HomeSchooling

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
I think we have talked about this before but ...

Who already is doing Homeschooling or is planning to ?

Are you part of a Co-Op or do you do it all yourself?

Dh and I have really been considering it. My only hesitation is David LOVES spending time with other kids and I want to make sure he is getting the social interaction that he craves.

June 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
I've considered it, too, but have the same reservations. Brennan loves his friends and can be a bit shy, so having classmates is important for him.

The main reason I've considered it is because of our current school district; because in general I'm not against public schools at all. We just don't want our kids in this particular district (elementary level will probably be okay, but definitely we don't want to send them to the middle or high schools here). If we were able to sell our house and buy a new one in a district with a public schools we liked, then that would be different. Private schools are soo expensive, and I haven't looked into charter schools.

If I decided to go the homeschooling route I'd need some support (Co-Op). I don't know much about it right now, so I feel I'd at least need to start out with others to lean on. When I did catch on to the process I think I'd actually really enjoy doing it. So we'll see what happens!

Good luck with your decision, Donna!
June 16th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're homeschooling starting this year. There is a co-op right on base, so my kids will be apart of that. Carrie also does AWANAS at church, takes dance lessons, and plays with neighborhood friends. I think they'll still get plenty of social and group time.
June 17th, 2012, 05:10 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're going to start homeschooling in the fall. The social aspect has been my concern as well, but we've joined one local meet-up group (that may turn into a co-op down the line) and I recently joined another larger group. We've also been doing library storytime, some dance classes, and park days regularly. Leah is more on the shy side, but as she matures and is willing to separate from me, I will continue to enroll her in dance (or gymnastics, tee-ball, whatever she wants to try) and we'll attend these homeschool meet-ups as regularly as we can so she can develop friendships.

Ultimately, I think homeschooling can lead to more free time to participate in social activities or playdates with other homeschooling friends, etc since you can create your own schooling schedule. Still, I totally understand your concern!

June 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not planning on homeschooling, however, if I WAS going to, there are a few charter schools that are really homeschools. You go through their school, they help you with curriculum and everything and you go like twice a week to their learning centers. You should see if there is anything like that. I like this because you don't have to worry about if it will "count" or not (laws vary by state), and you have a person assigned to you and can ask them stuff, etc.

June 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwoman View Post
Ultimately, I think homeschooling can lead to more free time to participate in social activities or playdates with other homeschooling friends, etc since you can create your own schooling schedule. Still, I totally understand your concern!
This is true. I've homeschooled since my oldest began kindergarten. School has never taken us more than two hours a day for the elementary grades, so we have plenty of time to join whatever outside activities we want. That said, we currently aren't part of a co-op or any activities whatsoever.

I personally believe that the socialization issue isn't nearly as important as people think it is.
June 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hats off to those of you who can homeschool. I could never do it. I want to pull my hair out just trying to help Alexander with homework sometimes. I don't think I could make it through one day, LOL. I can teach little things to Mia like letters, numbers, etc., but I just know from experience I am not good at teaching. It's frustrating for me and would be for my kids too.

I like the schools that Alexander has gone to and he has had some wonderful teachers. He has also made friends that he would miss if he didn't get to see them as often. Mia is a very social person and I know she will love going to school. I really do think socialization is quite important as well as being around people who come from all different backgrounds.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search