Where to Meet Mommy Friends?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Since we moved here in October, we really haven't met anyone and I don't know how to go about it. I really want London to make some new friends and I would also like to make some friends here. Ideally, I'd love to find a mom my age with a daughter London's age (who happens to be pregnant? Am I asking too much here? LOL) but I don't know where to look. In Florida, we had the military spouse club and there were lots of newborn meetup groups to join. In San Diego, I met new people through London's school and through work. Here, we don't really have anything. I can't afford any expensive activities for another couple months and most meetup groups seem to be designed for newborns. I took London to a trial dance class and listened to the other moms talk about their recent plastic surgeries and their children's future stardom. Ugh. So, where would you start? I literally don't know a single person here and don't know where to start. Any ideas? We are getting lonely and going a bit crazy being cooped up in the house. It has also been too cold to spend much time at the park.
January 9th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
The only thing coming to mind is the library. Our local one does a weekly program for different age groups. It should be free or close to it and may open up the possibility to meet new people. Do you have any community centres? That may be another source to search for local activities.

It'll definitely get easier once she's in school, so hang in there.

January 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I'm not very good at meeting other moms either... We've been going to the same art class since Kaija was 2 and I've made zero friends there despite a lot of them being the same every session! Ah well...

Do you go to church? I've met a lot of great mom friends there. That's been my only success though!
January 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have many "mom" friends, I have my girlfriends that I have always had and they either don't have kids yet or their kids are much older (except for Cyndee and Maddie ) but it still works out. I guess I don't put a lot of effort into meeting new people, I feel like meeting friends at my age is a lot like dating...not easy lol. We did meet a couple in our neighborhood with small kids and we see them once in a while and have playdates but I wouldn't say we are really "friends" at least not yet. My suggestions would be at activities (gymnastics, swimming, etc), the library, park, indoor playgrounds, etc. I almost always have a mom approach me when we are the mall play area to chat...I have never really extended myself enough to turn it into anything though, not sure why :/ ....Once London starts school it will be a lot easier I am sure!
January 9th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am very lucky to have fallen in with a local parenting group, introduced by a neighbor. Before that, I had no clue.

Could you maybe type into a search engine, "Parenting Group, Your City?" and see what pops up?
January 9th, 2013, 06:38 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Meetup.com
Craigslist > Platonic board can work, I surf it sometimes

January 10th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much you guys! I think I am just really struggling because I feel like I have no life right now. I don't have a job and want one desperately, London isn't in pre-school right now and I can't seem to find an affordable activity (our finances should be back on track in a couple months but we are keeping things tight to be smart and stay on track). Then, with being pregnant, I am so tired and sick that all I feel like doing is sitting on the couch all day. It's not healthy, but I feel like we're getting stuck in a rut. I think I'm also missing San Diego, because I keep thinking of all the options I would have had there that don't exist here. I know things will get better soon though, especially when kindergarten starts. Thank you so much for your suggestions! I looked into a lot of them and a few others that came to mind. I checked the library but they don't have story time at the branches near me. It looks like there may be a storytime at a Barnes and Noble but I'm not totally sure how far it is. I have never been to that area. I checked the local rec center, which has some great affordable options... but only for children up to age 4. After that, the organized sports seem to start at age 6 or 7. I went to church last week. Everybody was super nice but I only seemed to meet older women without kids or guys my age with kids. I found a few meetup groups on meetup.com that I might try out. I just need to sort through them. I think I did make some progress though. I found a MOPS group in the area and I sent an e-mail to the group asking when their next meetup is. They don't have anything on their calendar after December so I'm hoping they just haven't update it yet. I also e-mailed a small church preschool to see if they have any availability.
January 10th, 2013, 11:18 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
La Leche League! that's where i made all my best mommy friends. once i met a few, i started a local crunchy moms group on facebook, invited the few moms that i knew who were like minded, and now we have about 150 members.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
holistic moms network, le leche league, meetup.com. i started a meetup group when walter was born and its got around 80 members.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search