WFD

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
tonight?

Matt and I are having PW Chicken Tortilla Soup, Sam is having mini slider burgers, Brianne is having ribs and both girls are having corn and rice.

<3

<3
February 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Lasagna - nothing fancy, just a PC frozen one. Some garlic bread and salad to go with it.

February 1st, 2012, 01:05 PM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea. Same answer as always. How do you plan meals?? Trudy you always have such interesting things for dinner. How do you plan it all out and decide/buy for meals?

I need guidance!

My Blog
February 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Heather - I haven't been as good at meal planning lately. I really do need to start again as I am way more organized, waste less and less stress (ie. forgetting stuff) when I plan.

What I try to do is sit down on Sunday at some point (usually when Sam is asleep) and try and plan meals until at least Thursday. I like to fit in one new recipe a week. I am huge fan of food blogs and find most of my recipes there. I also always try to have a really, really easy standby (usually a pantry meal) just in case I do not feel like cooking and, for the most part, I try and pick meals that can be done in an hour or less... though the recipe tonight is not one of them!

I am also finding Pinterest to be a good source for recipes!

If I have anything that calls for alot of vegetables (ie. chicken pot pie) then I will try and pick one other recipe that week to make sure I use up the veggies... ie. a soup.

If I am making something Sam won't eat, then I make sure I have a quick fix meal for her.

I have a word doc on my desktop that lists the days and I just fill in the meals. I have a separate category for anything special I want to try that week (ie. muffins for breakfast) and then my shopping list at the end.

Also, I don't really follow the list religiously.. (ie. that specific meal on that specific day). I usually decide in the AM or the night before what we'll have and thaw/prepare accordingly.

<3

<3
February 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
hubby is gone so we are having homemade mac and cheese and peas/salad. im starving.
February 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Grilled chicken salads! Woot! I had a ceasar and DH had a garden salad. I made sauteed shrimp in butter garlic sauce over angel hair with peas for Maddie. yum!

February 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM
I've found a lot of good recipe ideas surfing pinterest.

I'm trying to try one new recipe per shopping trip. This week it was Recipe Board / White Cheddar Chicken Pasta
I liked it but DH was like so - so so it's something i may make once a month.

This is a GREAT recipe! It's become a staple 2-3 times a month in our house Recipe Board / Chicken and Mushrooms in Garlic White Wine Sauce - Made for a good dinner tonight.

I've been incorporating more salads as midmorning snacks at work. I'm trying to eat small meals throughout the day to keep me from crashing right after dinner. I'm amping up to start a new workout regime March 1 again this year.

I'm looking into more seafood recipes, i'm not sure if you can eat that but I'll share any good recipes I find. The grocery stores sell alot of pre-made ready to cook fish filets already seasoned I may try. I also want to give scallops a try. And a shrimp alfredo dish is next on my list to try.

The best way to meal plan is go with staples you can mix and match into meals and go with whatever you feel like that afternoon!

February 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we had pesto shrimp over angel hair pasta, my MIL had us for dinner it was really good! and I didn't have to cook!
February 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Aidan's Mommy
I've been falling down on my meal planning too and it stresses me out. I hate trying to think of something the day of and being limited by what I may or may not have in the house.

For my meal planning, I have an excel sheet that lists all my "usual" meals, there's about 20 or so of them. I have a 6 week cycle,that I don't always follow in that order, but what I'll do at the beginning of the week is just pick a week that looks good to me and shop to that. I don't follow it to the T, if I find I'm not in the mood for what is planned that day, I don't freak out about substituting it with something else, assuming I have all that I need.

February 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We had roasted chicken with potatoes drizzled in a soy sauce/red wine vinegar dressing type stuff. It's so freaking good!

For meal planning we work it out on Wednesday nights since we get paid on Thursdays. Usually we plan for 6-7 meals and shop from our menu. We also go into it knowing that we'll most likely go out for dinner one night so one meal is something that can easily be made for a nice family lunch on one of DH's days off. After we get the meal list made we add in the staples (milk, bread, lunchmeat, etc) and as we shop we grab the extras (lunches for DH and me, chips, other snacks). I can't believe there was ever a time when we shopped without a list or menu planned!

Oh, also when I'm shopping and see a good deal on something I'll grab a few so I can plan the menu ahead a few weeks. The chicken we ate tonight was .69c/lb and normally I would have bought 3-4 of them at that price but for whatever reason I didn't. If I had that would have covered meals for another 2 months or so by spacing out that dinner. We also buy family size packages of pork chops that will stretch over 2 weeks (we love pork chop night!) and a family size pack of fresh chicken breast that we can use for 3-4 meals. I just portion both of them out right when we get home and put one pack of each in the fridge for the next 2 meals and the rest goes in the freezer.
February 1st, 2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I blew the dust off some of my bookmarks. Here is a site I like, she's a menu planning junkie...

Menu Planning Resources : I'm an Organizing Junkie

<3

<3
February 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Haha, Gillian databases meals

Planning lunches for 2 working adults into the meal plan is no easy task too. I'm limited to leftovers, can soup and frozen healthy choice meals. Ugh.

February 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Scootaloo~* View Post
Haha, Gillian databases meals

Planning lunches for 2 working adults into the meal plan is no easy task too. I'm limited to leftovers, can soup and frozen healthy choice meals. Ugh.
I don't do anything if I can't spreadsheet it!

February 1st, 2012, 08:03 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I attempted to start a spreadsheet for meals because we get into ruts where we make the same meals for like 3 weeks straight and we burn out on those things.

And yeah, planning lunches is hard. DH usually takes dinner leftovers. I usually see what Lean Cuisine meals are on sale and stock up, but that's a big chunk of our grocery budget so I don't always like to do that either.
February 1st, 2012, 09:55 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's how I meal plan:
1. Inventory what's on hand or needs to be used up.
2. Write down the things I already know I need to buy (rice, eggs, milk, etc).
3. Find some meals using what's on hand and what I already need to buy.
4. Pick a few other meals (usually a couple more than I really need to shop for).
5. Add in lunch/breakfast stuff.
6. Write everything down and head to the store. As I'm shopping, I'll compare prices on the meals from step 4. Then I buy the cheapest ones.

February 2nd, 2012, 05:40 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Lunches are a whole other thing that I don't even attempt to plan yet. DH takes leftovers and Aidan is covered at daycare. I just grab whatever, like a sandwich or some cheese and crackers or sometimes nothing at all. I'll have to start doing more lunch planning when Aidan starts JK in the fall and I'll need to be packing lunches for him, something I am really really not looking forward to.

February 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, lunch packing isn't fun... especially with a picky eater I feel like she eats ham and carrots *all* the time.

<3

<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search