Miranda - Update please!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mommy2Hunter
  • 2 Post By Mommy2Hunter
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
Miranda, I was really excited to read your response in the sibling post about your fostering. Can you give us an update on your experience to date and your future news!
March 6th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI!

I keep forgetting that the people I don't see daily or in person rarely are aware of the fostering aspect of our lives! Sorry!

So, just to catch everyone up...

Back in May we got Ryan, our first foster son. He was 9 and turned 10 in our care. He was originally supposed to be with us just through the summer, but ended up staying until mid December. We thought that getting a kid the same age as one of our kids was going to be easy and oh so convenient. Turns out, we were idiots! lol Ryan was a great kid really. He didn't have any sort of outrageous scary behavior and he wasn't even on any sort of medication (most the kids will be that we foster) but due to the stuff that he'd be subject to he had ZERO self esteem. In fact, it was probably negative zero it was so non existent. Of course we knew to expect this, however being the same age and grade as Hunter just amplified it. Everything was a competition. If Hunter did something great, we found ourselves having to praise him in private- or not at all simply to avoid the full out meltdown that would ensue. And when Ryan did something great, praising him also turned into a meltdown! Quickly we realized that our trainer MAY have known what she was talking about when she was advising us to NOT foster a kid the same age as one of ours..haha. Lessons=learned!

We were sad to see Ryan go, despite all the complete mental exhaustion we were suffering, but also relieved to get a break from it and take that time to spend with our boys. He ended up moving to MN to live with his aunt and uncle who are AWESOME. We still keep in somewhat regular contact with him. We let him lead the correspondence since we don't want to get in the way of any bonding he's doing with his new family. He is doing well now that he's started to get adjusted to another new school, friends, family and climate.

After Ryan left we knew we needed a short break so we went on hold status and agreed to do respite care in the interim. Respite care is basically where we take other family's foster kids for a short time while they get a break. It can be as much as 1 night or 2 weeks. We did respite back at the end of January for 4 siblings who were 3 girls and 1 boy ages 5, 4, 3, and 2. So that made for 6 kids for a weekend. It was fun and sooo exhausting. God bless their foster family! LOL But it was only for a weekend and it was nice to know that even though we aren't providing a foster home right now that we were helping out the parents who so desperately need a break. I never did schedule respite for Ryan and wish I would have. I felt guilty b/c I didn't want it to seem like since he wasn't mine that I could just get away from him whenever I wanted. Stupid! I know now to take full advantage of the opportunity!

Now for our current situation. We are still on hold, however our social worker approached us a little over a month ago about if we would be interested in taking in teenage girls. She has dropped hints all along that she wants to place them with us because she feels like I would be a great mentor for a teen girl. A few months ago I am pretty sure I laughed in her face. However, something changed when she brought up this current 15 year old girl who is a ward of the state and is living in their residential girls home. She has some major issues (emotional behaviors), but has SO much potential if she could find a home that would allow her to make mistakes safely and in a loving environment. Her previous foster home was uber strict and wouldn't allow her any priveleges of being a teen girl even though she was cooperating with their rules and expectations. Because of this she started to act out and they sent her back to the girls home. This happened right before the holidays and so naturally she hit a really low place. Another foster family (they provided respite care for her while she was in the previous placement) has been visiting with her and I believe she's under the assumption that she would be placed with him once she earned her way out of the girls home. AT one point she lost her visiting priveleges but the figured out that her medication needed to be changed/fixed and since then has been doing well and earned her priveleges of visitation back. However, this family has 3 kids of their own, 1 being a 2 month old and now have a teenage boy living with them and so for obvious reasons, this is not a good idea..haha. So currently we are waiting to hear from the other foster family's case worker, the state social worker and the therapist at the girls home on whether or not they want to entertain the idea of sending her to us. Our social worker is going to push hard for it and to my understanding the state social worker is on board too. It just has to be done in a delicate manner so as not the throw the girl back into a tailspin. We are so anxious to hear what is going to happen. I can't explain it but I physically ache for her daily. I haven't even met her yet, but it feels like I'm missing one of my own children. My only answer is it's a God thing. Whereas before the thought of getting a sexually active teenage girl with severe emotional issues would have sent waves of terror through me now there is this insane burning physical longing for her. It's nuts. Some days I feel like I'm certifiably crazy because of it. Even John asks every day if I've heard anything more from our case worker. We've lost it folks!

