History

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I'm not talking History channel BS that is more about reality shows than facts. Is anyone here into or have studied American or World history?

On HuluPlus, I recently discovered this awesome documenatarian named Ken Burns that has made several series for PBS. I listen to them while I work. I have gotten through his WWII series, Civil war series and am now watching his series on how the National Parks were created and the history of them. Really wonderful stuff.

In college I got an AA but focused studies on world religions, sociology, anthropology, and english before moving into enviromental science where I left just before completing a BA (I wanted to study Ecopsychology but it was in its infancy). But never really much of world or American history outside of Highschool. I'm very intrigued now as to what created this great nation and this weeks SC arguement over SSM makes me realize that equal rights for all citizens is still yet to be realized in this country, as our civil rights seem to be moving backwards in how the government can arrest or wiretap anyone suspected of 'terrorism' - not following the status quo. Now they want to put a drone base in the US to spy and possibly target americans on american soil. It's all quite frightening.

Some quotes to consider, lest we forget the lessons of the past and end up in another civil war

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience.
George Bernard Shaw

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
Karl Marx

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

one more Lincoln quote:
"We have, as all will agree, a free Government, where every man has a right to be equal with every other man. In this great struggle, this form of Government and every form of human right is endangered if our enemies succeed."

March 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I majored in history in college, with a focus on women. I wrote my thesis on the political implications of the bloomer movement- ie the effect they had on the women's suffrage movement. My interest lies mainly in the daily lives of women at different points in history. I love the Renaissance and the Civil War eras. Pair all of that with a minor in Women's Studies. Totally useless but very interesting.

In my area, I can see that we are about to take a step backwards. It's unfortunate, but I am hopeful that this is just a phase in our local politics.
March 26th, 2013, 06:04 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Have you watched the Downton Abbey series?

March 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Yes! I love it! I've only seen season 1 and 2 though. I need to catch up on season 3 because I heard there are some fantastic women's issues brought up. I think I've seen almost any period film that has come out recently, except for Anna Karenina which I am dying to see too. Lily and Abri's middle names are after strong political/royal women in history. Lily's is Josephine after Josephine Bonaparte. Abri's is Georgiana after Georgiana Cavendish, the Duchess of Devonshire in the late 1700s. She was well known for her political involvement and fashion trends, that and the gambling and ******* child she conceived with her lover while she was married

And apparently b a s t a r d gets censored. Oops
March 31st, 2013, 05:35 PM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Courtney, what is it you're referring to taking a step backwards for women or civil rights in your area?

I am totally fascinated by history. No college creds though. I study on my own. I know a *bit* about history of religion, women and early civilization. I like hearing stories of the early US.

Those quotes are definitely food for thought.

One thing which I have studied more thoroughly than other areas is local history and the origins of my city. The founders, the reason people came here, stuff like that. It has really put me in tune with my city and helped me feel a deep connection to it.
March 31st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destany View Post
Courtney, what is it you're referring to taking a step backwards for women or civil rights in your area?
An amendment to a our state constitution was passed in the fall. The main goal of the amendment was to define marriage as between a man and woman, which was already illegal in NC. The amendment also added other items- preventing children of unmarried couples from receiving employer benefits, potentially limiting the protection of police in domestic violence situations if the couple is unmarried, in cases of adoption for unmarried couples (NC allows for only one unmarried person to adopt) a child could be taken away by the state if the legal parent dies. All this applies to same-sex couples as well as opposite sex couples because NC does not allow common law marriage. This law passed by an overwhelming majority in my area. Okay that's enough politics from me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search