 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't really have any traditions at all. Growing up we usually did immediate family (mom, dad, and my brothers) gift exchange on Christmas Eve morning and gathered with my dad's family Christmas Eve for dinner. My grandma did stockings and they always had an orange, a candy cane, a box of jello, and a box of raisins in them. Christmas day for lunch we would gather with my mom's side of the family. Our church had Christmas candle light service the Sunday evening before Christmas - we always enjoyed that especially singing Silent Night by candle light.
Last year we went to the Christmas Eve candle light service at our church at 4pm, then came home to dinner that I had prepared in the crock pot. Then we opened presets just DH, the boys, and I. The next day we gathered with DH's family and had food and a whole room full of presents =) DH's family does secret Santa for the adults every year and it's usually a good time trying to guess who bought for whom.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
November 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Diana, we always got an orange in the bottoms of our stockings too! I am thinking of starting to do it with Jonah and Eve, now that they can eat oranges. I was afraid of them choking before.

Lisa, I did some searching on Etsy and here is what I found. I think it would be pretty easy to make it out of felt, and make a picture that represents each activity that would velcro into the door/flap
Christmas Activity Advent Calendar Boxes by IdahoMomof2 on Etsy

This one was made from a muffin pan and scrapbooking paper! Maybe a small trinket for each activity could be placed inside
Reserved for Jkarimed Advent Christmas Countdown by MackenziesLoft

A countdown Christmas Garland
Count Down to Christmas by ShineyMonkeyButtons on Etsy

These are all great ideas for basically what I would like to do!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search