Tying Shoes

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Julka
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there some secret to teaching this? I have failed miserably so far. Beth thankfully taught herself when she was five. Matthew I have been TRYING to teach since he was five, and he can't do. He's now seven. I really have tried....I show him how, but his bow is too big and just falls apart. He gets so frustrated. I took Miss Carrie to kindergarten orientation yesterday, and the teachers said they'd really like us to work on tying shoes over the summer before the kids start. And I was thinking "Yeah right...I can't even get my first grader on board."
May 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Julka
Why do they care what kind of shoes the kids wear? I would just buy velcroe ones and call it a day. Yeah, my 6.5 or 5 year old don't know either, but I haven't bothered teaching them yet b/c they don't even own shoes with laces.

Melissa & Doug have this that's supposed to help. We actually used to have this (when the girls were babies - wrong timing whoever got it for us!), not sure what happened to it.

Amazon.com: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wood Lacing Sneaker: Toys & Games
clouise likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree; there is no reason to force them into learning if they aren't ready. Just buy them velcro shoes. My 7yo doesn't know how to tie shoes. He is still in velcro. I was thinking we might tackle laces on the next pair. But there is no way Reid is ready to learn!

And I don't think there's a secret to teaching it either. It's just readiness and lots of practice. A toy like what Julia suggested helped one of my older boys learn and practice.
clouise likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They don't care, other than they're not allowed to wear flip flops. I think they just don't want a class of twenty kids with their laces in knots everyday.

I'm glad to hear Matt is not the only one....maybe next year.
Julka likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Ellie has asked but we really haven't pushed it. Most of her and Bella's shoes are slip-ons or velcro. I figure when the time is right it will happen.
May 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran
Loop it, swoop it and pull is the technique we teach Hugo but he has problems getting it started and pulling the first string under the X shape. He has a lot of cowboy boots (won't be wearing to K, but one reason he doesn't practice much) and he has slip-ons and velcro styles for tennis shoes right now. We will keep working when he gets another pair of lace-ups.
May 20th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mia learned in pre-k when she was still four from another student. She had been asking to learn, but we were failing with the bunny around and under technique. She learned with two loops. She does now wrap around one loop.

Addy has not shown any interest in learning yet. I have not pushed it, but I did buy shoes with laces so she can practice when she is ready.

Last edited by 2xPink; May 20th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search