Helping themselves

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Not sure how or when this started but Ellie thinks she can help herself to just about anything.
I don't let my girls eat, play, go or do whatever they want. We have rules and we have boundries.
If they want to have a snack, they need to ask. If they want to watch a movie, go outside, pull out toys from the closet, they need to ask.

I swear this kid thinks she doesn't have to ask anymore. Of course, I have told her differently.
Have you seen the same thing?
May 31st, 2013, 04:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With Carrie I have noticed that she wants to be very independent lately. I think it started when we went to kindergarten orientation. Now that she is old enough for school she thinks she is big stuff. For her it's mostly been positive, but I feel like she says "I can do it myself" fifty times a day.
May 31st, 2013, 05:03 AM
Julka
Veronika is okay, she does ask for permission with just about everything. Snacks, movies, even if she can play with a bath toy outside of bath, stuff like that.. So, we've been okay here, I think. =)
May 31st, 2013, 05:05 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ Ditto to Claire. Leah wants to do everything herself, and tells us so, though it's mostly a positive thing - wanting to pick out her clothes and get dressed on her own, brushing her teeth with no help, buckling her seat belt. She has free reign over her toys, but still asks when it comes to snacks, going outside, etc. Sounds like Ellie may be exerting her independence in that way instead.

May 31st, 2013, 08:15 AM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
I do love seeing her become more independent. In many ways it is so helpful and on the positive side as well.
I guess I was so surprised because most of their toys are out for them to play with anytime they want. There are certain ones we have put away. Like Play Do, paints and markers and some games and puzzles. Mainly because they are messy or just have a ton of pieces. Those are the ones she just helps herself to.

I think she has responded well to our talks about boundaries. I first just told her that she needed to ask. Now I've come to realize explaining why she needs to ask has helped.

So, she has a
May 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not exactly the same, but Reid often thinks he has the same freedoms as his oldest brothers, which he doesn't. There's a big difference between 5 and 11 and while I like to see him want to be one of the guys, he can't do everything his 11yo brother can! So yes, boundaries. Explaining why is always important.
May 31st, 2013, 09:58 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ethan asks before he does just about anything. He asks if he can have a snack, drink, watch tv, play with certain toys or watch a movie. He insists on opening his own snacks, drinks and loading a movie in the DVD player. I also hear "I can do it all by myself" 1000 times a day. I love the independence.

June 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Addy still asks for permission, but she also wants to dress herself and open things, etc.
June 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran
See, I am the opposite. Maybe it's because I have a baby and have had a rough time with pregnancy & postpartum but I want the boys to help themselves. Our house is very child-friendly and I can't think of much that's off limits except adult DVDs (those rated PG+ which are on another shelf), which they haven't cared about and they all have a parent lock on the DVD player anyway.

Food, etc. is within their reach and we're fine with them getting toys out as long as they clean them up at the end of the day. We don't have anything too messy for crafts and they know they lose Play-doh if it goes out of the kitchen. It's kind of like the Montessori method where things are accessible to encourage independence. If I had to get everything for them I would go crazy not to mention with breastfeeding and mastitis, I just can't.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search