Sleep Habits of your 5 Year Old

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am curious to see how far we have come! Here are some questions about your 5 year old's current sleep habits.

1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up?
2. How many hours do they sleep at night?
3. Do they still nap during the day?
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time?
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent?
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them?
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down?
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well?
9. Are you getting enough sleep?
March 3rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? 7pm bedtime, wakes up between 6:45 and 7:30

2. How many hours do they sleep at night? roughly 11

3. Do they still nap during the day? no

4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? pretty strict on bedtime, unless we are at a friends house. I'll let him sleep in as long as he wants.

5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? story and bed. I nurse Paige after the story, put her down then lay down with Jacob usually until he falls asleep. I'm trying to work on him falling asleep by himself.

6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? he wakes up by himself

7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? sometimes he does but usually he's pretty good about going along with it.

8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? I just want him to be able to fall asleep by himself; he can he just wants me there every night and I think at this age he should do it by himself. I usually leave after about 10 minutes. The other thing I'm working on is him coming into my bed every night. Ugh, it's got to stop!

9. Are you getting enough sleep? most nights yes, I go to bed pretty early,but Paige has been up at 6:45am yesterday and today and I'm really dragging.
March 3rd, 2013, 11:19 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? between 8 and 9. Wake up time varies too, between 8:30 and 10

2. How many hours do they sleep at night? 12-14

3. Do they still nap during the day? nope

4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? not strict.

5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? a snack while they watch one 30 minute TV show, then brush teeth, go potty, wash hands, and then bed. if she doesn't stall we read a book or 2, but she is usually hyper and trying to delay bedtime. i am going to switch tv to a book...hopefully it will help. i usually tuck Sarah in first and then nurse Vincent to sleep. i do solo bedtime because Steven works 2nd shift.

6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? school days (M,T,Th) i usually have to wake her up.

7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? she usually fights it. she is just so hyper.

8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? she's a big procrastinator and really likes to take her time getting ready for bed.

9. Are you getting enough sleep? i get about 7 hours a night, but i stay up late and still feel tired. i should try to go to bed earlier.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
March 4th, 2013, 06:00 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? Sydney goes to bed usually between 8 and 9pm. She has to get up by 7 on weekdays to get to school and the weekends she sleeps until 7 or 8am
2. How many hours do they sleep at night? 10-12 on average
3. Do they still nap during the day? not usually but occasionally at school she does take a little nap since they still have nap time, she usually just rests though.
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? bedtime not very strict, wake up during the week has to be by 7 though or DH is late for work and that can't fly. Syd does want me to lay down with her to fall asleep still and while it would be nice if she just went to bed on her own it doesn't bother me enough to change it, it won't always be this way. She also comes into our bed a couple nights a week in the middle of the night, this also doesn't bother me really...I coslept on and off with my parents until I was at least 6.....maybe older and I don't still sleep with them so it will be ok, I think!
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? bath, quiet play time with her brother (sometimes they play with books, puzzles or whatever) sometimes they watch a show just depends. Brush teeth, into bed. I am not always consistent with it, especially on the weekends, when I let her fall asleep on the couch with me watching a movie or something. Sam has a more consistent bedtime because he is a kid who asks to go to bed. He will just say "I tired mommy" and that's my cue, he has always been easy to put to bed and rarely ever wakes up at night, that's just how he is.
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? usually she wakes up on her own but not always.
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? yes sometimes, I just encourage quiet activities to help her unwind.
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? no I am not concerned
9. Are you getting enough sleep? yes I think I do. I am generally in bed by about 10 and up around 6:30

Last edited by kimmiejo; March 4th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
March 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? 9 pm, he wakes up at 7 during the week & I let him sleep in on the weekends.
2. How many hours do they sleep at night? 10-12
3. Do they still nap during the day? sometimes
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? pretty strict, he has to be up for school.
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? make sure he goes potty and then bed.
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? he wakes up on his own.
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? he doesn't fight.
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? no concerns
9. Are you getting enough sleep? Yes, in bed 10-10:30, up at 6:30

March 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bedtime is around 830 and they normally wake up about 530 ish.
Weekends are different if I can convince them to sleep in with daddy they may sleep in until 7ish.

9-10 hours

During the week at daycare they both take a nap, on the weekend they do not normally take a nap.

Not very strict. Normally they tell me they are tired around 8-830pm and want to go to bed.

Not really. We sit and all watch tv and then the boys tell us we are tired and I take them to bed.

They normally wake up on their own. Once in a while we have to wake them up. Aiden will wake up a few times in the middle of the night and come to our room. I don’t mind having one kid in the bed but when they both wake up, I take one back to their room and sleep in there.

No, we sit and watch TV as a family. We normally don’t force bedtime. When they get tired, they tell us. I don’t have to lay down with the boys for them to fall asleep. They will not fall asleep only in their room. I tend to fall asleep with them and unless Ryan wakes me up, I call sleep all night in there.

Not too many concerns. I wish I can break the habit of me lying with them so they can sleep. When Aiden was 4 he told me when I turn 5 I will sleep alone. Now he tells me when I turn 6 I will sleep alone.

