Advice, please :)

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By KellersMom517
  • 2 Post By Twinkle
  • 2 Post By MommyToCooper
  • 1 Post By Mommy2Hunter
  • 1 Post By Bermuda Girl
  • 1 Post By Julka
  • 2 Post By happyhme44

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Julka
So about 3 weeks ago, Veronika smashed her finger in the bathroom door To be more specific, she was closing the door with one hand, and managed to stick her other fingers in the oppostie side of the door.. where the hinges are? I hope that makes sense. She closed the door on her thumb and smashed the fingernail. She cried really hard for about 5 minutes and then she was fine.

Well, over the next 3 weeks, the fingernail started changing color.. Right now, it's all blue/black/purple. She does not complain of pain and acts 100% normal; she does say it hurts a bit when you press on the nail/finger, but otherwise it doesn't bother her, it bends properly, etc.

At first, I wanted to bring her to the doctor when it started changing colors. But everything I'm reading online says what's happening is completely normal. That the old fingernail will most likely fall off and a new one will grow in its place. I looked yesterday, and it almost looks like the fingernail is dis-attaching at the very bottom. It's pretty gross, to be honest.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm taking Sebastian to the pedi. on Thursday for his 1-year checkup and not sure if I should take her with me... Everything I've read says there is no point in going to the doc. because there is nothing they can do besides this healing on its own. But at the same time, being a mom, I just need a professional to confirm that it's indeed okay to just wait.

*sigh* what would you do?
December 3rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
I would probably mention it to the pedi, but not bother bring her with me. I think its normal, though gross - I lost a toenail that way once. It's back now! It was the most tender when the nail finally fell off and it took some time for the new one to come in, but it was ok. Jeez, that must have hurt like crazy - I'm cringing at the thought!!
Julka likes this.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
December 3rd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
This happened to Julia back on her 4th birthday, it happened in a bouncy house on her toe nail. She never complained of any pain, and the nail turned black and eventually fell off and another nail grew. I don't see the harm in mentioning it to the pediatrician, but I don't necessarily think you need to bring her with you. ((HUGS))
Julka and Bermuda Girl like this.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 3rd, 2012, 06:47 AM
Julka
Thanks, ladies! How long has it taken for the new nail to come in in your experiences? I think it's a good idea, I'll mention it to the ped. on Thursday but probably won't bring her with me; if he wants to see her, I can always bring her in later.
December 3rd, 2012, 06:53 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ouch! I agree with Emily and Christine, mention it but don't take her with you.
Julka and SheilaRN like this.
December 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Perfectly normal!

I shut Hunter's finger in the door on the hinge side, but it cut into the nail bed and he had to have stitches. It had busted his nail all up though and pulled it completely out of the cuticle. You would have known if it was that bad It will just be gross and fall off eventually and the new nail will come back in. I probably wouldn't even mention it to the pedi unless when it starts to come back in it looks like it's growing in an odd way.
Julka likes this.
December 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Julka
Ughh, Miranda that sounds awful

Thank you ladies, I feel better now.
December 3rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This happened to Beth to when she was five. It was on our move from Connecticut to Mississippi in our hotel room. She screamed so loud and so long I thought they'd throw us out for sure.

I didn't take her to the doctor, and it did fall out and grow back on it's own. I can't remember how long it took to totally heal, but it was several months. The new nail was short and tiny at first, and slowly grew to normal length.
December 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
This happened to Beth to when she was five. It was on our move from Connecticut to Mississippi in our hotel room. She screamed so loud and so long I thought they'd throw us out for sure.

I didn't take her to the doctor, and it did fall out and grow back on it's own. I can't remember how long it took to totally heal, but it was several months. The new nail was short and tiny at first, and slowly grew to normal length.
Ahh, I am sorry that happened to her too Veronika screamed really loud too, but not for too long, probably 5-7 minutes. Thanks... sounds like it's gonna take a while!
December 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
Jack lost his big toe nail when he was 2 after a side table fell on him. I remember it taking forever for the nail to fall off and grow back.

Hope it falls off soon!
Julka likes this.
December 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Julka
Geez, sounds like its pretty common with kids, huh? I do feel more relieved now that it will just heal on its own.
MommyToCooper likes this.
December 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ahhhhh I could barely make it through this post without cringing! I hope it is okay and grows back just fine.
SheilaRN and 2xPink like this.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

December 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Julka
Thanks To be honest, right now it's nearly black... and kinda disattaching a bit at the bottom. She is a bit embarrassed about it and wants me to put nail polish over it... But otherwise, just going to wait it out and hopefully *one day* it's gonna be normal again.
December 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
NoahandLola's Mommy
toenails grow about 1mm per week.

December 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah and lola's mommy View Post
toenails grow about 1mm per week.
Okay, good to know. Same for fingernails? It does seem slow, but oh well
December 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
poor sweetheart
December 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just saw this. It sounds so painful! I hope it doesn't take too long to regrow!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search