small baby and confusing doctors

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just got back from my 28 week ultrasound with my perinatologist and I am not really sure what to think. Yesterday, I had my regular ob appointment and was assured that everything looks great! Bp is perfect, fundal height is right on, and I havegained 14 lbs, which puts me on track to gain 25-35 lbs total, right on track. One of my ob's has my goal gain as 25 lbs while the oother says between 25 and 35 is fine. (I lost some weight in the first tri due to severe morning sickness so all of my gain has been sincee the second trimester. ) Well, today, I had my high risk ultrasound to check on a potential head size abnormality. They discovered that the head size looks fine, but the baby is very small overall, with a particularly small stomach. The perinatologist told me that more than likely, the baby is just petite due to genetics. In fact, he is following the exact same growth pattern that London did. However, just in xase, he wants me to sstop all non-essential excercise and increase my protein so that everything is directed to the baby.
Then, the assistant came in (also a dr, but not a perinatologist) to take some additional measurements. She immediately asked about my diet. She also said to increase protein, decrease exertion, but not to increase fats. The problem was just her tone made me feel like it is my fault the baby is not growing enough.

The perinatologist came back in, assured me that my weight gain is fine and that the baby will just be petite like me. Still though, I can't help but worry. I am really confused about whether or not his growth is acceptable, if there is a bigger problem this could signal, and if this is my fault. Also, I'm confused about the fact that my weight gain and calorie intake is supposedly fine, but I am supposed to decrease exertion and increase my protein. It's not like I eat a bunch of empty calories. I eat a pretty healthy diet. I am just so confused. My next appointment isn't for another month.

Sorry for venting. I am just worried about my baby and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I'm sure it will just end up that I have a small baby, I just hope he is big enough.
May 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Kristin, you are a beatiful and thin woman. I remember your preggo shots with London and couldn't help feel a bit jealous of how tiny you were while I felt like a glutton. I imagine that that tech is judging a book by the cover, thinking you are putting appearance before the health of the baby and that affected her tone, rather than understanding that everyone carries pregnancy differently and judging you by the 'cover' is a huge mistake. I think you should listen to the DR and not give the scornful subordinate a second thought. You are not starving your baby, dieting or exercising into harms way.

As for your diet and growth concerns you can only do what you can - I would consider supplementing with protein shakes, trail mix, nuts and add 1-3 servings of egg/meat/fish or whatever you like each week.

Why did you have a high risk US in the first place?

And it's a boy?? Really??

May 8th, 2013, 04:11 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't exactly know what it all means but if you are eating a healthy balanced diet and not overdoing exercise I would say take it with a grain of salt, if you are petite it would go without saying that your child has the genetic predisposition to be petite as well. I gained less than 25 lbs with both of my pregnancies, I am not a very big girl myself, my kids both weighed in at healthy weights when they were born....I am diabetic and was when preggo (gestational at the time) so I ate a lot nuts, cheese and low carb protein type shakes to keep calories up and sugar down. Hugs, it's never good when someone makes you feel crappy but I am with Cyndee, listen to your dr and ignore the negative!
May 8th, 2013, 09:07 PM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cyndee said exactly what I was thinking. And if London was growing the same way I think you have nothing to worry about. As long as you are on track and gaining weight, eating healthy, and not overdoing exercise I am sure everything will be fine. You know your body the best out of anyone, not someone that just met you. ((HUGS))

Congrats on the boy!!

May 8th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you girls! I knew you would say just the right things to make me feel better. I went to babies r us afterwards and I am feeling more optimistic. I know that I am doing my best so I will just take the doctors orders to increase my protein intake and stop exercising. I will do everything I can to help my baby gain weight, but I also know he will be ok even if he is small.

Cyndee, I am seeing the high risk perinatologist because of London being born slightly preterm (36 weeks.) I think mostly they are just being cautious. Also, at my last ultrasound, they thought there may have been an abnormality with his head growth, but that issue has resolved.

Yes, it's a boy! I am so happy!
May 10th, 2013, 07:45 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
At my 28 week appointment this time, I had only gained 11 pounds but fundal height was on target. It was suggested I try to eat a little more but my midwife said I could continue running. It seems like you are being monitored well, so I would stick with what the perinatologist suggests.
May 11th, 2013, 08:50 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I would just try and be honest with yourself, if I remember correctly you had a hard time with allowing the weight gain to happen with London and so you are the best judge of whether or not you're eating "enough" this time around. You are thin, but how much of that is lifestyle versus genetics? You're the best judge of that.

I have always been one to just follow my body when pregnant and whatever happens as a result of that, so be it. If you feel like you are in tune with your body and are taking good care of it, then I would not worry.
May 14th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I agree maybe just add some proteins shakes, I am sure everything will be great and baby is just small like you ((hugs))

I always have tiny babies and measure small because of the HG but my babies are all super tall and skinny like there dad so we try not to worry!
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

May 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel soooo much better! I talked to my regular ob and she let me see the actual measurements. They sre nowhere near as scary as what the perinatologist had led me to believe. Baby is measuringin the 30th percentile, which is small, but not scary small. I have increased my protein intake, but I am not stressing about it. I know that I am taking care of myself and listening to my body. We will be checking on baby's growth again at 35 weeks and I will just continue to do the best I can until then.
Kristen, I do remember it being hard last time but I haven't felt that way at all this time. Pregnancy has really made me focus on being as healyhy as humanly possible, and I'm definitely not limiting my calories. Lol This time, I'm also actually loving the body changes that come with being pregnant. This time, my belly is much more obvious than last time so I think it is easier to feel pregnant and not just big. I love my baby belly! I don't have a scale at home so my only weigh ins are at the doctor who says I am doing great.
I am just making sure to increase my protein, cut out my previously minimal exercise, and I am choosing a hospital with a great nicu in case he does come early. I think we should be fine if I make it to 40 weeks. His size could become an issue if he arrives early.
May 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Sounds perfect! When is he due again? Have you picked a name?
May 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
July 30th! We have a couple ideas for names but nothing definite. I like Logan Michael, dh likes Michael kenneth (our dad's names).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search