9. Are you getting enough sleep? Yes. Since I go to bed with them I get plenty of sleep but then I do wake up at 4 am.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

March 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? Story time starts at 7:45 in his room, then straight to bed/lights out after that. He falls asleep on his own within minutes. Usually somewhere around 8:15, depending on which 3 books he chooses.
2. How many hours do they sleep at night?11 - 13
3. Do they still nap during the day? No. They have "nap" time at daycare (every other day for him), but he doesn't sleep, just quiet time.
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? Pretty strict, I'm very schedule driven. Weekday mornings, he has to be up at 7:00 to be ready for the bus and/or drive to daycare. On the weekends, it's about 50/50 us waking him or him waking on his own. On his own, his up by about 8:00 at the latest. If we have something scheduled, then we'll wake up. a bit earlier. Bedtime, he's a mess if he doesn't go to bed at his usual time, so we enforce it with no real push back from him.
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? At 7:00 we do potty/jammies and every other night, a bath as well. Then either play time or TV time until 7:45, then 3 books (about 20 - 30 minutes), then lights out. Yes, we are consistent.
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? A little of both, noted above.
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? No fight at all, the boy loves his sleep.
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? No concerns. Some mornings, it would be nice to not have to power struggle to get him moving, but even that isn't horrible.
9. Are you getting enough sleep? Probably not. I'm a night owl and tend to stay up until midnight or 1:00 and then I'm up at 6:30. Lately, I've been starting to fall asleep in front of the TV at around 10:00, so I've started to actually get my butt to bed when that happens, instead of waking up at 1:00, turning on a new show and staying awake another hour.

Last edited by TheMommyProject; March 4th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
March 4th, 2013, 02:25 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? In bed at 8-8:30, asleep by 9.
2. How many hours do they sleep at night? 9
3. Do they still nap during the day? never
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? Strict at bedtime. She's almost always up before us.
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? Game or book with snack, teeth brushed and in bed with ipod or kindle for 20 minutes.
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? I rarely have to wake her up
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? She's good as long as she has her gadget to help her fall asleep.
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? Just wish she'd sleep in longer on the weekends
9. Are you getting enough sleep? No, feel like I can never get enough.

March 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? lights out by 8
2. How many hours do they sleep at night? 11-13
3. Do they still nap during the day? ha no
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? strict on bedtime, some days i am counting down until bedtime!
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? after dinner its bath, vitamins, teeth, 3 stories and bed. my husband lays with them until they fall asleep, while i put ruby to bed. the boys are insanely hyper at night so the whole process after dinner takes ages and it not fun.
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? on school days he get woken up. sam is a morning person but walter is not.
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? he does. the only thing that helps is being very firm, sometimes taking away a story
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? nope, aside from the lack of night time potty training
9. Are you getting enough sleep? i have a 4 month old, so not really
March 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. What time is their bedtime? What time do they wake up? Bedtime is 8:30; he's usually up around 7.
2. How many hours do they sleep at night? About 10
3. Do they still nap during the day? Only if he's sick.
4. How strict are you on bedtime and wake up time? I'm fairly strict with bedtime, but not wake up.
5. What is your bedtime routine? Are you consistent? Dinner, bath, book, brush E's teeth, E to bed, one on one time with Liam, brush Liam's teeth, book, and bed. Usually he takes a book or two to bed with him too.
6. Does your LO wake up on their own or do you have to wake them? He's always up on his own.
7. Does your LO fight bedtime? How do you help them wind down? He doesn't fight it at all.
8. Do you have any sleep concerns at this time or is everything going well? Other than the fact I'd love to sleep in a little later, no.
9. Are you getting enough sleep? No, but its usually my fault for staying up too late.

March 5th, 2013, 04:27 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Bedtime is around 8 and they wake up between 6:30-7

Around 10-11

Occasionally. Abri will nap at daycare but Lily just rests. They both nap on the weekend

Pretty strict. We have to get out of the house to get to work so they need plenty of sleep at night

Potty, brush teeth, floss, prayers, bed

Lily wakes up but Abri has to be drug out of bed

Nope, they are easy to put to bed. They will talk after lights out which is really the only issue. No need to help them wind down. We just tell them it's time to get ready and they go upstairs on their own

No concerns. Both girls are good sleepers and stay in their bed. I do need to ditch Abri's pacifier though

No. I'm worn down from work and being pregnant but I still don't go to bed until 10. I'm up at 4:45 twice a week to run and up at 6:30 the rest of the week.
March 5th, 2013, 06:52 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Bedtime starts at 7:30, in bed lights out by 8. Kaija is usually up by 7 any more.

It seems to be no more than 11.

Only if she's sick or EXTREMELY tired for some reason. Even then it's like negotiating with a terrorist.

We don't have to be strict on bedtime, she usually asks to go to bed and doesn't fight it when we tell her it's time. No one has to be anywhere until 9, so wake up time doesn't matter. Even kindy starts at 8:30 and is only 2 blocks away, so I won't be too crazy when school starts either.

Shows, books, potty, bed. Brush teeth if we remember. They girls might negotiate one more show/watching a movie longer in place of books, but as long as they're in bed at 8 I don't mind that.

They wake up on their own.

No, thankfully. Only if we're away from home. They do both seem to lose their minds around 6:30 every night and just go nuts! But they burn off what energy they have left and are ready for bed by 7:30.

No worries. When Kaija had the flu she fell asleep early one night without a pullup on and stayed dry all night. After that she decided she was ready to go without. She's had a few accidents since, but mostly she's been doing well!

No, as usual. It's my own fault though. I work until at least midnight most days, and then stay up chatting with DH online until 12:30-1.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search