Food Stipulations

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 04:38 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Do you currently enforce any stipulations on what kinds of foods you buy or allow your children?

Some areas are
  • Protein: Organic, Free range, antiboitic free, etc
  • Dairy: Organic, lactose free, etc
  • Produce: organic for most or all, or porous skin only
  • Breads: Gluten free, whole grains, etc
  • Additives: restrictions on food dye colors, HFCS, Aspartame, Sucralose, etc
  • Water - Flouride free, enhanced, etc
  • Juice and other beverages - sugar free, flavored water, etc

February 25th, 2013, 10:44 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Protein: Organic, Free range, antiboitic free, etc i buy organic, anti biotic free, and pastured meats, but if we go out to dinner obviously the food isn't always organic.
Dairy: in general we are a dairy free household. i occasionally buy raw milk and pastured butter for Sarah.
Produce: definitely organic for the dirty dozen.
Breads: i buy whole grain bread for Sarah and Steven. Vincent has some on occasion but wheat really constipates him so i try to avoid giving it to him as much as possible. i bake with almond meal and coconut flour.
Additives: we avoid processed foods as much as we can. absolutely no dyes, hfcs, or other fake sugar. we don't use white sugar. i bake with maple syrup and raw/local honey.
Water - Flouride free, enhanced, etc- we use a brita filter which doesn't get rid of the fluoride, which i hate. i buy spring water sometimes.
Juice and other beverages - we mostly drink water. Sarah can have one small glass of juice a day, Vincent can have a small glass of watered down juice. no soda, except on rare occasion Sarah will get a sip of her dad's soda. Sarah also sometimes drinks kombucha.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US

Last edited by horseradishmayo; February 25th, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
February 26th, 2013, 05:25 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
not exactly...... I do buy local produce when available. Sydney also drinks lactose free milk because like me, regular milk is rough on her belly. I also try to avoid fake sugar, being a type 1 diabetic myself this isn't always completely easy, especially if I want a treat for myself but don't want to have to accommodate by giving myself butt tons of insulin but fake sugar (specifically sugar alcohols) wreak havoc on my digestive track....really nothing is completely off limits for the kids I guess but we do tend to eat pretty healthy non processed foods, that doesn't mean my kids don't have an oreo from time to time though I eat a very low carb diet because it reduces my insulin intake and keeps my blood sugars in check but at the same time it's a tough balance because I tend to lose weight quickly when I go too low carb, most people would like that but I don't, I hate being uber skinny lol...I have given up all sodas and carbonated beverages recently so I drink only water (most of the time) I also drink coffee...duh and my kids drink mostly water and milk and sometimes juice although neither are huge juice fans.
February 26th, 2013, 06:45 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No there isn't any food stipulations with what we give the boys. We do make them eat what we cook for dinner before having any snacks.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

February 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
We recently purchased the Feingold diet program but aren't starting it 100% yet. For now, we are following it loosely:

No-
Artificial (synthetic) coloring
Artificial (synthetic) flavoring
Aspartame (Nutrasweet, an artificial sweetener)
Artificial (synthetic) preservatives BHA, BHT, TBHQ

My kids are highly sensitive to dyes and preservatives, something we recently learned.

For milk, we buy vat pasteurized from a local dairy farm. That's about it for food "stipulations."
February 26th, 2013, 08:11 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My biggest one is no meat. Lilly is really into the veg thing actually and asks if certain soups and things have meat in them. Even when I'm the one cooking. Lol. I've never cooked meat.

We buy organic milk and cage free eggs, usually the eggs are from down the street or from a coworker.

I don't let them eat junk food like fruit by the foot or cookies (unless we make them) occasionally is okay like if we are at a party or something but I won't buy it from the store.

