Kindergarten

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimmiejo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
The time for kindergarten registration is coming up soon in my area. What are your kindergarten plans for this fall? New school? Bus or drive? Full day or part time? Home schooling?

I am keeping Madison at the Catholic school for full day Kindy and aftercare for an hour. It amounts to about $550 a month which is about the same that public school costs for half day kindergarten and then she is bussed mid day to another center for aftercare - I don't like the thought of dropping her off at school and picking her up somewhere else.

January 24th, 2013, 07:03 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think registration in our district is in Feb or March, I have to call them it's on my to do list...Sydney will be going to public kindergarten, the school is 2 blocks from our house and it's 1/2 day, I will take her and pick her up they don't bus in our neighborhood. So far the plan is that I will drop her off for the other 1/2 of the day at her current school for part time care 3 days a week and 2 days a week she will just be home with me while I work, that will reduce our daycare bill a decent amt (I cannot wait to not pay $500 per week in childcare costs!!!!) and in theory it should work but we will have to see, if that doesn't work I may have to do full week 1/2 days but I really think she could entertain herself for a couple hrs while I work 2 days a week, plus DH can adjust his schedule to help out. It will really depend on if she gets afternoon or morning kindy which we won't know for a while. I actually cannot wait for her to start kindy! woot!
*Cyndee* likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Aidan will move up to SK next year at the same public school (french immersion) that he's currently attending JK. Our school is one of the last to transition to full day learning, so he'll remain on the part time schedule of Monday/Wednesday/every other Friday. He will continue to take the bus on those days. He's home by 4 and he either amuses himself while I finish up some work, or I just suspend work and play with him and put an hour or two in after he goes to bed.
On the alternate days, I will be keeping him in the kindy class at his current daycare where I drive him there and pick him up.

January 24th, 2013, 09:51 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I think our registration starts in March. We have 3 elementary schools and the closest one to our house is the best. Everyone wants to get their kids into it so hopefully I can get there early enough to get him a spot. He will ride the bus with his sister. Our school district is small so instead of picking up by school they pick up everyone at the same time and just drop off by school. I think I'll pick him up in the afternoons. We'll see how it goes the first couple of weeks.

January 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are going to try out the public kindergarten actually. I'm a bit nervous but it just makes so much more sense financially. Kindergarten registration isn't until March though. I am looking forward to it so I can find out all about the program. Right now I don't know too much about it. I still miss London's French school so much. I'm totally jealous of the Canadians here.
January 24th, 2013, 12:57 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
Our registration opens on February 4. I just took Jacob for his TB test this morning. I want him to go to the parent participation school, which is about 10 minutes from our house; but DH wants him to go to our neighborhood school. I have not heard good things about it though so I'm hoping this is a battle I can win!
January 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kindergarten Round-up is March 1st here. I believe our district is full-day kindergarten, also. It's a public school about 3 blocks from our house, we'll walk every day when the weather is nice! The school Kaija will be at follows a year-round format (the only school in the district) so she'll start at the beginning of August and have 2 weeks off in October instead of starting school 2 weeks later. It's going to be nice!
January 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Registration is march. Kinder is full day and Lilly will be in duel immersion (Spanish/English)

As it stands now her school is one block from my school but they start a couple of hours after we do so she will be dropped off at daycare in the morning and she will ride the bus if we can't convince them to drive her. They are transferring special Ed staff like crazy right now though so it will depend on if I get hit again. After school the whole district has min day on wed for kids, not teachers so she will ride bus back to daycare.

January 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I am starting to dread public kindergarten and for the first time ever I am considering home schooling. I want more than anything to send him to private montessori but I dont know how we would afford the $16800/yr without me working.
January 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
350 a week year round? Holy crap! Is college that expensive??

January 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am hoping he gets into a local charter school. It is lottery based so he may or may not get in. It won't cost me anything except I have to volunteer 20 hrs a year. No buses but it is close enough I could drop him off and pick him up from extended day there. I LOVE this school. I took a tour last week and they enable the kids to excel if they are ahead. For example, if a 1st grader is advanced in math then the child will be able to sit in the 2nd grade class for math. The child has to master all 1st grade math and pass a test before that happens so there is no pressure. They also encourage creativity and the kids have a choice to learn different subjects. One group is learning gardening and they are getting ready to build a garden. It is really cool.
The lottery drawing is at the end of March. If he doesn't get in then I still don't know where he is going because they are in the process of rezoning the schools. I won't find out what is happening until March as well.
I am mostly concerned with what happens when he doesn't have public school. I need to find out if there is some kind of program that watches kids on their days off. Otherwise I need to schedule vacations around his days off. I am stressed not knowing what will happen yet.

January 25th, 2013, 01:54 AM
*Mommie2Timmy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Mommie2Timmy*
Timmy will be going to the local public school, much to my moms displeasure. The district we live in doesn't have the best reputation, but that really applies to the middle and high schools not the elementary schools. She would like to see him go to one of the charter schools in our county but I have a hard time with putting a 5 year old on the bus at 7 AM and not getting him until close to 5 PM (4:50 on average) she works at one of the neighboring districts (from which I graduated) which has one of the best records in the state, so she'd ultimately love to see us move to that district... I registered him for sign up and testing for mid march at our local Public Elementary, Tim's cousins kids go there and love it, so I figure we will give it a shot. Our only other option would be catholic school and I would have to be forced to do that as I did not particularly enjoy my stint in catholic school and don't care to subject Timmy to that. Timmy will be taking the bus, it comes Around 9 and returns him around 3:30. We aren't far from the school so it makes if nice. It's a full day program and should work well with my schedule working nights. He is so so sooo excited to go to kindergarten and ride the bus!!

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

January 25th, 2013, 02:19 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Lily will definitely be doing public kindergarten. We are trying to decide which school though. There is a magnet program at one elementary that has a focus on math, science, and engineering. I feel like it could be good challenge for her, but I'm not entirely sure if math/science is the best fit for her. Our assigned elementary school is perfectly good and it has a new principal (which I prefer to the old one that refused to even talk with us last summer when we tried early entry). Both schools are the same distance away and would be a very short busride or I could just drop her off. The magnet school deadline is February 1st, but the other registration isn't until spring.
January 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my boys will go to public school which isn't very far from us. I haven't figure out the before and after school stuff yet. This daycare doesn't pick up or drop off like our old daycare did.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
The time for kindergarten registration is coming up soon in my area. What are your kindergarten plans for this fall? New school? Bus or drive? Full day or part time? Home schooling?

Frederick will be going to Saint James. He will do full day kindergarten. The registration packets are out. I plan to fill it out this weekend and write the 150.00 deposit for next year. His school starts at 7:45 and ends at 2:45 pm. They do not have buses so, he will be dropped off. Then once school lets go, 2 days a week, he will go to the after school care till 5. The other three days, my mom or sister are going to alternate picking him up.

His tuition is going to be approximately 550 a month for in parish rate when you add in the 350 bookbill/ASC fees. Can't believe next year he starts wearing uniforms.

January 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
full day kindergarten, we register in march. i think she will take the bus. i am nervous about it, but she is excited. the school is one of the best in the city, i am still nervous though.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search