Emotional kindergartener?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ethansmom0408

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2013, 04:03 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is Ethan's second week of school. Every morning this week he has woken up on his own at 6:30 crying or it doesn't take much to get him crying. He's so emotional but only in the morning. He's fine after school and before bed. I thought he was coming down with something but its been everyday and he's not sick. He also had a nightmare the other night and ended up sleeping with us. I'm just wondering if its because of the new routine of school and that he's a bit overwhelmed. Is anyone else dealing with something similar?

September 6th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Julka
Veronika, in general, has been an emotional roller-coaster. But it's been going on all summer & I thought maybe once school starts it will get better (it's her second year in this school, so not an entirely new experience), but it's been the same thing. Example: this morning she started crying because her straw was red and not some other color. Then she cried for another reason. Last night she came out of her bedroom because of a 'nightmare' and then we heard her screaming in bed.

I do feel that once she returns from school & naps, she's slightly better till bedtime, but usually she cries about something irrational at least once.

Not sure if it's the school or the age, really. Because for us it kinda started over the summer.
September 6th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Hmmm, good thought. I just thought that maybe it was the new routine. Well I hope they both grow out of it soon. I feel like he's PMS'ing or something 😳
SheilaRN likes this.

September 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't be surprised if he's just overwhelmed with the new routine. Cooper has been edgy since starting school, I think mostly because he's exhausted at the end of the day.

A former kindergarten teacher told us that the kids tend to run on pure adrenaline the first week or two and then they turn into little wrecks as reality (and tiredness) set in.

I know in our house I want to ask Cooper a million questions when he gets home to find out what he did at school. I'm trying to curb some of my questions and enthusiasm so I don't overwhelm him even more.

Have you asked his teachers how he is during school?

Hugs momma, transitions can be difficult for everyone!
September 7th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I know that when we went to Open House the other night his teacher made it a point to tell me how sweet and kind Ethan is. She also told all of the parents that the kids might be bouncing off the walls when they get home and that's normal behavior. That's not our case at all. He comes home and tells me some fun stuff about his day and has a snack. After dinner he seems to get really tired and just lays around. The mornings are when he's really emotional. I hope as school progresses, he gets used to his routine and isn't so emotional.

September 7th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Julka
Veronika was screaming at night again, "I don't wanna go to school!", although she has NEVER once said that during the day, nor has she cried & protested going to school and returned home happy. It's weird. Maybe some 5-year old type stress.
September 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kate has had a very tough adjustment to school. It comes out in defiant behavior or making up stories to the teacher. I have already had a phone call home. I explained to the teacher that Kate is extremely creative and will come up with some interesting excuses for why she can't do the work. I started to make small adjustments in her schedule and paying close attention to her behavior. The new schedule is walk in the door, eat a snack, and immediately start her homework. (if I let her play first she is too exhausted and whiny to finish homework) Then she can play or do whatever she wishes. She is in the tub by 6:15 or 6:30. I read her books at 7pm and she is down about 7:15 or 7:30. I found out that the 8pm bedtime was too late. Now if I get her in bed earlier her behavior the next day at school is excellent. She still has the occasional nightmare though. They put WAY WAY WAY too much pressure on them at such a young age. I hate the school system these days. I loathe it.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

September 10th, 2013, 06:00 AM
I was thinking the other day that they should only have kindergarten 4 full days and then 5 days when they start first grade. Let them get used to full time school gradually. He's been okay so far this week. He's had trouble getting up but no crying and being overly emotional. Maybe the third week of school is the charm. I hope everyone adjusts soon!

September 10th, 2013, 06:28 AM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kate does better with the full time schedule. She truly requires regiment in life. When she is just home without the structure for days on end she is a mess. I think she gets bored. In Florida they barely have the time to get the work done that is required of them in the five day schedule plus they start school a full month earlier than all other states. It is so frustrating to see how much homework she has and the pressure that is being put on a five year old. It is causing tons of anxiety for her, and I just want to cry most days. I don't want to ruin my daughter simply because the state of Florida has a sick obsession with the FCAT test. I am applying to every out of state job I can. I am lucky she has a wonderful teacher. I am extremely grateful for her but after talking to the teacher it is clear that her hands are tied. She HAS to force this stuff down their throats.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

September 10th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Julka
Is your kindergarten full-day?