February 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Not really any stipulations here. We eat a half decently balanced diet and follow the basic rule of everything in moderation. I'm not into banning snack foods or treats from the house and Aidan is allowed a small treat if he's eaten a decent meal. He's not a huge sweet eater, so he's always more than satisified with just one or two candies/cookies. He's not one of these kids who goes completely nuts and glutenous around junk food, so it's always been very easy to keep things well within control. I've seen kids at birthday parties go bat **** crazy over candy and that would drive me bonkers.

I guess my one "ban" is pop and juice at home. Aidan only drinks milk and water at home. If we go out to the movies or special outing, he gets a non caffeinated pop, like Sprite. He's not really a fan of juice, probably since he's never really had it much and that's fine with me. He eats fruit for that fix.

February 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try to buy mainly organic. (Milk, veggies, fruits, eggs, meats, snacks). However, we do have Oreos in the house. So I am not crazy strict. My kids don't really drink juice mainly water, and milk. We have a filter in our fridge for water. I don't buy sugar cereals or fruit snacks, cheese puffs. However, if we are over a friends house they can eat it : /

I guess the one ban I have is soda. Even when we are out they can not have it.
February 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really make rules for food, I just shoot for certain things. I cook probably 90+% of our food from scratch, so that eliminates a lot of the junk. We rarely drink juice and I almost never buy soda (DH buys himself a Sprite about once a week). If we want a treat, we bake something (I keep homemade cookie dough in the freezer for just such occasions). We cook very little meat, maybe 2-3 nights a week and even then its a small part of the meal. I try to buy fruits and veggies either from a local farm stand or organic when possible.

February 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
No strict rules here - well other than milk and vedgies with dinner always. I buy as much organic products as I can afford and am buying more and more antimed free, hormone free, non gmo organic protien options - grass fed, free range, etc from local farms. Eggs cost $5.99 a dozen for free range organic local eggs so I am selective with my options and follow best what matters. We do allow a juice a day and a sweet after school. I'm looking at more natural healthy snacks, raw veggies, etc

The only soda I'll allow her is the ocasional make your own flavored soda using my soda stream because it's HFCS and aspartame free.

February 26th, 2013, 09:29 PM
**** that's a lot for eggs! i guess i am lucky. aside from our chickens, there are plenty of old people with "fresh eggs" signs outside their house around here. i knocked on some guys door when i was low on eggs recently and got really nice dark orange yolk eggs (free range) for $1.50/doz.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
February 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
I don't stick to a strict regime; I buy organic when I can. Organic meat isn't in my budget at all. I believe CA has higher prices on things, especially organic items. I have started looking in to getting a weekly fruit and produce box delivered and the price for that isn't too bad.
February 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I'm somewhere in the middle ground. I try to buy organic fruits and veggies whenever I can afford them, but they are very expensive here. I do make sure to buy organic for things like salads, root vegetables, berries, celery, herbs, tomatoes, etc. In those cases, I feel like the extra money is worth it. I also buy organic free range eggs. They are expensive too (like Cyndee said, about $5.99/dozen) but for some reason I just feel better buying eggs from happier chickens. I don't buy organic meat, but I really don't buy much meat anyways. I usually buy a bag of frozen chicken that lasts me a month or so. I avoid most dairy products for myself but London and dh consume them. I drink almond milk because I try to avoid excess soy. On the other hand, I have been eating some packaged veggie sausage for breakfast. I know it's not the very best option, but it is a convenient protein option that works for me right in the morning. I'd be open to suggestions for alternatives! We don't do gluten free in this house because we don't have any gluten sensitivities. I actually went 100% gluten free for about 3 months a while ago because of all the hype I heard, but I did not notice even a subtle difference. So, I realized in my case that I am not sensitive to gluten. I do buy whole grain bread 98% of the time (I do occasionally buy regular baguettes... yum!).
Beverages- London mostly drinks water or milk but I will allow juice or lemonade on occasion. It's not every day though. When we go out, she orders lemonade. For me, I drink a lot of iced green tea when not pregnant and I generally drink one soda a day (gasp! I know, it's horrible. I admit it). Since being pregnant, I have switched away from caffeine sodas. I have been trying to drink more water (filtered from fridge) and I do drink non-caffeinated sodas like root beer and sprite. Every morning, we also drink a 'green smoothie' made with mostly veggies and a little bit of fruit.
Eating out- We eat out about once a week and I don't put many restrictions on us at that time. I figure we are out to splurge anyways.
I do buy some 'healthier' packaged items for the convenience but I am trying to get better. I would love to hear some meal plans from those of you that are more strict than I am!
February 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We don't follow any kind of anything... We do buy whole wheat bread. I'm sure our overall health would improve if we did pay more attention to a lot of these things, but often it's not in our budget or I don't know what I should be looking for. If I'm looking for produce and the organic option is cheaper or comparable I'll go with that instead. I do like to get out to the farmer's market in the summer if I can, but we usually just end up with corn and berries, maybe rhubarb (unless mine grows this year, that stuff's expensive!). We aren't big veggie eaters here as it is, unfortunately.

