Disney

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By youngwoman
  • 3 Post By ethansmom0408
  • 1 Post By KellersMom517
  • 1 Post By MommyToCooper
  • 1 Post By ethansmom0408

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies -

For those of you that frequent Disney do you recommend doing one of the character dining meals? Is it worth the price?

We are going in April (surprising Cooper for his 5th birthday!) and are renting a house to stay in so we have to plan a little more than if we were staying on property.

Any other suggestions on what to do and what not to do? We went when he was three but he didn't really care as much as he will this time.

Thanks!
December 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, we've only been the one time so far with Leah but I will say the character meals were totally worth it for her. Her biggest thing about Disney was wanting to meet & hug different characters - as opposed to rides and such - so they were definitely a highlight of the trip. I'd say if Cooper has any favorites that he would absolutely love to meet, go for it. They come up to every table to pose for pics, sign autograph books, etc so you won't miss out on anything.

Also, I don't know if Cooper likes splash pads/water-type activities, but the new splash area in Fantasyland (near Dumbo) was a hit with Leah. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes!

So exciting that you're going to surprise him for his 5th! Love it!!!
MommyToCooper likes this.

December 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awesome! We've been a few times, the kids always love the character meals, huge hit and super easy since if you pick the right ones, all of the characters come to you and you're not fighting lines to chase them around the parks for pics
December 29th, 2012, 06:22 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're taking Ethan for his 5th birthday too. We're staying at my in laws time share. We made reservations for Chef Mickey's for breakfast. It came highly recommended by several different friends. Also, we already made our reservations. You really need to make reservations this early to ensure that you get a table. When are you going?

December 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
We LOVE the breakfast at Crystal Palace - in addition to Pooh & Friends, I think the food is among the best of the character meals.

We also usually do Chef Mickeys for breakfast - the breakfast food is better than other meals.

If he likes Lilo & Stitch, O'Hana at the Polynesian has a yummy breakfast - the other meals at that restaurant are excellent, but not character based.

The dinner @ 1900 Park Fare is supposed to be good, and has Cinderella and Prince Charming along with the ugly stepsisters who are hilarious.

And I was pleasantly surprised by the breakfast at Hollywood & Vine inside Hollywood Studios. It is Playhouse Disney and has Jake, June from Little Einsteins, Special Agent Oso, and Handy Manny.

Have fun! We're debating taking a "Keller only" trip in April or May to use up some "bonus" points from our Disney Vacation Club contracts we just closed on!

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
December 30th, 2012, 06:12 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmom0408 View Post
We're taking Ethan for his 5th birthday too. We're staying at my in laws time share. We made reservations for Chef Mickey's for breakfast. It came highly recommended by several different friends. Also, we already made our reservations. You really need to make reservations this early to ensure that you get a table. When are you going?
We'll be arriving on 4/1 and leaving on 4/7. We'll probably do three or four days at Disney and then other excursions. When will you be there? If it overlaps we should meet!

I did end up making lunch reservations at the restaurant at Animal Kingdom but may change it to Chef Mickey's table based on the recommendations here!

Thanks!

Last edited by MommyToCooper; December 30th, 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: add
December 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
I think Tusker House probably has a better lunch than Chef Mickeys...but it all depends on your schedule for that day. If you will be around AK, then definitely keep Tusker House, if you are going to be more toward Epcot/MK then I would probably change it b/c of convenience to get to...

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
December 30th, 2012, 06:22 PM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToCooper View Post

We'll be arriving on 4/1 and leaving on 4/7. We'll probably do three or four days at Disney and then other excursions. When will you be there? If it overlaps we should meet!

I did end up making lunch reservations at the restaurant at Animal Kingdom but may change it to Chef Mickey's table based on the recommendations here!

Thanks!
We're driving. We leave on 3/28, stop in Savannah for 2 days and will be in Disney from 3/30-4/6. We should definitely meet up. Let me know when you're planning to be at each park so we can coordinate. I'm very excited!

December 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's exciting, I so want to go next year, but have no clue where to start in planning and definitely need an economical route. Any recommendations?
January 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Chef Mickey's is good for breakfast. It's pricey though, and it's also crowded. DH said he would not want to do it again considering the price. The adults have to shovel in their food to be sure and get the kids the photos, signatures, etc. But it's a good chance to get a moment with the top 5 characters... keep in mind that you can also accomplish this at places like Epcot Character Spot or MK Town Hall by standing in line to see the characters, without having to eat around it. It is a must do for my parents though so I guess it's all what you are looking to experience. I could take it or leave it.

We've eaten at Animal Kingdom with characters before (also breakfast) and it was just ok, I would prefer Chef Mickey's if during breakfast. But if at lunch, it may be better food (we don't eat lunch in the parks usually).

I would say do NOT do the Fantasmic Dining package if paying out of pocket... it was SO expensive for average food (like 5x the cost of eating out anywhere else). Fantasmic the show is ok, but we wouldn't do it again via the dining package or waiting in the super long line. If you want to splurge you could do it once to save yourself the long wait in the line, but I wouldn't personally for the price.

Any other tips... I do suggest renting a house or condo off site. There are so many places that are so close that GPS will actually say you're on Disney property. The Disney hotel rooms are small for the price you pay as well as other hotels... get a condo or house and actually be comfy and feel at home when you get home from a day of walking.

January 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I have nothing to add, since I haven't even been to Disney myself! But I think you will have a great time!!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search