Swimming

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noah and lola's mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 04:32 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Does your LO take lessons, or know how to swim?
Do you go to the pool often in the summer, or not so much?

I've really been wanting to go swimming lately! I need to get a swim diaper for Andrew and take him one of these days just for the heck of it.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 26th, 2012, 05:23 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just have little inflatable pools in the backyard and maybe one trip to my mom's in the summer (she has a pool). I am too cheap to pay for a pool membership somewhere. LOL I plan to sign Leah up for swimming lessons when she's 5-6 yrs old and more apt to take direction from other adults.

April 26th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Julka
We have an indoor swimming pool in my building that's open everyday year-round, but I practically never go. Not big on pools/swimming in general. I might sign Veronika for swimming lessons when she's older. Probably through a community centre though just so she gets basic swim training; there is a super sophisticated swimming school a short walking distance from me, but their prices are insane.
April 26th, 2012, 06:37 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My girls took a few lessons last summer, and I am going to sign them up for more lessons this summer. We don't go to the pool that often, but I do want them to be able to swim.

April 26th, 2012, 07:20 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well right now Kate is too young for lessons IMO, but I'm taking her swimming monthly and she's already learning some pool basics. Right now I'm just trying to get her comfortable in the water, having fun, learning to put her face in, learning to kick and float, etc. Okay that sounds like a lot. lol

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
April 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I haven't signed Kate up for swim lessons. My inlaws just got a pool last summer so I'm going to work with her there this summer and see how comfortable she is. IMO it is important for children to know how to swim, not swim team swimmers, but at least water safety and comfortableness in water. Lily is my little fish, she will continue with swim lessons this summer.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
Brennan and Jamie start lessons in May - yay, finally! We don't swim much, but I definitely want them to know how to swim. DH and I both swam competitively as kids, so my hope is that they really take to it and love it!
April 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the four kids are in lessons once a week right now, E loves swimming
April 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Ellie has been going to swim lessons since Sept.

She's starting to make progress. She actually looks like she can sort of swim now. LOL We go twice a week for 30 min sessions. She loves it and always asks if it is "Tuesday" b/c she knows that is when we go.

I think I was a bit out of touch with reality when we started lessons. I figured a few sessions and she would be swimming laps. Maybe not laps but at least across the pool.
Anyone who is thinking about starting lessons- Realize It is kind of a slow process. They learn how to move their arms, legs and blow bubbles and then build from there. I'm sure she would be more advanced if we went to open swim but I'm not much of a pool person.
April 28th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We got a pool for this reason. It is much more convenient for me to run out in the backyard and swim with the kids every day in summer than drive them all into town every day and pay for all the lessons. It's only about 4 feet deep so shallow enough that I don't worry too much but deep enough to learn to swim in. So far my oldest two can swim and I expect the younger ones to figure it out in the next few years.

Experience seems to be a good teacher. I've given them a few pointers but for the most part they figure it out by themselves.
April 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No swim lessons for Ethan yet. We don't belong to a pool (we were but too busy to go) and our neighbor has a nice inground pool that we swim in sometimes. Ethan isn't afraid of water which scares me to death. He knows how to kick his feet and paddle his arms. I don't know how to swim, I only know how to swim to save my life. Dh used to be on a swim team growing up. I figure if we're all drowning, he can save us

May 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't had Kai in lessons since he was a toddler. I hope to get him into lessons this summer. He loves the water and is very comfortable in it, with his life vest on. We try to go to the pool once a week at least.
June 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We go to the pool several times a week....it's really close. Beth and Matt know how to swim, but Carrie is just learning. She'll take some lessons later this summer.
June 18th, 2012, 07:54 PM
NoahandLola's Mommy
Lola has been taking lessons since before she was one. She loves the water so we did mommy and me until she was 3 and then switched to group lessons. We go to an indoor place year round (except for the summer session where things are crowded) - so 40 weeks a year. The swim place is awesome and she loves it. She is an excellent swimmer. She can do side stroke, back stroke, free style and breast. She can do butterfly kick but not the arms. I am amazed at what a 4 year old can do and still have a blast!!!
clouise likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search