Cystic Fibrosis

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2012, 10:08 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Does anyone have experience with this testing?

Olivias test came back elevated at the hospital. We are waiting on her second round to find out what we do from here.

I have done VERY LITTLE research on this becuase i dont want to scare myself. The little bit i read the other day went from me feeling better to feeling worse. I was tested for this when i was pregnant. My test came back negative ( you need both parents to be a carrier for baby to get it) however the more i read the more i found that they may not test for all types of CF, like the more rare ones.

Im trying to tell myself that everything is most likely fine, but then that voice in the back of my head says that people get rare diseases all the time.

Her pedi says that sometimes the hospitals test too early and that causes some discrepancies with the results. He also said that sometimes genes can mutate, even if both parents arent a carrier, so she could still end up with it.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this test coming back elevated for their baby.
June 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
I don't, but know that I'll be praying for good results! I'm sure she's fine - think about all those darn tests we take during pregnancy and in the end its alll usually fine, even though its so stressful at the time! Hopefully someone else can answer your question though!

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
June 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
I don't have any experience with this testing either, but I'll say a prayer for you!
June 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Sebastians_mom

Last edited by Sebastians_mom; August 14th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
June 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any experience with this other than my friend with both parents that are carriers and she has it. Her brother is a carrier, but he does not have CF. When will you go in to get more testing done?

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

June 4th, 2012, 07:07 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
She has already had the second test, we are just waiting on results. After that test, depending on the results he will refer us to a genetics counselor i believe to go forward with more testing.

Im really hoping it was just an early test ( which he did say could be why it was elevated) but its still so scary. I am not sure why its taken almost 4 weeks to get my second round back.
June 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm sorry I'm late with replying! I hope it was just something simple like the test being done too early. Please keep us posted, I hope you get the results really soon!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
June 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
Oh Shannon, so sorry your are going through this stress and worry. I am praying that this is just a false positive and you can move on. hope the waiting goes quick. Hugs.
June 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
TwoSweetGirls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hoping for an early test too. Keep us posted on the results.
June 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs! I will keep you in our thoughts. I hope that it is just an early test issue.
June 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haven't been on in a while, but saw the topic and thought to post.

Hugo had the CF test this year in a children's hospital because of his severe illnesses/hospitalizations this winter. We needed to rule out CF. Thank God, the final result came back negative, but I know how scary it can be to go through. Sending hugs and hoping for the best.

In a way, it's a good thing they screen newborns now so you won't have to go through the wringer later if your older child develops problems. They didn't have the newborn screening when either of mine was born.

Worst case scenario... many kids do live with CF with medical intervention... but thinking of it as a possibility is terrifying. Hang in there and keep us posted.

June 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Saying a prayer for you and baby Olivia. I know how unnerving it can be to think something might be wrong with your little one.
June 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Praying that it all is ok !

June 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Hey Shannon, have you gotten an update yet! Been thinking of you!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
June 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just now seeing this. I hope the second test results come back negative! Hugs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search