Biting

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have any of you had to deal with your child repeatedly biting? Any tips on to stop this?

First off, it's Ella who is biting, not Dom. It actually started several months backs...early Fall, maybe. It would happen once a week or so, but in the last month or so it's becoming a daily occurrence, sometimes more! 95% of the time it's Dominic that she bites. With him it is always aggressive, he takes one of his toys from her (usually b/c she took it from him) and she responds by biting him in the back, shoulders or hips. She has even broken the skin a few times! On a handful of occasions she has "playffully" bit DH & I when we were tickling her or wrestling w/ her. Our response has always been to remove her from the situation, put our finger on her mouth & say "we don't bite". We also give her one minute time outs.
I talked to our pedi at her appt last week. She said the only other thing we can really do is try to be proactive - if it looks like she might bite quickly say " remember, no biting." Also, she suggested that if Dom wants his toy back he should let us know so we can watch Ella... Not sure I like this idea b/c it feels like I'm encouraging him to tattle and I really want my kids to learn to solve problems on their own. She also asked about teething. Ella did cut three new teeth around the holidays, which is when the biting seemed to increase, and the pedi looked at the appt and says it looks like she's cutting another 2 or 3 teeth now. Maybe when she gets all her teeth this will be done?? But I really don't want to wait for that, poor Dom has all these marks on his back and I feel really bad.

So again, any suggestions?

Cara's sweethearts
February 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Violet has bit Lily a few times, but never anyone else. She seems to do it as a joke though and not when she's mad. But regardless of the situation, we tell her "we do not bite" and remove her from Lily. She's only done it a few times though, so it hasn't been a big thing here.

February 3rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I worked in the ones room, we had a lot of biters at first. One of the things that my aid and I did to stop it was to teach the kids sign language, so they had a way other than biting to express "stop" and "mine." It honestly helped, the rate of biting dropped drastically after we started using baby signs in the classroom! When a child would bite, we would get down on eye level with them and say "NO! We don't BITE! Teeth are for our food, not for biting our friends!" We had a very specific tone that was used ONLY for biting, it was very serious, not necessarily louder, but just a very serious and specific tone. Then the child got put in time out while we checked the bitten child/applied ice etc. We would try to have one teacher deal with the biter immediately while the other teacher did first aid and calmed down the bitten child, but if there was only one teacher, it was very important that the biter was talked to first, or they might not understand if you come back later and try to reprimand them.

We also used a book called Teeth are Not For Biting.

I hope that helps, and if it gives you any peace of mind it is usually a stage that they outgrow by the time they are able to talk better and communicate their feelings. Most of the time it is a communication thing, especially when it occurs during a fight over a toy or when someone is doing something they don't like. Good luck; I know it's tough!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, and I forgot, we also kept things within their reach/in the toy area (where the bites typically happened) that were appropriate for biting- teething toys, rags etc. They got sterilized several times throughout the day, and gave the kids an alternative to biting their friends. If Ella is teething that might help too, if you keep things like that around the house in various places and let her know that it's okay to bite THOSE things. Some of the kids' parents gave us permission to give them their binkies to chew on all day, which wasn't ideal (we weren't really allowed to let the kids have binkies outside of bed b/c of health code) but it also worked for the biters who were teething. If their friends got too close to their mouth, it was okay because their mouth was already plugged! That wouldn't work if Eve were biting though because she never took a binky, and I'm pretty sure I would want her broken of it by now if she did, so I understand that might not be viable, but thought I'd throw it out there in case.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Lucy used to bite Leigh often. Nothing we did worked, she kept on biting. Steve (against my wishes & not in my presence) even tried the "bite her back" method which had no effect. She eventually grew out of it. I would say "No bite" firmly and remove her from the situation. After a while, I realized she would only bite if 1) she was teething and 2) if Leigh's juicy bare skin presented an opportunity. Lucy just liked the way it felt, I think. I was proactive, gave Lucy teething toys, kept them separated as much as possible, and kept Leigh in long sleeves/pants (it really helped!)

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search