Reading

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Julka
How is your child doing as far as reading on their own? Can they read 2, 3, 4, or 5+ letter words yet?
February 25th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reid is not really interested. He can slowly sound out 2 and 3 letter words if I ask him to, but he just doesn't really care.

This fall when he begins K I will start working with him more to get him reading but I'm not in any rush.
February 26th, 2013, 05:59 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No reading yet. Our homeschool curriculum starts to focus on some sight words in Kinder (next year) and then beginning reading in 1st grade. Like Erin, I am in no rush either.

February 26th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Julka
Veronika is doing sight-words now, in school. Her teacher sent home a list with 1, 2, 3 and 4 letter sight words and we're supposed to practice reading them. But she's beginning to read 4+ letter words on her own, it's really cute!

Yesterday she was doing some ABC activity sheets and when she got to L, I said, "what does L stand for?" She looked at the picture and said, "light." I said, "don't guess, read the word." She did and read "lamp." She was soooooo proud of herself, she just sounded out each letter and read. Natasha was reading by the end of Junior Kindergarten (where Veronika is now) and I think she will be too.
February 26th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Carrie knows a number of sight words...close to 100. She isn't as good at sounding words out. She wants to read so badly and gets frustrated that she can't yet. I think she'll be a good reader by next year with as interested as she is.
February 26th, 2013, 07:22 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ethan knows a few sight words. It's also not in the preschool cirriculum. Kindergarten is when they start reading.

February 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
Nope, not really. He knows a few words by sight, but not reading yet.
February 26th, 2013, 11:10 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
Keeley brings home reading books with 2,3, and 4 letter words they are more picture book which she reads very well i'm pleased how she's getting on.

February 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Kate knows a few sight words but that is about it right now. We don't do too much to "practice" right now, but she's starting to blend the sounds that letters make.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 1st, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not reading yet. They do not work on it in pre-k, and she is not interested at home. Her big sister was interested at this age, but they are so different. Next year they will work on reading, but I do plan to start working on it at home this summer to prepare her a little.
March 2nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Ady is on a first grade reading level, and has been for a while. I love her teachers!! Im hoping to test her out of Kinder bc I know that she will be bored.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search