How clean is your house?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By ~*Kixs*~
  • 1 Post By Twhylite21
  • 1 Post By ~Michele~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2012, 12:50 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
DH and I have been arguing over house cleanliness lately. I think it should be ok to have some toy clutter. DH doesn't agree. What do you think? How clean is your house, in general?

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

January 31st, 2012, 01:08 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
There is always toy clutter in this house. I'd say overall, we're somewhere in the middle for cleanliness. It's far from being a pigsty, but I'm no Martha Stewart either.
~*Kixs*~ likes this.

January 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your DH realize you have THREE children????

I think toy clutter is fine at this age. There are always toys on the floor at my house. At the end of the day I sweep them into a pile and the kids put them away (for the most part).

My bathrooms are clean, my kitchen is clean, laundry is done (not always put away but done), but there is always toys somewhere on the floor.

My house can be clean when the kids are grown (or at least older).
Jenna likes this.

January 31st, 2012, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have toy clutter throughout the day, that I clean up after they go to bed. It's clean though - I vacuum the main level pretty much every day, mop it once a week, bathrooms/kitchen are always kept super clean.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We get toy clutter as well. I usually pick up things at night after the girls go to bed (although I do make them pick up most things before they go down). I also always end up with kitchen clutter (like DH's mail, dishes, etc). DH is horrible about picking up after himself, so I'll have a spotless kitchen ruined in under 5 seconds by him
RainyDay likes this.

January 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Sonshine1296's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely we are toward the messy side of things. We have toy clutter constantly no matter what I swear. In general, I don't worry as much about the house being clean as other people probably.

January 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Let's just say.... I never invite anyone over. LOL. I'm really really trying to keep things clean recently though. I'm trying to get into the habit of doing certain things more regularly. This way, when we're ready to sell, I can keep things at a constant, since potential buyers wouldn't want to see a mess.

I've also been trying to keep Robin's toys put away when she's not playing with them. So, I have alot of bins and whatnot for her toys... it does look cluttered, but they're at least not on the floor in the way of walking,

January 31st, 2012, 12:02 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
We're both pretty messy. Toys everywhere, adults' and kids'. Err, not THOSE kind of adults' toys. But it is my belief that extenuating circumstances aside, the 'neater' person is the chosen one to put extra effort into cleaning.

January 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Umm, I'm probably not the best person to ask. My house is spotless, 99% of the time. My kids don't have any toys in their rooms or in any other room other than the play room. I don't care about the play room during the day, but at night before bed the kid's have to clean it completely. The rest of the house is clean all the time, because I'm insane.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
January 31st, 2012, 12:13 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
Umm, I'm probably not the best person to ask. My house is spotless, 99% of the time. My kids don't have any toys in their rooms or in any other room other than the play room. I don't care about the play room during the day, but at night before bed the kid's have to clean it completely. The rest of the house is clean all the time, because I'm insane.
OMG how do you do it?! I'm drowning in "I need to do this."! lol

January 31st, 2012, 12:49 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
HA! I don't even know HOW I do it to be honest. Everyone is always shocked when they come over and see my house because I have 3 kids. I clean every day, so that really helps and I think keeping all the kid's stuff contained in one room helps too. I break everything up, like today I'll vacuum (already did) and after the big kids go down I'll mop the floors, then tomorrow I'm going to clean bathrooms and dust. I am just go go going all day long (I only get on JM when I'm nursing and HAVE to sit lol). I'm a neat freak and clutter and dirt gives me anxiety so I'm always cleaning.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
January 31st, 2012, 01:01 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are pretty much neat freaks here too. My husband is actually even more so than me, at least when it comes to clutter. He says that messes give him anxiety. So we make an effort to keep things pretty clean. And laundry bugs him more than anything, so he's constantly loading/unloading/folding. (I hate laundry! I love that he does most of it...)

Do we let our house get messy? Yes. Toys EVERYWHERE, dragged all over--I am often kicking them out of the way when I cook supper! BUT they are picked up daily before bed. Once in a great while we might go to bed without cleaning up, but that is honestly rare.

And the toys mostly "live" in a corner of our great room (it is a huge room, 20+ feet square...) The pile/area is larger than I would like, but it's contained! We have a bookshelf, bins, and multiple baskets to hold everything. As the kids get older and we get our basement rec area finished, we will migrate things there (and thin the toys out)!

Toys are not kept anywhere else. The only thing in their bedrooms besides their beds and dressers is books. So I think like Laurel, we've kept the rest of our house pretty clean because the toys are always returned to one area.

One 'cheat' we have is that we have a cleaning service vacuum/mop our floors and deep clean all the bathrooms every 2 weeks. Because I work full-time, I feel that $$ is worth every cent so my evenings & weekends with the kids aren't spent cleaning toilets.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
January 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninky View Post
Let's just say.... I never invite anyone over. LOL. I'm really really trying to keep things clean recently though. I'm trying to get into the habit of doing certain things more regularly. This way, when we're ready to sell, I can keep things at a constant, since potential buyers wouldn't want to see a mess.
This sounds a lot like us. DH & I are both pretty messy and cleaning house becomes a low priority. When we had just Dominic toys did get cleaned up on a nightly basis, but not anymore. And anytime we have company over I freak out b/c it is such a chore trying to get the whole place cleaned. My neighbor across the street is a neat freak and so we have playdates by her place way more often than mine. In the summer it's better b/c I'm home and can keep up on the cleaning. Oh, and the 10 months or so that we had our condo on the market was the cleanest our home has ever been b/c we sometimes get calls literally hours before someone wanted to come check out and when you're desperate to sell you don't say no to any showings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallie74 View Post
One 'cheat' we have is that we have a cleaning service vacuum/mop our floors and deep clean all the bathrooms every 2 weeks. Because I work full-time, I feel that $$ is worth every cent so my evenings & weekends with the kids aren't spent cleaning toilets.
I keep telling DH we need to do this, that I would be a lot happier mommy & wife if I wasn't stressed out about cleaning. But right now finances are pretty tight, maybe in the near future...

