8 Alarmingly Unhealthy Snacks for Kids

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TripleAmommy
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By ~*Kixs*~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2012, 10:06 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Thought this was worth the read! The only thing on there I am guilty of buying occasionally are the Ritz crackers...
8 Alarmingly Unhealthy Snacks for Kids | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Shine

May 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I don't buy any of that, I mean there are some pretty obvious ones on that list. Like cheetos? Obviously, those aren't good for you.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
May 13th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I buy the auntie annes pretzels every once in a blue moon as a treat.. honestly I don't know the last time I did though! Actually I think it was when I worked at a Borders in a mall, before Jonah was even concieved. But I do like them, I'll admit

I also buy the ritz... for myself haha!My mom always bought ritz and I love snacking on them. I give them to the kids sometimes but now will think twice.

It is really hard to find unsweetened apple sauce, or apple sauce where the only ingredient is apples, around here. I started making our own because it's so simple and doesn't take long at all. That way I know what goes into it, and we can even pick what kind of apples to use

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Jess, I LOVE homemade applesauce... YUM! I think it tastes best when made with apple juice as the liquid instead of water, and a little nutmeg thrown in too!

May 14th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm really not surprised by any of that stuff! The only thing I buy is Ritz crackers (just the original Ritz). Julianna just LOVES them, so I keep them in the diaper bag for if she gets snacky in the car, lol.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
May 14th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't buy any of those specific items. The kids eat whole wheat ritz and regular pretzels but I don't think that's what they were referring too. Oh and we also eat pop corn - from the boy scouts. I'll have to look on the nutrion facts for those, but they don't eat it all the time. Same with cheese puffs - maybe a few times a year??? It's not going to kill them.
Jess that's weird you can't find unsweetened apple sauce - every store here (except Costco) sells multiple brands of it. I can find it in all the store brands too (Walmart, target, cub, roundy's, etc).
Effervescence likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
May 14th, 2012, 07:23 AM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We eat a lot of microwave popcorn, which I read somewhere is horrible--not for the fat/calorie content, but for the cancer/disease risk factor... I can't remember exactly right now... has something to do with the way the kernels are processed to make them pop in the microwave but I am too lazy to look it up right now!

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
May 14th, 2012, 08:28 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I don't think any of that is available here, we snack on fruit, real cheese, carrot sticks celery, dip and biscuits.. things like that.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

May 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Kallie, did you know you can make your own microwave popcorn? All you have to do is put some kernels in a brown paper lunch sack and fold down the open end, then pop! It turns out really good! And you can salt and butter it afterwards!

May 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't buy any of that. Snacks are strictly healthy around here.

May 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sarah, you beat me to the microwave popcorn bit!

Diana, I have recently found it at Giant Eagle, in their store brand. Our Target only carries Motts. I have seen double-the-price big name organic brands of unsweetened apple sauce, but it always seemed cheaper to just make it. My sister noted the same thing when I gave her a recipe for oatmeal cookies that uses unsweetened applesauce!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't buy/eat any of those. I actually hate popcorn

May 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My family LOVES popcorn! But I don't feel guilty about it b/c my sister got me an airpop machine for Christmas so we make our own at home

My kids also love yogurt, I make a lot of muffins (mostly pumpkin), we love cheese puffs (but rarely buy them), love Ritz crackers with peanut butter or cheese on them, and when we do go to the mall (not that often) we get a Aunt Annie's cinnamon sugar pretzel for a treat.

I think I am the least healthy mom here. LOL O'well, everything in moderation, right?

May 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I think the only bad snack they eat sometimes is the cheese puffs - sometimes we get the Pirate's Booty puffs from Costco. Maybe twice in their lifetime.

I remember reading that the cancer risk from microwave popcorn is the fake "butter" stuff they put all over it.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

May 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Sonshine1296's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most of those seem like common sense to me that being said I think everything in moderation is key. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search