Goody bags? Cupcakes?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By ethansmom0408
  • 1 Post By claire1979
  • 2 Post By Coffee_Bean
  • 2 Post By 2xPink
  • 1 Post By ethansmom0408
  • 1 Post By 2xPink
  • 1 Post By MommyToCooper
  • 1 Post By clouise
  • 1 Post By TallyGirl22
  • 1 Post By KellersMom517
  • 1 Post By Coffee_Bean

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Julka
Are you bringing anything to your child's school for their birthday? If so, what are you bringing?

Also - general question - what are some good things to put inside goody bags? The school recommends pencils, erasers, stickers... I usually include some stickers b/c most kids love those, but as far as pencils, erasers, and sharpeners... They have brought SO MANY of those in the past because that's what everyone does. And I mean, an eraser at their age can last a few years and we recently had like 20 of them (I threw some out). And to afford a pencil for each kid, people buy them at the dollar store and they always break when you sharpen them (unlike the nice pencils from Scholar's Choice, etc.)

Any ideas for inexpensive things to put inside that are non-edible but that a 4-6 year old would love?
March 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be making Angry Bird cupcakes for school. I haven't thought about goody bags. If its not too expensive, I'd like to buy each kid a little souvenir from Disney. There's only 15 kids in his class. We'll see.
Julka likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Julka
Do they allow the kids to eat the cupcakes in school?

Veronika brought a letter that some of her classmates have food allergies/sensitivities and while everyone is aware of the no-nut policy, they still recommend non-edible treats. Parents still send candies and lollipops for holidays/birthdays, though, but the teacher asks the kids to put it in their backpack and eat at home. Veronika even brought home a cupcake once from someone's birthday and it was all mushy, so yeah, no cupcakes here! If I knew they could eat them right away, then it would be another story!
March 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
I will be sending a bag of lolly pops in for the kids. only allowed to take a little thing each into schools.
Julka likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
I hired a princess to come to Ady's school last year for her 4th birthday and she requested she come again for her 5th. Her theme was Pinkalicious and I bought mini cupcakes and made these goody jars made out of 4oz mason jars and caulk into cupcakes filled with M&M's. The kids LOVED it!!!

http://club.chicacircle.com/got-cand...h-caulk-ideas/
Julka and SheilaRN like this.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
March 6th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Julka
that's adorable, Melba!
March 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Addy is the allergy girl in her class. I will probably send lollipops. I am guessing tattoos would not be appropriate for their school. There is a great brand of cookies, Enjoy Life, that is free of the major allergens. I may send those cookies, since Addy can eat them. They would probably be okay for the kids in Veronika's class, but it sounds like her teacher may not let them eat it anyway. I saw someone send play doh with a sticker on it that said it was from their child. I thought that was cute, and it might be cheaper than doing a bag with multiple things. I was also considering making something based on a Valentine Addy got. It was a flower made of construction paper with a pixie stick as the stem. I was wondering if I could make a birthday balloon for Addy with a pixie stick on it. Still trying to figure out what to do.
Julka and Hugo&Sergiosmom like this.
March 7th, 2013, 04:23 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Do they allow the kids to eat the cupcakes in school?

Veronika brought a letter that some of her classmates have food allergies/sensitivities and while everyone is aware of the no-nut policy, they still recommend non-edible treats. Parents still send candies and lollipops for holidays/birthdays, though, but the teacher asks the kids to put it in their backpack and eat at home. Veronika even brought home a cupcake once from someone's birthday and it was all mushy, so yeah, no cupcakes here! If I knew they could eat them right away, then it would be another story!
I have to buy a certain brand (Duncan Hines, I think) that doesn't have nuts in it. That is the only allergy that it is in his class. They eat their cupcakes during snack time instead of their snack or in addition to their snack.
Julka likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xPink View Post
Addy is the allergy girl in her class. I will probably send lollipops. I am guessing tattoos would not be appropriate for their school. There is a great brand of cookies, Enjoy Life, that is free of the major allergens. I may send those cookies, since Addy can eat them. They would probably be okay for the kids in Veronika's class, but it sounds like her teacher may not let them eat it anyway. I saw someone send play doh with a sticker on it that said it was from their child. I thought that was cute, and it might be cheaper than doing a bag with multiple things. I was also considering making something based on a Valentine Addy got. It was a flower made of construction paper with a pixie stick as the stem. I was wondering if I could make a birthday balloon for Addy with a pixie stick on it. Still trying to figure out what to do.
Aww, why not tattoos? I've had parents include tattoos in birthday goody bags before which was cute. There was ONE time when Veronika got a Monster High tattoo that I didn't care for, but mostly they send stuff like animals or princesses for girls, etc.

I do like the playdough idea too. TRU has a set of 24 individual little containers of playdough for $19.99, a bit pricey, but it's on my "maybe" list.
March 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is actually Mia's school that is super conservative. I think some people don't like tattoos because they are like promoting marking up your body...not sure. I just have Mia put her tattoos somewhere on her body that is covered by the dress code. LOL. I like stamps and little notepads.
Julka likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cooper's school let's us bring in treats. They prefer oreo's because all the kids can eat them but if we choose to bring in something else and a child with an allergy can't have it the school provides that child a special treat.

Cooper wants to take in fruit cones this year so we'll do a bunch of diced fruit and ice cream cones.
Julka likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
One year I did coloring books and crayons for each kid. I went to the dollar store so it wasn't too bad. I've also thrown in little matchbox cars and mini toy animals.
Julka likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 06:03 AM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Elizabeth's school allows parents to bring in treats but Elizabeth has requested that we bring pizza for her class for a pizza party for lunch on her birthday on the 28th... so looks like we'll be bringing cheese and pepperoni pizza for her bday at school. We don't do goody bags at school - I'll make little ones for the kids at her playground party on the 24th and I usually include some kind of little candy, stickers, pencils and temporary tattoos (Elizabeth's FAV lol)
Julka likes this.

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
March 9th, 2013, 05:43 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
We can bring cupcakes - this is the last year that I'll be able to do it for Keller since at the public school they only allow non-edible treats, or you can order from the school (from a list of approved ie healthy and allergen free snacks )...so lame.

I make my cupcakes from scratch and that seems to be ok with them. There are no allergy kids in his class this year.

I did goody bags for Valentine's Day with stickers, a slap bracelet, a bouncy ball, some mini m&ms, and a little stamper thingie.
Julka likes this.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
March 9th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
One of Ady's classmates had a birthday party and brought a little journal type book with a Princess pencil and on the journal it had her name in different stickers. She absolutely loves it and writes in it all the time! Another child gave out bubble wands too!
Julka likes this.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search