Kindergarten

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OurSweetLabs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Who's registering their kiddos for Kindergarten?

In my area I believe registration is this week. A friend of mine was talking about it for her almost 5yo daughter.

Have you done it? Where are your kiddos going to school this fall? Is it all day or half day?
January 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Julka
Well, Veronika is already in kindergarten since it's a 2-year program in our school district. We went through registration and orientation and all that last year. She's doing the junior year now and senior year next year; their class is basically 1/2 junior kids and 1/2 senior kids... next year she'll have a kindergarten graduation.

She's half day right now; her school is switching to full day kindergarten in September 2014 but she'll be in grade one by then so she'll miss it. The school is from junior kindergarten and through grade 8; she & Natasha take the school bus together but they return separately since Natasha is grade 1 (full day).
January 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'll register Kate in a couple of weeks. Screening and such is done in March. Our district just went to full day kinder for next year too!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 27th, 2013, 05:24 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ethan will be registered next month He'll go from 9-3 I'm going to miss him terribly. I'm trying not to think about it yet.

January 27th, 2013, 09:07 AM
NoahandLola's Mommy
so hard to believe... our school district hasn't had registration yet. our kinder is half day - either morning or afternoon.

January 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting how so many districts are going to full day kindergarten.

I homeschool, so in fall I will require a bit of seatwork from Reid, like practicing letters, beginning math and phonics, learning to read. He does a little bit now already but it's only when he wants to. In fall it will be required, but won't take long at all.
January 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
I'm not really sure when I have to register Ellie.
We plan on sending her to a local private school. It is actually at the church we have been attending over the last several months.
Our daycare lady sends her kids to the school. I will just ask her how soon I need to take care of it. Then again, I guess I could just call them or ask someone at church.
January 27th, 2013, 04:27 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're homeschooling, so it's just a matter of ordering the next level of our curriculum, which I hope to do this week while a sale is going on.

January 28th, 2013, 03:50 PM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Registration for our district begins in April. He will actually be going to our neighboring district where my DH is a teacher. It's full day.
January 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Registration here is NEXT WEEK! Ah! It's a half day program in our town, one of the only towns left. I think Kindergarten from 8:50 - 11:30 is ridiculous and have no clue what they are supposed to learn in that amount of time, but alas.

I would love to be able to send the kids to Montessori, but its $13,000/year.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
January 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Right now our plan is to Home school. So I am touring a few Co Ops and hoping that I get into the one that I really like.

Our District had registration last week, I will have to go sometime and sign a waiver for not enrolling him, but I am not in a hurry to do so.
youngwoman and 4 boys like this.

January 30th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
Our registration starts in February. As Jack has done 2 years of pre-school, I am not really that stressed, concerned, just excited about all the new stuff he will be learning!
February 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Donovin is in pre- k right now which is half day. Registration is in May for Kindergarten which is a full day program. I can honestly say I am not excited about sending him all day long and have really contemplated home schooling. Dh however, is not on board with it.
February 2nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovinsMommy View Post
Donovin is in pre- k right now which is half day. Registration is in May for Kindergarten which is a full day program. I can honestly say I am not excited about sending him all day long and have really contemplated home schooling. Dh however, is not on board with it.
Same here. I miss him when he's in school for 2 1/2 hours 3 days a week. I can't imagine all day everyday. I've thrown around the idea of homeschooling but Shawn doesn't think I'll be able to do it efficiently with the baby around. It's a tough decision.

February 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmom0408 View Post
Same here. I miss him when he's in school for 2 1/2 hours 3 days a week. I can't imagine all day everyday. I've thrown around the idea of homeschooling but Shawn doesn't think I'll be able to do it efficiently with the baby around. It's a tough decision.
You could potentially do school while Mason naps, if he naps for 1-2 hours each day. My daily lessons with Leah tend to take 45-60 minutes. I remember when we were researching homeschooling, I read in several places that a good rule of thumb is 30 minutes of instruction time per grade level. We exceed that a bit, but it's still never more than an hour unless Leah is happily finishing an art project or coloring. Just a thought.

February 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Addy will go to a charter school that is half day. The only bummer is that I drive them and will have to make an extra trip since she gets out half day and Mia will be full day in first grade. I like their curriculum though. My regular district school is full day.
February 4th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwoman View Post

You could potentially do school while Mason naps, if he naps for 1-2 hours each day. My daily lessons with Leah tend to take 45-60 minutes. I remember when we were researching homeschooling, I read in several places that a good rule of thumb is 30 minutes of instruction time per grade level. We exceed that a bit, but it's still never more than an hour unless Leah is happily finishing an art project or coloring. Just a thought.
Thanks Amanda! That's a great idea but if Mason is anything like Ethan he will start giving up naps around age 2. I would hate to try to commit to teaching and then have to give it up and send him to school because Mason won't nap. Sometimes I wish they were closer in age.

February 5th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elijah's preschool takes care of registration for us. They have begun visiting the Kindergarten classes though for an hour or so. They will increase it slowly until right before the end of the year when they will let them spend a whole day (1/2 day for preschoolers) with them. I'm so ready for him to go to Kindergarten!
February 6th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've already met with Elizabeth's kindergarten for September. She'll go two full days a week, plus alt Fridays, and she will be taking the bus from the house.

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
February 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kai will be going full day. Just not sure where yet. We are moving apartments and are hoping to find one near a school that we like

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search