Supervision when outside.....spin off topic.

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
So I was reading the outside topic and wondering what is your family's rules on going outside unsupervised?

Is the fenced backyard only okay when you aren't watching or are you an open the front door and let the kids go anywhere in the neighbourhood?
June 13th, 2012, 10:05 AM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our back yard is fenced and I'll only let Mia go outside if she stays in my line of sight. We have windows all along the wall of our living room and kitchen so I can see her just about anywhere except at the side of the house. I would never just let her go in the front of the yard and roam around. I am waaaaay too overprotective for that.

June 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of us is always outside with Leah. Our yard is 3 acres and while it is completely surrounded by trees, we're just not comfortable with her playing unsupervised yet. I may run inside to grab a drink or something, but that's the extent of it.

June 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
David is allowed to play in our front yard, that has a six foot wooden fence, if i am going in and out. He us not allowed in the back yard without us. The world is too scary for me to just let him run.

June 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I still always supervise. It is too easy to take a child, but I also want to try to stop them from doing dangerous things as much as possible. I know accidents happen regardless of supervision, but I try my best to keep them safe.

There are very young children in my neighborhood who are allowed out front unsupervised, and it scares me for them!
June 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
My boys are allowed in the backyard if they stay in my line of sight. It is not fenced in, and I'm pretty protective, too. They are not allowed in the front yard by themselves, nor can they roam around the neighborhood without me or DH (or grandma, etc.) with them!
June 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not allow her outside alone. Ever. When she plays with the neighbors either I or the his mother is outside with them.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

June 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cooper can be in the backyard (fenced although he knows how to open the gate) for very small amounts of time (if we're running in to use the bathroom or get a drink) by himself. We don't let him play in the front yard much even though we live in a really quiet neighborhood with very few cars.

I'm pretty protective and a big scaredy cat with all the whackos in the world.
June 13th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I let the girls play outside in our back yard by themselves. I sit at the dining room table or I'm in the kitchen, and watching them the whole time. I don't let Paulie out though, LOL He's my daredevil and needs to be supervised, LOL.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
June 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I follow the military base's rules on child supervision. Ages 5-7 must be within hearing or seeing distance of an adult, and under five must be right with the adult. So I still go outside whenever Carrie is outside. Matt and Beth are allowed to play in the yard alone and to walk to a park that is half a block away too. We don't have a fence, but if I did I would let the little girls play out ther with me watching out the window.
June 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
We are the same as everyone else. Jack can go in the backyard as long as he stays within sight.
June 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Julka
No backyard here, so needless to say, they are definitely supervised. It freaked me out when we visited MIL/BIL who live across the street from each other in houses, how my kid's cousin who just turned 5 was wondering around the neighbourhood unattended. It was only for a few minutes but bad things happen in those few minutes. Not my kid, not my problem, but I can't help and still worry over it.
June 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
Keeley plays in the garden while i watch her from the windows, she goes to the park with her older sibblings thou its 5 minutes away.

June 14th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We live on a dead end street and at the end of it. Hunter can go outside by himself and play without me there, but I make sure the curtains and door is open so I can see him. I will occasionally let Elijah go out without me but with his brother while I finish up a chore or use the bathroom, but it's for a very short time. They both can be in the backyard without me (it's fenced and the gates are locked) but I always listen for them and check out the windows.
June 14th, 2012, 06:46 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ethan goes out by himself but I have a sliding glass door and a ton of windows that overlook my backyard plus our yard is fenced in. He mostly stays on our deck and plays with his sandbox and water table. He doesn't leave our yard even though he knows how.

June 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Donovin can also go out back, which is fenced in. I am always worried about someone(some evil couple) taking my children. so He is always in my line of vision. He normally just stays on the porch/deck though!
June 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we have a big backyard surrounded by fence and trees in the country--I let the four bigs go out together but never on their own--and I always stay on the main floor where I can see and hear them

Lucky mother to five!

June 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's a bit different for us because we are rural. Our nearest neighbour is almost a mile away. My boys are outside all the time but Reid has lots of older brothers and I can usually see him from the windows.

When my oldest was small, I started letting him go out with his brother alone when they were 4 and 2, but that was only in the backyard where I could always see them and not for very long.

It really depends where you live and what kind of yard you have.
June 18th, 2012, 09:10 AM
aprilmiracle's Avatar WTTC #2 in 2015
It's not uncommon here for kids to play outside alone in quiet neighborhoods when they're about 4 and up, but I have a total daredevil on my hands who will explore like there is no tomorrow, so he is always under supervision. I will run to the bathroom quickly or get something from inside if it's really important.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search