Elf on a shelf?!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By happyhme44
  • 3 Post By KellersMom517
  • 1 Post By happyhme44
  • 3 Post By KellersMom517
  • 1 Post By worried29
  • 2 Post By Just_Marie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Am I the only one finding it really hard to to pay $30 for that scrawny looking elf? For the past 3 years I debate myself crazy wether or not I should buy it. If it were only $15 okay but 30 bucks. No way! Maybe even $20 since it comes with a book, but not $30.
November 30th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Julka
Well, I mean if you bought it 3 years ago, you would have just paid the $30 that one time and already had an elf for 3 years now... I mean, you can wonder every year whether to spend the $30, but if you plan to use it every year for several years, I don't think it's that expensive?! It's a one-time fee type thing.

We don't do the Elf on the Shelf. We do a tree, Santa, presents, etc. but those are in addition to celebrating the true meaning of Christmas.. to me, the elf thing is a bit overboard. Too much! Also, I tend to get too creative and I know if I get extra creative with the elf on Dec. 1st, I'll have to be super creative for the next 24 days too and I just don't have the time or motivation for that!
November 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
We do elf on the shelf and consider yourself lucky, I think I paid $50 in Canada.
November 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I refuse to do that creepy thing. There is NO way I am spending money on a creepy doll that stares at my kid all day. I would never remember to move the **** thing at night and it creeps me out. Uggh creepy. (did I mention CREEPY)
SheilaRN likes this.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

November 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
I have one. Yes, I paid $30. But years and years of creating a tradition is well worth it.
Then again, who says you have to pay $30. Just go buy one of Tinker Bells little elf friends and make it your own Elf on the shelf. Each Elf is named by the family and you do your own thing with it. So you really don't have to have the actualy book and doll.
November 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhme44 View Post
I refuse to do that creepy thing. There is NO way I am spending money on a creepy doll that stares at my kid all day. I would never remember to move the **** thing at night and it creeps me out. Uggh creepy. (did I mention CREEPY)
seriously LOL at all of this!
November 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did it last year and will do it again this year but I am starting it much later (like a week or two from now).

I did think it was a little creepy last year but Cooper really liked it so it turned fun!
November 30th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I had no idea you had to move the elf around the house every day. That's tedious. I think that would actually scare my son. Having him sit on a shelf in the same place is one thing but now the elf is walking around the house that's scary. Maybe I'll pass on it. We also celebrate 3 kings, so we keep our decorations up until January 6th. We put lettuce in a box so the 'camels' can eat from it, the same thought process as the cookies for 'Santa' which my husband ends up eating.
November 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Hmm...what is 3 kings?

Annie- I laughed out loud!!
November 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
LOL Annie! I remember you getting super creeped out by the Elf pictures last year. I'll try to make them extra scary this year James our Elf is coming tonight! I think tonight he's just going to be sitting on the counter with his book and the DVD (which I found today for $7!) and a note that says how much he missed the kids and can't wait for Christmas, etc etc...
Julka, SheilaRN and youngwoman like this.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
November 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Uggh nooooo. He stares at you. He eats souls. Uggh his eyes!!
Julka likes this.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

December 1st, 2012, 03:27 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He eats souls! Annie, you are cracking me up!

We're starting Elf on the Shelf this year. I went easy on myself for the first night - she's just sitting under the tree w/ the book and a note to Leah about how Santa sent her here, to please give her a name, etc. I'm excited about it!

December 1st, 2012, 08:23 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Quote:
Uggh nooooo. He stares at you. He eats souls. Uggh his eyes!!

HAHAAAA!! All the better to scare children into submission.
Julka, SheilaRN and Bermuda Girl like this.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
December 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Sheila, 3 Kings is this:
How to Celebrate Three Kings Day | eHow.com
SheilaRN likes this.
December 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been thinking about buying one for three years, but can't spend the $50 on something I'm not in love it-I like the concept but I'd need to find a prettier elf
SheilaRN and worried29 like this.
December 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got the girl elf just a few days ago online at barnes and noble for 13.00, granted I ended up buying something else to get free shipping and got her a skirt off of amazon. But all together the elf and book and skirt were 20.00 and with gabby being little get many more years of use. Kai really needs something this year and I hope this is going to work to get him to believe that someone is watching him and how he behaves, besides it sounds fun and with pinterest I have found a lot of simple ideas.
December 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
We don't have it and I don't plan on it either. The thing creeps me out!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 6th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
Quote:
LOL - I feel the same!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search