Another thing about this placement if/when it happens is that it will be her last placement. We are going into this understanding that baring anything catastrophic she will be with us until she ages out at 18, or she can choose to keep herself in the system until she's 21 (because really, what kid is ready for independence at 18 especially with a past like hers). She's also a ward of the state, so adoption is another possibitily with her. If things work and both of us feel like it is somethign we want (both of us meaning us and her) then we will be open to adopting her and making her ours forever.

So, that's it for now! IT's a whole lot of wait and see at this point but we are SO anxious and excited over it. Thanks for asking for an update! And we covet and appreciate any prayers you all might have for us. And also prayers for her that no matter what happens- she gets to a good place and turns out to be a wonderful adult! Thanks!

Edited to add: And as if the foster thing wasn't enough change for 1 year we also bought a new house on 4 acres that needs a whole lot of TLC, found out how much travel was included in the job John started in March (um, a lot), and sent John to Brazil for a 2 week mission trip which required a large financial sacrifice. Oy!
Just_Marie and TallyGirl22 like this.

Last edited by Mommy2Hunter; March 6th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
March 6th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, Miranda, you guys sure have a full plate!! Good for you for doing the fostering and opening your home to this girl. I hope it works out for all of you. Thanks for the update!
March 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is so admirable what you & your husband are doing. I am in awe! I truly hope everything works out with this girl; I can only imagine how she might flourish in your home. What a great update!

March 6th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Wow!!! I am in awe of you guys!!! That is so incredible what you guys are doing!!!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
March 6th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Praying for your family and this girl! Thank you for offering her your home and love. What a gift!
March 6th, 2013, 11:42 PM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
Wow you are superwoman

March 7th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You guys are an amazing family. I really enjoyed reading your update. I hope all goes well with this new possible placement. I will be in prayer for you guys.
March 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a great update! So happy that you are fostering!
March 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone! We are just doing what we have been so far called to do. No telling if/when it will end but we just hope we can help the kids that come across our paths in the best way possible!

I will know more about our prospective placement probably this evening. They are all having a meeting today about it, but as of right now it looks like we are going to be option B. The other family has expressed interest in adopting her and although they may not be the best fit for her, it's probably better for her to have continuity, however she cannot visit them while they have the teen boy in their care unless they can find a respite provider for him. So what they are going to do is allow us to start visiting with her and taking her once or twice a month for a weekend. The meeting today is to (1) reprimand them for not telling the staff at the genesis home that they have a teen boy with them and also not letting their social worker (who placed the teen boy with them) know that they were taking her for the weekend. It's happened twice now and they are NOT happy. And (2) to make certain that this family is absolutely on board with adopting her and to talk with them about what kind of care she needs vs what they can actually give her. Our SW is not sold on allowing them to adopt her b/c of her experience with them (they are 22 years old and don't have the life experience and parenting experience that she wants for a teen to live with them) however, in the girls case stability may be the bigger need over structure.

In the meantime they are going to visit with her and provide her weekend respite and hopefully start building a relationship with her so that if things fall through with the other family we are already there and waiting. I admit, it's been a sad morning for me to find out that we are option b at this point and this all may not work out. I'm really feeling like I got the air knocked out of me. But I know God's not done with this situation yet and no matter the outcome, in the end it will be what it will be.

Thanks for all your prayers! We truly appreciate it!
Just_Marie and SheilaRN like this.
March 7th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, a 22 year old adopting a 15 year old? That sounds kind of crazy. I think a little maturity might count for a lot here. In any case, I hope all works out for the best for this young lady.
SheilaRN likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I have to say I agree personally, but she's been bounced around so much and has had a lot of loss in her life so I can see their point too. Our SW feels like after todays meeting they may get their feelings hurt and back up a little. Hopefully when they discuss with them the sort of parenting she needs they will carefully consider their qualifications!
March 8th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are amazing! Prayers!
March 11th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You are amazing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated. You are inspiring to many.
March 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
Thanks so much for the update. You and John are truly amazing, my prayers to you on your journey.
March 12th, 2013, 07:27 PM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow Miranda you guys are AMAZING. I knew the initial story before you guys started and a few posts here and there buts its awesome to hear the whole story and how its been going. I wish the best for you guys as well as the sweet girl. Lots of prayers coming your/her way! Please KUP!

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search