We did stop buying a lot of pop last year. We do on occasion, but not like we used to. 10% of our grocery budget would be on 12-packs that were gone in 3-4 days. We also don't do a lot of snacks. DH and I realize that will-power is one of our biggest downfalls. He can sit and eat an entire bag of chips without noticing what he's doing. I'm the same with boxes of crackers. So we just don't keep that kid of thing in the house.

As for the girls I try to moderate what they eat, but I don't really restrict it. They've tried pop and promptly spit it out saying it was "spicy". Kaija has gotten into a habit of snacking all afternoon and not eating dinner. I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm putting my foot down on that.
February 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM
are there such things as white cage free organic all good eggs for easter?

I mistrust eggland for some reason.

March 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cyndee* View Post
are there such things as white cage free organic all good eggs for easter?

I mistrust eggland for some reason.
none of the eggs at the store that are labeled cage free are actually cage free. even the organic ones are kept in a small cage, they are just fed organic feed.

we dyed brown eggs with natural colors last year like tumeric and beet juice. they weren't very pretty, but it was fun.

http://livinghomegrown.com/2012/06/d...ised-eggs.html

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture

Last edited by horseradishmayo; March 1st, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
March 1st, 2013, 08:28 PM
jac, how do you bake with almond meal and coconut flour? what exactly are you substituting? why is that better than whole grain?

i need more friends like you IRL to rub off on me!
March 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
jac, how do you bake with almond meal and coconut flour? what exactly are you substituting? why is that better than whole grain?

i need more friends like you IRL to rub off on me!

Vincent and i are both sensitive to gluten. it makes me bloat and look 5 months pregnant and it makes him constipated, so i try to avoid wheat.
there are other reasons to avoid grains as well...it causes gut issues, inflammation, and contains phytic acid that inhibits absorption of minerals and vitamins (beans and nuts contain phytic acid too, but if you soak them if helps get rid of the "anti nutrient").
plus there isn't much nutrition in wheat, there is fiber and b vitamins, but you can get those elsewhere. i see wheat and grains as filler pretty much.
so i prefer almond meal since it's high in protein. i usually just look up "paleo" baking recipes. i have a ton pinned on pinterest. i am not a huge fan of coconut flour because it's so dense that you need like 5 eggs for 1/2c coconut flour. i do like coconut and almond flour blended together.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
March 1st, 2013, 09:20 PM
here's an article on going grain free
10 Reasons to Go Grain-free i do still eat quinoa, rice, and millet, but they don't affect me they way wheat does. i do have wheat occasionally, (pizza rarely, a sandwich maybe once a month.)
here are some recipes that use almond and/or coconut flour that i have made.
My Best Grain-Free Pancakes | Nurturing Wisdom
Fluffy Little Almond Flour Pancakes (GF) - The Nourishing Home
» Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes Against All Grain
Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies | Paleo Plan

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
March 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
yeah dh wants to go paleo but i am a no go. i am addicted to carbs. i have cut them out a ton but i still cant go without my occasional bagel and pizza and such.

thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search