flu vaccine

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I am just wondering how many mamas here vaccinate their children against the flu. Did they have a reaction to the vaccine? Have they ever gotten the flu when vaccinated?

My boys had the flu this week, Sam had Tamiflu due to his asthma, Walter did not. He got it second so he is still in the middle of it.

I am being pressured by the doctors to give Sam the flu vaccine next year. And I was not worried about Walter until I started reading about Cytokine storms and am scared about that quite a bit, especially since Walter gets viral hives and rashes when he gets sick.

The flu vaccine is so scary, we haven't even had any vaccines in the family yet. Still trying to figure out what to do.
January 2nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my kids get the flu shot, neither one have ever had an issue with it...no reaction and they have not gotten the flu. Sam did have the flu when he was a baby before he was old enough to be vaccinated against it, he was a super sick little dude 105 fever! scared the crap out of me and fevers don't normally get me too worked up. That being said I do vaccinate my kiddos, delayed schedule but they are fully vaccinated, it just takes us longer to get there because I only do 1 maybe 2 shots at a time. Plus they are in daycare/preschool and if I can prevent an illness I try to because those places are like germs galore! ....tough call for you to make, hope you can come to a decision you feel comfortable with!
January 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
School requires it or she couldn't return after the first of the year, so we got it a few weeks ago. She's had it 3 times so far. No issues ever.

For me, it always seems to GIVE me the flu.

January 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I usually get the flu vaccine for Aidan with no side effects or issues. He hasn't had it this year yet though due only to not getting around to it yet. I'm going to try to get him in this week. I got mine when I went in for my physical in the fall. I've gotten it for years and never any issue.

January 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've never done the flu shot.

The reason we don't do it is that we seem to have good immune systems around here with what we typically do and I don't want to mess with that. *knock on wood we better not get it now * the pediatrician amd my ob don't seem to have a problem with my explanation.

January 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My boys have never received the flu shot but they both got the flu this year. I may get it next year for them.

I get the flu shot every year and never had an issue with.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got the flu shot for London this year because of her asthma. Her asthma seems to be triggered by even small colds that can turn into something much worse so I decided the risks of the shot were lower than the risk of her catching the flu.
I am allergic to the ingredients in the flu shot so I have never received it. I make dh get it every year.
January 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
None of us have gotten it this year. I had Kaija get it one year and she threw a raging fit about it so I just haven't bothered since. I think she was 2 or 3... We have pretty good immune systems here too, I wish my Dr's were like Alyssa's though and accepted that as a good enough reason not to. The kids have never had the flu and DH and I last had it 10 years ago.
January 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had a flu shot and never had the flu. I was pressured by the dr to give Zane a flu shot when he was 10 months old. It was the 2 booster one since he was little. Well he broke out in a rash and the dr recommended not to get the 2nd half after I told her his reaction. He hasn't had a flu shot since. I have an exemption for vaccines from the county so the school doesn't give me a problem. I also bring him to a holistic pediatrician now so they just ask if I want vaccines or not. No pressure.
I think it is just a personal choice on what you feel comfortable doing.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that Zane has pretty much always had bad reactions to most vaccines so that is one reason why we stopped. I know some kids never have issues. So because one child has a reaction doesn't mean another will. You know your children the best and whatever you decide will be the right choice for them.

Last edited by .Michelle.; January 3rd, 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search