blood type

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 09:41 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am reading about eating right for your blood type, and it's pretty interesting. I am O+ which is described as the "hunter" and thrives on a high protein diet. i personally feel really shaky if i don't eat animal protein.
it lists foods to avoid and foods to eat a lot of. some of them i agree with, from my own experience and others i don't. for example, my foods to avoid are: dairy, wheat, coffee, beans, corn, and potatoes. those foods do make me feel awful. some other foods to avoid are pork, avocado, and coconut....which i don't see negatively affecting me, and i'm not sure i can live without them. it also says to avoid cauliflower, cabbage, and brussel sprouts, which i also love, but i don't eat them every day so i don't feel like i limiting them is as important as dairy and wheat.

anyway...i am kind of rambling.
this is the site with the chart - http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/blood_o_chart.asp

you can look up your blood type too.

what is your blood type, and do you find any of the foods to eat or avoid true for you?

:cri es::like : smilies courtesy of Vincent.

smilies unrelated. Vincent just really wanted me to click them.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
March 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am O- ...I have heard about this before diet vs blood type thing but never really thought too much about it but i find this interesting

"Characteristics of Type O - Best on High Protein Diet
Thrive on intense physical exercise and animal proteins
Do not do well with dairy and grain products
Hardy digestive tract
The leading factor in weight gain for Type Os is the gluten found in wheat germ and whole wheat products.
Type O have a tendency to have low levels of thyroid hormone and unstable thyroid functions, which cause metabolic problems and weight gain.
Type O have high stomach-acid content, can digest meat easily."

some seems true for me some not...I do thrive on exercise, I feel completely healthier with it, but I would think everyone would! I don't not have a hardy digestive tract but maybe that's because I eat gluten? I have considered cutting it out because I have some GI issues and I am type 1 diabetic so less grains equals less insulin needs....my thyroid is fine per labs and ultrasound but I have autoimmune diabetes, the 2 generally go hand in hand.....I def do not do well with dairy I can agree with that. I drink coffee which probably isn't good for anyone but I like it LOL and I also love brussel sprouts and caulifllower and never see an ill effect.

The gluten thing is worth investigating to me simply because of my GI issues and because sometimes I just feel sluggish after eating high amts of it.
March 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I don't believe it. Blood type cannot distinguish a global bloodline heritage that dictates diet. Humans are a species and species dictates diet. It would be like saying black cats should eat fish and white cats should eat chicken. Individual or subgroup tolerances are determined by environment and genealogy. In the chart almost all the 'rules' are commonly known for everyone (such as cabbage family foods suppress thyroid function, as they contain the chemical goitrogen, from which the word goiter is derived). I think they pick and choose to give credence to what lines to follow to validate the data but overall rules that could fit any/everyone.

I also disagree that it dismisses positive and negative blood types. Negative blood types do not contain the rhesus monkey gene - which would mean that the 2 blood lines have completely different origins (very widely disputed, it's unknown why this "mutation" occurred and why people with a negative blood type will try to reject a baby of positive blood type if the partner is positive.). Personally I feel like the RhoGam shot is more likely to be the trigger of thyroid disfunction, not eating too many cruciferous vegetables.

"Another claim the blood type diet makes is that lectins from specific foods only cause agglutination of specific blood types. Research seems to show the opposite. Very few plant foods contain lectins that react with specific blood types. Likewise, lectins are in virtually every food human beings eat – plants, animals, grains, nuts – so avoiding them is nearly impossible unless you eat a grossly restrictive diet. Humans have been eating lectin-containing foods since the beginning, yet many of the health issues of civilization (diabetes, metabolic syndrome, etc.) have only come about in relatively recent human history." 1

I don't think there is enough real research done to give it worth changing my diet for. My diet works around the medical issues I have (which I may be more prone to due to blood type, like gout and high blood pressure). It would make more sense to me if all individuals with the same blood type suffered all from the same medical disorders, had all the same nutritional needs, had all the same vaccinations, and they took the same medications and shared the same lifestyle habits.

Last edited by *Cyndee*; March 26th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
March 26th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it is interesting but most of the main points don't apply to me. I'm o- and it says I thrive on animal protein and need to avoid gluten. For me, it's the opposite. I'm not a vegetarian but I'm not much og a meat eater either. If I eat a whole bunch of meat, I just feel gross. I eat meat a few times a week and use other sources of protein (like nuts) the rest of the time.
Also, despite its popularity, I don't have a gluten sensitivity. I tried a gluten free diet for a couple months once but didn't feel any difference at all. So I no longer avoid it.
March 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Is it bad that I don't know my blood type? I should probably find that out.
March 27th, 2013, 08:44 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm also O+ and obviously eat a diet opposite of what they recommend. I've ran 10 full marathons, 30 something's halfs, birthed 3 kids, etc, etc all meat free and feel good most of the time. The times I don't feel good are because of being tired but I chalked that up to eating too much junk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search