Cara's sweethearts
January 31st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right now it is pretty messy. We are still trying to find our groove in this house.There is still a bunch of stuff in the corner of our bedroom that needs to be unpacked/a home found for, and then in the dining room my nursing chair is FULL of junk and all around crap that needs to be organized and put away (My chair does not belong in the dining room, but is the only place it fits for now) Our love seat is usually covered in laundry or clean diapers, and the room that is supposed to be Eves is full of unpacked boxes and laundry. I H-A-T-E it. I know I would feel so much better if I could get a handle on it. When we moved, we had the holidays immediately, but now that those are over I am slowly chiselling away at the mess. It seems like when I am able to make progress with the unpacking and organizing, then the normal household chores like laundry etc get backed up, but I have to turn a blind eye to that because I could literally do every day house cleaning stuff ALL DAY LONG and still feel like I'm playing catch up on it.

In all, our house is CLEAN. It is sanitary, it is not dangerous. But I do know that I would feel a lot better if I could get rid of the constant pile of laundry on the couch and random stuff that DH refuses to find a place for.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 1st, 2012, 11:33 AM
~Michele~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It could be way cleaner if I cared more about it but I don't. There is much more I'd rather be doing. It looks presentable at the end of the day (most days) but if the kids are home, forget it, there are toys in places they don't belong. We clean up before we move onto something (go outside, eat lunch, etc) Before they go up for a bath they clean up their toys for the night. The bathroom and kitchen get cleaned when i am in the mood or when it needs it. My house is not gross but it could be cleaner.
Effervescence likes this.

February 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Hawaiian Punch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OUr home is really clean. I have a rule that if they are actively playing with it, it is fine to have it out but if not, it has to be put away. I also pick up a couple times during the day. We don't have a playroom so we have toys in our livingroom (not the first room you enter). I also follow the Motivated Moms list with cleaning so my home is always "company ready."

Proud Mom to Daniel born on August 1, 2006 and Matthew born on September 4, 2008
I'm a proud breastfeeding mom too!!

Missing our angel (m/c 5-14-10; 6 weeks)
February 1st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL, define clean
I'm definitely in the "could be better, could be worse" category. Our downstairs TV/playroom is definitely the messiest room in the house. I try to keep Toby's toys put away when he's not playing with them, but there are usually some random trucks in different areas of the house. Our upstairs living room and dining room area is almost always company ready, but only because we're rarely in there. I clean the bathroom when it needs it, and the kitchen about every other day, but neither are what you'd call "spotless." Our laundry room usually has a "to do" pile, and there are often piles of clean clothes on the chair downstairs.
DH and I both work full time, and I'm in school, so cleaning is just WAY low on our priority list. I should probably be better, but there are just so many more important things in life, I can't bring myself to care that much

February 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is generally pretty clean here. Clutter comes and goes throught the day. I tend to pick up before we move on from one thing to another. We pick up before meals, after playing a game, before leaving the house. However, we do have an basket/toy area in our livingroom plus toys in Thea's room. But I do have them all put away or organized at bedtime. If you knock on my door at 2pm or 6pm, no gaurntee that there won't be toys strewn across the floor.
This is no thanks to Justin either, he would have piles of mail and such around if I didn't take care of them myself. He also produces the most crumbs of any person I know - I hate it when he is in my kitchen!
My friends comment on the cleanliness of my house, but I don't think it is as clean as they do. I just tell them that I am a stay at home mom with one kid - I have time to clean some everyday.
February 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Ours is middle-of-the-road. Right now, Cait's got a floor puzzle going in the middle of the living room. Later today, the puzzle will be picked up but every blanket in the house will probably be in that spot. (She likes to sit in the pile and 'read'.) Dishes get done, bathroom gets cleaned, laundry gets done. It's definitely not spotless, but it's not a pigsty.

...Except the top of the fridge, the only place in the house that's completely safe from Cait. That poor fridge has SO MUCH STUFF on it.

Ninja edit: we also have a basket in the living room for toys. I don't notice little toys until after she's gone to bed most nights, and I hate waking her up by going in and putting stuff away, so it all goes in the basket until morning.
February 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My house is not as clean as I'd like it to be. I work FT so mainly cleaning is done on weekends, but if we're super busy or out of town, some things get pushed back. I don't have much time during the week. It's more like come home, make dinner, eat and clean up, and then it's just about time to get the kids to bed. We try to pick up the toys in the TV room (where the toy box and majority of toys are) every night.

Clutter is our biggest problem, and if I had a house with more storage we'd be in better shape. The kitchen counters get cluttered and the dining room table. There are built-ins in the dining room that have stuff piled on top out of reach of the kids. And our bedroom is cluttered with laundry. I always have baskets on the floor that either need to be folded/put away, or thrown in the wash.

I will say that when I'm by myself, I keep the house clean. There have been times when DH took the kids out of town to my parents' for a week in the summer and I had the house to myself. I got it just about spotless and kept it that way till they got home. By the next day it was a mess again. I will also say that if I was a SAHM my house would be cleaner, because I would be able to do little things throughout the day to keep up the cleanliness.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search