Veronika's only 8:30-11:05 (she leaves at 8am, comes home at 11:30). It's M-F but she's there for so little when you think about it. Her school is switching both junior & senior kindergarten to full-day next year, though. She still comes home & naps everyday, so I dunno how she would have done in a 8:30-3:30pm type schedule.

She did attend summer camp that was 9-4 and did OK, though.
September 10th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Yes He gets on the bus at 8:36 and gets dropped off at 3:52. It's a very long day for both of us.

September 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmom0408 View Post
Yes He gets on the bus at 8:36 and gets dropped off at 3:52. It's a very long day for both of us.
Sebastian will only be 3y 9m when he starts this type of schedule in two years (leave at 8am, return at 4pm), I'm really worried about it!! Our cut-off is Dec 31st and his birthday is early December so he'll be the baby in the class. I guess I'll worry about it when the time comes.
September 11th, 2013, 05:06 AM
That's really young. They don't have half day junior kindergarten? Preschool here is the equivalent of junior kindergarten and its only 1/2 day for 3 days a week. Ethan struggled horribly in the beginning. He didn't want me to leave him. It was horrible. It took a good 3 months before we were in a good routine where he actually wanted to go to school. He was 4 when he started.

September 11th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmom0408 View Post
That's really young. They don't have half day junior kindergarten? Preschool here is the equivalent of junior kindergarten and its only 1/2 day for 3 days a week. Ethan struggled horribly in the beginning. He didn't want me to leave him. It was horrible. It took a good 3 months before we were in a good routine where he actually wanted to go to school. He was 4 when he started.
It's 1/2 day right now (both JK & SK), but they are switching to full-day next year.. as are most schools around here, are all gradually switching to full-day JK & SK. Their little cousins' school already switched a while back and the kids are doing ok, but I dunno. It does feel like it's too young for them to be there for so long. Oh, well.

On the other hand, if all 3 are gone from 8-4 everyday, I can look into getting a job..
September 11th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Malakai has been moody and grouchy after school. He likes school but is exhausted . He seems to be doing much better this week so far. Hope everything starts getting easier for everyone as the time goes on.
September 11th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a long day for a little guy...maybe he is just tired. Carrie's doing okay, but I can tell she is tired too. I wish kindergarten was still half-day, but with so many working moms, and with so much required of the kids in school, I guess it just doesn't work out that well. We've just been trying to keep things low key at the house. I didn't put the kids in sports this fall, other than a Saturday morning gymnastics class. I want to make sure Carrie is getting some down time and is in bed on time.
September 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad he is doing better. I would guess he was tired. Addy had one tough day, but she barely ate that day.
September 11th, 2013, 04:28 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Ellie has done quite well so far. Things (change of environment, schedule..) don't normally bother her. Though I can honestly say I have a feeling this may be an issue with Bella.
She is so much more emotional. The smallest change or anything unfamiliar really upsets her. She's a total wreck at times. I think she has had a harder time adjusting to Ellie being gone from daycare than Ellie has.

One option that my Mom (she has custody of my nephew) decided was to hold my nephew back a year. My brother also did the same thing with both of his boys. All three boys started kindergarten at 6. So far it seems like it was the perfect fit for them. I was a bit opposed to the idea but the boys are much different than Ellie. That extra year seem to have given them all a bit more maturity and self confidence.
October 20th, 2013, 04:18 PM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Keller has done really well also so far - but I have to think that at least part of that is the half-day schedule. I have MORE time alone with him than I ever have. Isla is in preschool 3 full days/week so those days Keller and I share our afternoons and he likes getting his homework done before she's home to harass him.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search