Maternity wards testing for Weed

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
WEED OUT: More than a dozen city maternity wards regularly test new moms for marijuana and other drugs - NY Daily News

"Attorneys who fight these cases have began citing scientific findings that pot use poses less risk to fetuses than cigarettes or alcohol. “They take a urine test and act as if it can predict parenting ability,” said Emma Ketteringham of the Bronx Defenders, which represented Cruz. “It’s doing more harm than good.”

The shift in legal strategy followed a landmark decision by a Brooklyn judge early this year that included the first-ever expert testimony in this type of case.
Columbia University neuroscientist Carl Hurt has testified marijuana poses less risk to the fetus than alcohol or cigarettes.

"All the scientific research," Hart wrote in a court document, "leads me to conclude that recreational use of marijuana does not undermine responsible parenting.""

January 3rd, 2013, 04:18 AM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a touchy subject for me, as my mother was a pot smoker and extremely irresponsible. It's very hard for me to unlink those two notions.
I do think that any parent who impairs themselves when they are supposed to be caring for their child is taking an unnecessary risk. Obviously, this doesn't mean getting drunk after the kids are in bed, or when there are other sober adults around.
Having a glass of two of wine may make a person tipsy, but getting stoned on pot can make a person completely unaware of their surroundings - part of the problem with the instability of the market and marijuana that is unregulated. One joint may cause mild effects while the next one is so strong that the smoker loses a complete grip on reality.

So I can see both sides, here. I played with pot in high school but when I became a mother I stopped. I remember how it made me feel to see my mother getting stoned in the evenings. I believe I would feel the same way if she had gotten drunk in the evenings as well.
January 3rd, 2013, 06:14 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
My opinion on these types of topics are always pretty extreme, likely due to my personal fertility issues. Anyone who test positives for drugs (including marijuana) or alcohol when they are giving birth is not a mother looking out for the well being of her baby, I don't care what anyone tries to argue otherwise. Does that make them unfit? Yes. Is it feasible to test every birthing mom and take away the child of every failed drug test? Probably not.

For me, this always goes back to the fact that any dumb-*** can get pregnant and bring a baby into the world and neglect and/or abuse it and many other far more capable can't have babies at all. You need a license to drive a car and can get arrested for drinking and driving, yet any moron who doesn't know their *** from a hole in the ground can get pregnant and apparently knowingly and willingly be drunk/high while they do it. That's fabulous.

The one point of the article that I do agree with, assuming it's true, is that targetting of this testing to lower income/minority neighbourhoods is discriminatory. If you're going to drug test moms, it should be across the board.

January 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
If they are going to test some women at some hospitals, they ought to do it for everyone. In my area, there are no affluent hospitals. The hospitals here serve all economic classes. I have been one of the ones singled out and tested for drugs after delivering Abri and they treated me like trash for it. I have never done drugs in my life but they made an assumption about me that was really hurtful. I get that medical professionals are trying to do what's best for these babies, but they need to do it in a way that is fair across the board for everyone.

January 4th, 2013, 03:58 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destany View Post
but getting stoned on pot can make a person completely unaware of their surroundings - part of the problem with the instability of the market and marijuana that is unregulated. One joint may cause mild effects while the next one is so strong that the smoker loses a complete grip on reality.
I've heard this about designer and syth. drugs but never marijuana.
My mom smoked and she was/is great. I never had a bad experience in life b/c of her habit. Smoking cigs and drinking I have different memories however.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search