Has Your Child Ever Done This?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Sonshine1296's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The other day Tom and I looked up and Abby was outside the front door. This isn't the first time. She goes into time out and gets a talking to. We are trying to help her understand that this isn't okay and isn't safe.
Has your child ever done this and how did you deal with it?
Would it make a difference if it were your front yard or back yard?

May 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids go outside ALL the time. With or without clothes on. They will say "I was going to the book store!" or "I'm going to take the bus by myself to the park!" Ummmm no. I know for Jonah part of this is Max and Ruby. They are always doing stuff alone. I know this is the reason because Jonah will SAY "Max and Ruby ride on the bus by myselfs" (he means THEMselves) so we are taking a break from that show. They also always do it when I'm going to the bathroom, trying to put on some clothes for the day (nothing glamorous, just jeans and a top, and they STILL cause mayhem! LOL) or am doing the laundry etc. So if I know I am not going to be immediately with them, then I make sure that the screen doors are locked. They unlock the big doors, but haven't figured out the screen door locks yet

They also get time out and a very stern talking to. It doesn't matter front yard or back yard in respects to their punishment, but it isn't as dangerous for them to go to the back yard. It is fenced in and has enough to keep them occupied that they won't wander down the street. They usually go to the back yard if they hear or see one of the neighbors out

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 31st, 2012, 04:40 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids are outside all the time but they are also very good about asking to go outside first. My 6-year old is trained well to do this and always asks, so Tommy has figured it out to ask most times as well.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
May 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
She's only done it once, and it was actually a really long time ago. She doesn't try anymore - there's nothing exciting in the area around the door, and she is inexplicably terrified of moving vehicles so she won't go near the street by herself anyway.
June 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
If we had a fenced backyard I'd be ok with it. But I'm terrified of the day Tristan feels like going exploring without me. Granted, he still requires more supervision than the average almost 4 year old, so it's unlikely to happen. And I think he has a decent grasp on "look for traffic before you cross the street." Maybe this is where his autism is beneficial, also; he's unlikely to actually engage with or go off with a stranger without specific cues.

June 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday was the first time Dom has ever left the house without asking. I actually caught him heading out the back patio door. I asked him what he was doing and he said "Going outside." (duh!). I just told him he had to ask permission, that he can't go out without letting me or dad know. I didn't punish him b/c it's never come up before, but if it happens gain it will be a time out. He is allowed to play in the backyard without me and he knows that. But he has to ask.

Cara's sweethearts
June 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM
kll074's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No....I still have child proof locks on all doors leading outside and to the basement. We leave at the end of the cul-de-sac, but I still don't let the girls go outside to play by themselves.
[

June 18th, 2012, 11:19 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Only Ben tries to do this. We put a chain lock on the front door, up too high for him to reach, and I don't worry about the back door because our yard is fenced in. The girls are too traffic-savvy to go out in the street alone.

I worry about this, though, because my mother always talks about the time my brother was 3 years old, and successfully walked over a mile by himself to the market to buy a gumball. And back again. My parents weren't home - they had a sitter whom they never used again. They were also in Liberia with the Peace Corps, so things were a little bit different there obviously, but definitely still terrifying.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

June 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM
maddy and tommy's mommy's Avatar Lovin my precious kiddos!
Nope!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!
July 31st, 2012, 08:37 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, she's not able to escape my house since there are locks on that are hard to get off. I think once we have the new doors installed there's going to be a problem because my in-laws live down the street and Jordin knows it.

But last year we were at my in-laws house during the town wide yard sale. Thought they'd have their door locks on, but nope. Jordin escaped their house and went over to the neighbor. I was so mad they weren't watching her more closely.

September 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
Maddie tries to go outside but luckily my front door sticks. lol We want to replace it but in a way it's a good thing that it sticks.

When Daddy goes outside and she wants to join him, she runs in my room and tries to go out the sliding glass door in there. I have my hubby putting a lock on it so she can't. We live in a small town, but we have no fenced in yard and I worry about them running in the street. If we had a fenced in yard I wouldn't mind letting them play. Plus we have a small pond in the front yard and if they fall in....ugh. Scares the crap out of me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search