Update on our baby making

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
We had a consultation at a new fertility center out here on Monday, so exciting because its a new low cost IVF center that just opened late last year, about 50% lower in cost than most centers in the USA but they have great success rates and are responsible for some of the first successes with ART's (Advanced Reproduction Technologies).

After our consult we've decided to pursue IVF. This doctor was extremely optimistic, he said I was like a golden candidate for IVF and said he was certain I would be pregnant before June! They checked out my ovaries where he said I had an abundance of eggs, 9 in my right ovary, and 11 in my left. Being that I am still young, only 29 with no fertility problems and the fertility issues only lie with my dh, he's given me a 70%+ chance of success the first round of IVF and a 90% chance of success the second time, he said all dh needed to have was a few sperm since they'll be using ICSI which is a procedure they use to insert 1 little sperm with a needle directly into my egg...though dh has way more than a few sperm, his counts were about 20 million last time when normal is above 40 million, so he still has a good amount but its low. He even said we could try IUI but our chance of success was about 12-15%, not a risk I am willing to take being that it may take 10 IUI's to get pregnant, he said doing the low cost IVF usually averages out to less cost because it takes so many IUI's to work when dealing with male factor. So we'd rather put our money where the best success will be.

We were blessed that a woman that got pregnant last July has offered to donate me $1300 worth of left over meds she had from her cycle, she is donating the most expensive med for IVF so I am so very grateful to her!

We have 3 more natural cycles to try, this cycle coming up in about 5-6 days, March, and April cycle, if no BFP (still praying for a miracle), we'll be doing IVF beginning the first week of May where I'll start stimulating, I should know by the 3rd week in May if I am pregnant. We will be transferring 2 embryo's so we'll have about a 20% chance of twins, which we're ok with at this point.

I do still hope we're surprised before hand, that will be a savings of about $8k! And I get to avoid all those not so lovely shots that I have to give myself...but right now, I am willing to do whatever it takes to give Jacob a sibling...keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; February 22nd, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
February 22nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
That's so exciting!!! I hope you get a miracle, but 8K is nothing when you want something so badly.
February 22nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am pulling for you Jo... and 8K is great for IVF!!

My Blog
February 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So exciting! Can't wait to hear great news from you.

February 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
You're in my prayers Jo!
February 23rd, 2012, 06:10 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Very exciting!! I think given your circumstances and dealing with MF, that ICSI w/IVF is a really really good option for you and the $8K is a very reasonable cost for a round. Does that include anything for subsequent FET cycles (assuming extra embryos)?

The only thing of what you said that has me wondering is the REs response to your antral follicle count of 9 & 11 being "an abundance". My understanding is that high teens are usually what they look for to be predictive of success to stimulation. And that "normal" with average response is in around what you're showing. Not trying to be negative, just keeping it real. My experience with IVF is that keeping it real is extremely important to sanity. Plus, I'm not a doctor and I did this like 5 years ago and a lot changes in 5 years!

I'm really very excited for you and I'm very optimistic for you as well that this will be your answer. IVF can be a very taxing endeavour, so stay strong and lean on your faith and that will help you through. If you ever want to talk about the experience at all, I'm here for you. Good luck!!

February 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMommyProject View Post
The only thing of what you said that has me wondering is the REs response to your antral follicle count of 9 & 11 being "an abundance". My understanding is that high teens are usually what they look for to be predictive of success to stimulation. And that "normal" with average response is in around what you're showing. Not trying to be negative, just keeping it real. My experience with IVF is that keeping it real is extremely important to sanity. Plus, I'm not a doctor and I did this like 5 years ago and a lot changes in 5 years!
I actually may not have worded it exactly as he put it, I was given so much information that day that it was overwhelming. I think he said something more along the lines of having a nice harvest of follies in my ovaries? Something along those lines, abundance may not have been the word! The feeling I got was that he was seeing a nice number of follies and that I had nothing to worry about as far as numbers of follies that were waiting in my ovaries. And no, your right, you need to have a realistic mind going into this, its no guarentee. I definitely may have some questions for you about the whole procedure!

The success rates at this place are some of the highest I've seen so I really do trust him when he says I am a great candidate for this...he said he is more concerned with cases of female infertility and older women. Of course I know this isn't 100% but it sure beats the 3-5% chance we're given each month naturally. $8k is an awesome price, it includes all monitoring, the IVF procedure, ICSI if needed, assisted hatching if needed, and meds (without meds its $6500). It is extra to freeze embryos, I think $750 for a year? Something along those lines.

There has also been a recent study finding that a procedure called endometrial biopsy has been shown to greatly increase the success of implantation with IVF, in some studies, as much as 50% higher implantation rates so the Dr wants to do this on me the month before my IVF. I read they mainly use it for people who have had previous failed IVF cycles but I think for this center to keep its awesome success rates, they give it their best shot at success the first time.

Thank you for the kind words and prayers everyone, we're so excited to possibly be expecting soon, I'm so ready and Jacob will be an awesome big brother!

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; February 23rd, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
February 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
The success rates sounds really great and you have your age and the fact that you are dealing with male factore and not female bodes really well for you guys. Your positive attitude goes a really long way too.

That's interesting about the endo biopsy and implantation. I had one done before Aidan, but it was for testing my lining to try to sort out my recurring loss and to see if there was an issue. Kinda cool that it could help with success. I will tell you though, that procedure hurt like a son of gun. Good news is, it was quick!

KUP on your progress. I'll definitely be watching to see how you're doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search