Divorce

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bermuda Girl
  • 1 Post By youngwoman
  • 1 Post By ethansmom0408

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
I'm perfectly happy and don't see a Divorce any where in my future.

To make a long story short my bro-in-law is going through one and it's not pretty. Total shocker to him and the rest of us in the family.

The really crazy part is she thinks she should be included in family get togethers. Plus, she thinks she should be welcomed with open arms and buddy-buddy with the rest of the family. She even had the nerve to ask my bil (he's hosting Thanksgiving) what she needed to bring for TG.

Isn't that odd?!
November 7th, 2012, 12:12 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
I would say its odd yes, especially if its not a ''friendly'' divorce. I suppose if i were married and just fell out of love with Lee and we both divorced ''friendly'' and had the kids to think about then it may not be ''that'' odd if that makes sense? Lol.

November 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaRN View Post

To make a long story short my bro-in-law is going through one and it's not pretty!
Gone through a similar situation recently and no, she does not attend any family get togethers, it's just BIL and the kids.

Also, what if your BIL later on gets a girlfriend? That's just gonna be extra awkward. I think she should only attend if its an event that specifically revolves around one of their children.
November 7th, 2012, 07:57 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
I think she should only attend if its an event that specifically revolves around one of their children.
I agree, if it's one of the kid's birthday parties or a recital/sporting event, that makes sense because it's about the kids. But otherwise, um, yeah, unless it was a super friendly, mutual divorce (which I'm sensing it wasn't if your BIL didn't see it coming) then I'd say she has a lot of nerve! Yikes.

November 7th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
I think that is totally weird. Wouldn't she feel awkward being at your family events with and Ex?
SheilaRN likes this.
November 7th, 2012, 09:23 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to add a different stance coming from divorced parents that are amicable.

DH and I both have divorced parents (two of which remarried). When we get together we often get together with all of us (my dad, mom, step-dad, his mom, dad and step-mom).

My parents needed their time after their divorce before things were amicable. They fell out of love with each other but didn't dislike each other as people. My DH's parents are not quite as amicable as my parents are but they put their issues aside for us and for Cooper.

I know the situation that I grew up with is very unique but it works for my family.

That being said I think a lot of it is situational (i.e. what was the reason for the divorce; infidelity is a lot different than incompatibility). Also, it takes time to heal from things. While I do think it is odd that your BIL's ex is so eager to keep things the same now it may be different in the future.

Last edited by MommyToCooper; November 7th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
November 7th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I agree with Julia, if it is a situation or am event specific to the kids then, yes, I see how both parents would want to be in attendance. However, a family get together, then no... That seems awkward to me. Maybe years down the road, but not right away.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 8th, 2012, 04:24 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Yeah that seems weird. My parents and DH's parents will make exceptions for things like weddings or the kids birthdays, but not Christmas/Thanksgiving and not any old BBQ.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
November 8th, 2012, 06:16 AM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen different dynamics to this from my life and friends lives but I guess it really depends... but so soon wanting to be included in family get-togethers is a bit odd. Like Julia said birthdays/sporting events/extra-curricular activities that all makes sense or if there was a special event where the family was to get together makes sense, but not just a holiday like everything is back to normal. In most cases, when you divorce you divorce that side of the family too.

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
November 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get along extremely well with Zac's wife and her family. During the last visitation Jennifer and I spent tons of time together. I think she is awesome! Although the difference here is we made this decision together. Zac and I agreed that we would forget any hurt feelings that came from our marriage the second we divorced. We went back to being friends like we were before and that was that.

If your brother in law is going through a nasty bitter divorce then there is NO ****** way I would accept her at family functions. Especially if she is currently treating him badly. That is just ridiculous and I think someone should really say something to her about it.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

November 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
I agree that people can fall out of love and then eventually go to the same events.
I look at my parents. They divorced years ago, both are remarried and they all go out to eat from time to time.

My bil was willing to do anything and everything to keep his 20yr marriage. Basically he found out there was someone else but she refuses to admit it to this day. He caught them kissing in a store parking lot. Their divorce isn't even finalized because she refused to sign on the dotted line. All in all she wants more $$. She is already getting spousal support ($1200 mo), will get some child support ($600 mo/3yrs) and about $300,000.
Yet, she thinks she should be invited to all the family functions. As if it wouldn't be uncomfortable for anyone.
I just don't get it.
November 9th, 2012, 05:26 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. She was cheating and thinks the family should welcome her with open arms? Oh, heck no!
SheilaRN likes this.

November 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Under those circumstances, nope. No longer welcome.
November 10th, 2012, 01:12 PM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally wouldn't want to attend Dh's family functions anymore if we divorced. I wouldn't feel welcome and would feel very awkward. Why would she want to put herself through that?
SheilaRN likes this.

November 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Control most likely... Some people crave control. Personally if she is cheating I wouldn't give her a dime. Child support is for the kids and she should go get herself a nice little job and work for a living. Also since I am the out spoken sister in my family I would call her and tell her she isn't welcome at any family functions any longer. Someone has to stand up for him!

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search