Gardens

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doremi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2012, 07:38 AM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone planting a garden this year? What kind of things do you / will you have growing?

We have raspberry bushes that grow like wild. I was also hoping to plant a few things this year - peppers, carrots & watermelons. Unfortunately we had an incident yesterday. I had filled all my little pots with dirt, poured my seeds in them and then made the mistake of stepping back in the house for just a moment while the kids played out side. I was gone less than a minute when I heard Dominic screaming. I go outside and I find Ella had climbed up on a chair that I *thought* was too tall for her. Using the chair she had climbed up onto the table where I had all my pots and had proceeded to pour them all out into one big pile!!! Dominic was so upset that we now weren't going to have any fruits or vegetables. I did clean it all up and put all the seeds and dirt back into the pots. I'm going to still water them and see if they'll grow at all. Just not sure how that's all going to work. In the mean time, I'll have to go back to the store and buy some more seeds.

Cara's sweethearts
May 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I've got several kinds of lettuce, green onions, swiss chard, chives, mint, two kinds of blueberries, and two kinds of garlic growing in planter boxes on my deck. I'm also planning on planting cherry tomatoes, bush beans, peas, pumpkins, yellow crookneck squash, and strawberries in our side garden. My goal is to have it planted by this weekend... the weather is just now getting warm enough here! I need to do some weeding and put some new topsoil/fertilizer in the dirt before we can plant. We'll see if it gets done in the next few days!!!

May 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have two lettuce boxes with romain and a purple lettuce, spinich in planters on the deck, aparagus in the side flower garden and in the actual garden there is sweet corn, onions, carrots, peas and tomatoes. We also have our grape vine.
It got warm so early here we planted most everything last month and everything is up already except the asaragus. I thought the hail would have killed a lot, but luckily it only killed a few small carrot plants.
May 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
~Michele~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do the raspberries and blueberries grow? do you need more than one bush to get them to grow fruit? I almost planted both this year. We will do what we normally do....tomatoes, peppers, and basil. We have a VERY SMALL area for our garden so this is perfect. We have planted the basil and one tomato plant from seed. We have one pepper plant that Max got from doing the Home Depot kids project last week. We will get the rest in the next two weeks.

May 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't plant the raspberries I have; they were already there when I bought the house. Word of warning: raspberries grow and spread like crazy. Every summer I have to pull a bunch out of our lawn that's near and pull them out of the rest of my garden. I did plant a blueberry plant last year, but forgot to water it so it died. But I remember the instructions that came with it did say that it can take 3-5 years to bear fruit.

Cara's sweethearts
May 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Blueberry plants do best with more than one plant so they cross pollinate... doesn't have to be the same kind of blueberry plant though. We have a pink lemonade plant and a regular blueberry plant growing about 3 ft. apart from each other. Raspberries require a lot of room, and have to be trimmed down each year... they are kind of a pain to maintain. If you don't have a very big space, I would skip those. One thing that works really good in a small space is the yellow crookneck squash... it doesn't spread, is fairly compact, and you get a lot of produce from each plant! Putting in a trellis can help grow a bunch of stuff too... you can train squash, peas and beans up the trellis. Or if you have a chain link fence, they will grow up that too!

May 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a much smaller garden this year. I also bought plants from the nursery whereas last year we tried to get everything to grow from seed. We have a lot of broccoli, because that is what both Eve and Jonah said they wanted to grow in the garden. We have red lettuce, bib lettuce, and romaine lettuce, thyme, basil, oregano, and lavendar, and jalepenos and green peppers... so far. I am going to plant some carrot seeds and see how those do in our box, and I am also going to try adding a trellis for cucumbers. I've seen a lot of innovative gardens on pinterest- one grows plants from holes in a larg plastic pipe, so the garden goes vertical instead of along the ground, and another grows things like lettuce and herbs in a hanging shoe organizer! We are definitely going to grow some tomatoes too; I have seperate planters for those. We only have a very narrow strip of the yard to use for a garden... much different than our three acres we had last year! The kids are missing our berry bushes...

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
We have raspberries - I planted them last year and they're not doing too much. I guess I don't have the problem the rest of you do!

Last year, our garden was tomatoes, basil, cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkins, squash, green beans, peas. Gophers ate the melons, deer ate the basil and a lot of tomatoes (but we had plenty). This year, the gophers just ate the last of the tomatoes I planted, even though they didn't touch them last year. I'm starting over with root cages I bought yesterday. Tomatoes, basil, pumpkins, green beans, raspberries, blueberries, and we planted several fruit trees - nectarine, pear, fig, apricot, in addition to our well-established apple trees and our one plum tree that flowers but doesn't produce fruit. It probably needs a pollinator. I also started a small herb garden, thyme, sage, cilantro, more basil.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

May 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We stayed really small this year - a variety of tomato plants, bush beans, broccoli, cucumber and some peppers. Plus, we have fruit trees and blueberry bushes in our yard.

May 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Lisa, I don't remember when you guys moved into your new house, but most plum trees only produce every other year, sometimes every 3 years. They flower in the off years. So, maybe there is hope still for your plum tree!
Effervescence likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search