Random Thoughts and Chit Chat

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2013, 11:51 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a little irritated with the doctor. She totally just blew me off. I'm not the kind of mom that freaks out over everything, my kids rarely get sick, and I don't sweat the little stuff. This stuff has me worried. My grandmother and cousin are type 1 diabetics; my dad and aunt are type 2. Its something I'm very aware of, so two incidents that look very much like low blood sugar worry me. The phone nurse obviously agreed with me when she wanted us in first thing this morning. The pedi came in, asked what happened, listened to my play by play, listened to his lungs, looked in his ears, and told me "its probably a virus and I wouldn't worry unless it was happening every day." Um, if it low blood sugar, you want me waiting until it happens daily?! Seriously?

March 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I'd be annoyed by that as well, especially given the family history. She wouldn't even do a simple blood test? Is this your regular pedi? If it's really worrying you, which it sounds like it is, I'd get another opinion from someone who is at least willing to do a test or two.

March 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Yup, regular pedi. I've always really liked that she's not a med pusher and is pretty laid back, but this one really irritated me.

March 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Aidan got off the bus with a cut on the side of his eye... had a mommy heart attack! It's not that bad and it only bled a tiny bit, but in my mommy distorted mind, it looked like a gaping wound with massive blood loss. Of course, he wasn't the least bit phased by it. It took a bit to figure out exactly what happened, but apparently he was trying to reach his friend's lunch box and ended up bonking his head on the side of the bus and of course didn't say anything, so the driver had no clue, which of course led to the talk about telling the driver if you get hurt on the bus, oy.

Our first school bus incident, glad it was minor!

March 20th, 2013, 02:45 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my kids are both puking. Vincent has been sick since saturday night. Sarah started last night. i am so ready for this so be over.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
March 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shannon I am a type 1 diabetic recently dx (last year) my brother was a type 1 dx as a toddler, anyway if you are really concerned you can buy a glucose meter and test strips over the counter, it might put your mind at ease. I worry about my kids and check them from time to time, especially Sam because he drinks a lot but so far his blood sugars are fine. Anyway just a thought!

Sorry Vincent and Sarah are puking that is never fun!!

and sorry Aiden got a wound! also no good but glad he is fine!
March 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
OMG you guys, rough week!

Maddie is in a not listening mood this week. I don't mind so much at home as in public places. I was going to take her to Chuck E Cheese but she misbehaved so badly in 2 stores prior with 5 warnings I pulled the plug on it, I'm not going to reward bad behavior. We will try again tomorrow.

The christening party was great! They rented a hall and it was a lot of fun. Now we are getting ready for our Egg hunt on the 30th, getting the fence installed on the 29th and I have the eggs stuff, going to order a sandwich platter and make appetizers and clean my brains out. I'm excited, I have a new pretty dress to wear and need to go find shoes - preferably ballet flats which I've never owned before. So ready for spring! The weather is not cooperating tho.

March 20th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
Shannon I am a type 1 diabetic recently dx (last year) my brother was a type 1 dx as a toddler, anyway if you are really concerned you can buy a glucose meter and test strips over the counter, it might put your mind at ease. I worry about my kids and check them from time to time, especially Sam because he drinks a lot but so far his blood sugars are fine. Anyway just a thought!

Sorry Vincent and Sarah are puking that is never fun!!

and sorry Aiden got a wound! also no good but glad he is fine!
DH and I spoke about this earlier and decided to go this route. Realistically, if this episodes are low blood sugar, we need the ability to test on the spot. The meters and strips are cheaper than I expected (for sporadic testing anyway). Between these episodes and my family history, I feel much better having a meter in the house.
horseradishmayo and kimmiejo like this.

March 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I have 3 different meters and they are all pretty comparable, I found a super cheap Walmart Generic Brand one (Relion) and their brand strips and they are spot on with my One Touch meter. The strips get major pricey even with my insurance but I also test at least 8 times a day, for once in a while it isn't too bad and I think it would give you peace of mind, it def makes me feel better to check the kids now and then. I have sooooo much diabetes in my family, mostly Type 1, it just worries me.... But anyway hopefully he checks out ok!
March 21st, 2013, 03:04 PM
I have successfully recovered all vue cup packages (unopened) and repacked them up!

