Looking for a new car seat

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheMommyProject

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Aidan is at the limits for his current car seat and I'm not ready to move him to a booster yet and want to keep him harnessed, probably for at least another year. I'm looking at the Britax Frontier. It's pricey, especially considering I'll likely only get another year or so out of it, but I'm not finding much else that's really more than $50 difference from it. Do any of you have that seat, what is your opinion? Any other good options you want to throw out there that will allow me to harness for awhile yet?

January 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I have 2 graco nautilus'. it's the last car seat we'll ever need.

FF harness to 20-65lbs

high back booster 30-100

backless booster 40-100

Last edited by *Cyndee*; January 29th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
January 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the Nautilus. We have 2 as well.

January 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love our Nauti here too!

January 30th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Thanks guys, that Nautilus is the other one I've been looking at. It's making me really crazy right now that the Nautilus at TRU in the States would only cost me $149.99, but up here it's $259.99, especially when our dollar is essentially at par. It's the same freaking seat. On the Frontier, the price here is $299.99 and in the States is $239.99. Not as bad a difference, but come on!!

I'm leaning towards the Britax right now. The difference in price is negligable and both seem very well rated. I've been pretty impressed with what I'm reading on Britax so far.

January 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is that the Britax that switches to a booster? Gah, I didn't realize the price difference on the Nautilus was so much up here. I was just telling DH that I'm going to keep an eye out for sales on them over the next year. Mackenzie still fits in her seat (65lb) but we'll need the booster eventually and I might as well get a good sale and sell her current seat while it's well within expiry.

January 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Check walmart, their website is showing the Nautilus as $80 for the stores near me....? Might be on clearance there right now.

January 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not to take your post but, I was thinking of getting Miranda the nautilus. I need to bump LO out of her infant seat. I want Miranda to stay in a harness Carseats for at least another year too.
January 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Wow, $80 is insanely low. Like almost too good to be true low. None in any of the stores by me and I've gone as far as KW.

I'm going to go ahead and order the Britax for my car today, and it is the one that coverts to booster. It's up to 65lbs FF and up to 120lbs booster. I would love to link you to it, but for some reason I can't post links at the moment. I can't wait for any sales or trade-ins because I waited so long and he's now a half inch over the 40" limit on mine and although I haven't weighed him in ages, I'm sure he's just about at, if not slightly over, the 40lbs limit. I should've been more aware and did more research back when I first got ours. But, it lasted me 4yrs, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I'm going to keep searching Walmart for that Nautilus though because I don't want to pay for a 2nd Britax for DHs truck since Aidan is only in it about 5% of the time, but an $80 Nautilus would sure be nice.

ETA: Adding the link for Britax Frontier

Last edited by TheMommyProject; January 30th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
January 30th, 2012, 10:06 AM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does Amazon deliver to you? That is where I got mine. I got free shipping with my Prime Account though. Not sure how much it would run you with shipping.

January 30th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I love how low profile the Britax frontier is. However, for $300 bucks I'll keep our carseat until Kenz can sit in a high back booster. That sucks you can't wait for a sale!

January 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Ya, my own fault for procrastinating. I should've started looking a half year ago or so. To be honest, I just figured we'd convert the seat we have to the booster at 40lbs/4yrs. It wasn't until we reached that limit that I really started to think about extended harnessing. He just seems so little to me to not have in a 5 point harness.

January 30th, 2012, 01:18 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been looking at the nautilus too for both my kids, Sydney is getting too tall for her current seat, she is well below the weight limit but the straps are in their last notch and soon she is going to be just too tall for it, she seems to have had a major height growth spurt since last month. I figure I will get each kiddo one, for each car and then we will be good to go for a long, long time. Of course that is 4 seats, ca-ching LOL...I did notice Walmart sells them in pairs at a slight discount so there is that I guess.
January 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM
What I love about that Britax is you can get the accessory to make the seatbelt go through the leg piece once they're in booster mode, which keeps them from sliding under the lap belt in an accident - a very real danger with kids. It's called submarining.

January 30th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Evidently I'm a spazz, or it could just be old age memory loss. I weighed Aidan tonight out of curiousity to see how close we were to the 40lbs and he was coming in around 35-36lbs. I panicked thinking, holy crap, he's lost a few pounds since I last weighed him. That led to the frantic search through old posts and found his 3yr stats when he was only 31.5lbs and 37.5". I've been going along thinking he was 37.5lbs back then. Oops.

Anyway, not as much of a panic on the new seat as originally thought, although he is still over in height by a half inch or so and I'm getting a much better seat than he has now anyway.

February 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Aidan's Mommy
So the new seat arrived today and Aidan was all excited to see it when he got home and what was the first thing out of his mouth? "Ooooohhhh it has two cup holders! One for my snack AND one for my water". Glad to know all the research and stressing over what one to choose comes down to the cupholders for him.
WineKeepsMeSane likes this.

February 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Priorities, mom!
February 2nd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Mackenzie will like whatever I choose as long as it's pink

February 2nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
GirliMumi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think TRU Canada has their trade in event in April (its on now in the states) if you hold onto the old seat and then use it in the trade in for Hubbys truck. I believe its 25% off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search