Confusing Story - Kindergartener Barred for no Chicken Pox Vaccine

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2013, 11:53 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Staten Island kindergarten student banned from school because of infant sibling’s rare medical disorder
5-year-old Frankie Warner has been barred from P.S. 36 for not receiving a chicken pox vaccination. Her parents say receiving the vaccine could prove deadly to her infant sister who suffers from a rare auto-immune disorder.

Read more: Staten Island kindergarten student banned from school because of infant sibling

Her sister is 14 weeks old, she is 6.

Shouldn't she have already been inoculated between age 1-5?
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...-varicella.pdf

Also wouldn't anyone vaccinated by a danger to this baby?

April 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I'm not understanding how the baby wouldn't be at risk around anybody who's had the vax, not just the sibling. There's obviously more to it than the article is going into.

As for the age, I'm assuming the parent's chose not to vax for their own reasons and it's only coming up now since the girl is school age. The mother may have had more success had she proactively consulting with the school upon registration of the unusual circumstances.

I agree, the whole thing is a bit confusing.

April 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I thought that as long as you had a note from your doctor, non-vaxed kids could attend public school.

It seems like there should be more to the story.

April 10th, 2013, 03:07 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Strange. I think the risk to the baby is that the vax is a live virus, so the big sister could shed that and THAT is the risky part. However if she'd had it already it wouldn't still be present in her system, just the immunity. Kind of like a flu vax.

But beyond that if the school talked to the Dr. and they still decided to bar the girl from school, there's got to be more to it. And isn't the school year just about done? Why wasn't this an issue before school even started? There must be more somewhere in this story.
April 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right, there are ways to get excluded. Parents can choose not to vaccinate on grounds that it is against their religion or other types of beliefs. You sign a waver and hand it into the school nurse. I know PLENTY of people who have done this and it's illegal for the state to force a parent to vaccinate and refuse education on those grounds.

Unfortunately many schools will try to force parents into it and most parents are not even aware that vaccines are not mandatory.

As far as risk to the baby, it could be that a fresh inoculation could cause the baby to get sick. I know children who wound up getting the illness that they were being vaccinated against and THAT would pose a risk to the baby. The chicken pox vaccine is a live virus and the risk of the six year old getting CP is higher than if the virus was dead. Also, there is a risk that she could infect the baby if she herself doesn't get pox.

I hate that the school is making it a power struggle, I agree there must be more to it.

ETA: As far as risking other kids by NOT having the vaccination - what exactly are they at risk for??? The ONLY risk to those other classmates is that they could get chicken pox from her if she were to catch it... chicken pox ARE NOT DEADLY. They are an inconvenience and uncomfortable. There is no real threat from them and no need to vaccinate and the idea that her classmates needed to be protected from her is idiotic.

Last edited by Destany; April 13th, 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: adding

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search