Apparently it was funkified by a cheapie kcup or from it not being washed out over the weekend. So glad I don't drink coffee in the office LOL

March 21st, 2013, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cyndee* View Post
I have successfully recovered all vue cup packages (unopened) and repacked them up!

Apparently it was funkified by a cheapie kcup or from it not being washed out over the weekend. So glad I don't drink coffee in the office LOL
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
I have 3 different meters and they are all pretty comparable, I found a super cheap Walmart Generic Brand one (Relion) and their brand strips and they are spot on with my One Touch meter. The strips get major pricey even with my insurance but I also test at least 8 times a day, for once in a while it isn't too bad and I think it would give you peace of mind, it def makes me feel better to check the kids now and then. I have sooooo much diabetes in my family, mostly Type 1, it just worries me.... But anyway hopefully he checks out ok!
Thank you. I will look into that one. I'm very much hoping I'm wrong, but this is something I'm just not willing to stand back and wait to see what happens, you know?

March 22nd, 2013, 06:12 AM
totally understand Shannon. My DHs step sister has identical twin boys, around age 7 one of them started having some issues, constantly drinking and drinking and losing weight, their pedi kinda blew them off at first too but eventually tested him and he was diabetic, the other twin was dx too 6 months later. They wear pumps now and are doing great! It's worth checking into even if it's just for peace of mind. My mom tells me when my brother was dx (he was around 18months old) he got super duper sick, like sick, sick. They knew something was very wrong and it turned out his blood sugar was well over 500, he was in DKA. scary! better to catch it before that happens! Hopefully it's nothing though! KUP

Happy Friday! we have some Easter Egg hunts this weekend that we were invited too, seems too cold to be outside picking up plastic eggs. We shall see!
March 23rd, 2013, 03:37 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
KUP Shannon. I hope it's nothing, but it's good to trust your instincts and keep an eye on him.

I feel like a terrible mom. Lily had a dance competition this morning 2 hours away, and I couldn't go because I had to work. She woke up last night crying with ear pain too. Pretty sure it's her third ear infection of the winter. DH had to leave before 7 am this morning to get there so we dosed her up with Tylenol and DH packed the numbing drops and sent her on her way. I feel like she had a responsibility to her teammates to be at that competition since they judge them as a group. DH said she did well and the team got 3rd place. DH is at urgent care with her now, so hopefully it's just a minor ear infection.

So then I get to work and the other admin called out sick because her jaw hurt. Seriously? It's 3 weeks before the tax deadline and we are all pawning our children off to other family members to work overtime, and she couldn't show up because her jaw hurt? Funny that my 5 year old learned a lesson about being part of a team today, but this 35 year old hasn't ever had to learn it. Just a few more months and I am out of there.
March 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Apparently with all the same deductions and expenses and income, somehow this tax service is telling us that we owe the state 1200 this year when last year it was 180. Plus this was our first full year of filing as home owners so it should be LOWER, not higher. I am contesting it before they efile and want to review and compare it myself - thanks for letting us know NOW a week before april 1 grrr

March 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM
wow that stinks :/ I don't think we have ever owed or gotten anything back on state taxes, always just breaks even.

We ended up going to the egg hunt at Sydney's gymnastics place, then they had an open gym so we were there for like 2 hrs, it was fun! Kids loved it! I also got all the Easter basket goodies yesterday so that is done and we had friends over last night and had a game night. Now it's 5:30 and we are finished dinner and all in our jammies, gonna watch a movie and hope for an early bedtime. Pretty good weekend.
March 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Well, of 50 items I put up for the consignment sale, 47 sold, 2 were donated and one I have to pick up tomorrow for a take home amount of $96. Sweet!
horseradishmayo likes this.

March 25th, 2013, 02:09 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
very nice... Cyndee. A little extra money.
We are still working on our taxes but almost done.
The boys had a blast at the hockey game. I was a little nervous because at the beginning it get dark and loud. They ended up scared but they made it through it and enjoyed the rest.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

March 25th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Happy Monday, it's snowing and Syd is sick, good times!
March 25th, 2013, 07:34 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We owe tithe state too. Ugh.

Getting my hair cut today. I call it my baby cut. My hair always grows to mid back and the. Whenever I have a baby I always cut it to my shoulders because I don't like combing it all out. Lol

March 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am so done with this cold weather!
Vincent is finally no longer throwing up....it went on for 6 days!
Steven is working an early shift and Sarah is at school so it's just me and Vincent. it's really nice.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search