School calls and my heart skips a beat

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Julka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Every time the school calls, I nearly have a panic attack. Addy has food allergies, which means I am nervous for her safety. Well, today for the second time this year, I let my girls buy a school lunch. The first time, Addy wound up with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She is allergic to peanuts and the cafeteria lady did not believe her until the class assistant helped Addy explain and get a different meal. So today, we sent a note with lunch money and prepped Addy on what food to choose or ask for if she does not see it. So when my phone rang with the school number, I immediately got nervous. It turns out she fell off the monkey bars and had the wind knocked out of her. The nurse wanted me to know so we can watch her at home later, and she said the principal has decided the Kindergarten kids cannot play on the monkey bars until at least January now. She said there have been a lot of blisters and a few broken bones. Poor Addy! I hope the kids do not blame Addy for them not being able to play on the monkey bars now since it will come after her fall, even though it was a cumulative thing. Sigh. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope to hear that Addy got the right meal this time and that she is ok when she comes home!
October 3rd, 2013, 05:09 PM
Julka
I would honestly (in your shoes) just make their lunches at home all the time, just to avoid stressing each time you send the lunch money. Our school has a nut-free policy altogether and I always make sure to not send anything containing nuts. And I think it's silly how those sunbutter or soybutter (aka "fake" peanut butter) all come with stickers to show teachers it's NOT peanut butter - I refuse to buy those; I'd rather my kid spend the time eating lunch and not wasting time convincing teachers it's really, REALLY not peanut butter. I also just like knowing what my kids eat at school. Their school doesn't offer a hot lunch, but they offer a "snack program" which I don't bother with, because again, I liked knowing what they ate & how much they ate (judging by what they brought back), just a peace of mind for me.

As for the falling, I hear ya. Our school doesn't have a playground which I am thankful for in the sense that Veronika is a huge klutz.. she comes home with bloody knees or bruises or something nearly every week... & that's without a playground, ugh! But I'm sure the kids won't blame Addy for what happened, it's better for everyone's safety, it sounds like.
Coffee_Bean likes this.
October 3rd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Julia, I agree it is nice knowing what they eat. It was a special treat to let them buy lunch, and mostly it was Mia begging to buy and then Addy wanting to be like her big sis. The meal was a fruit plate with yogurt and a muffin top. I can send those things on my own, but we wanted them to have the experience. It just majorly backfired that first time. Even after they took the PB sandwich back, Addy got a chicken sandwich instead of the fruit and yogurt plate she wanted. So then she did not eat it either. She did get the right meal today.

I was so relieved that Addy also came home feeling fine. I am extra nervous about injuries since Mia broke her femur at two. That was such an awful recovery that I swear I have some form of PTSD making me more nervous about any of my babies getting hurt. Thankfully she did not get hurt badly from her fall!
October 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Julka
Ahhh, I hope she'll get the right meal from now on Ridiculous!! I am glad she's feeling fine from the fall, those things really are super scary. Veronika, she's not even a risk-taker, she doesn't climb anything, she just... doesn't pay attention!! lol. She'll trip over someone's feet, over a curb, or think it's funny to walk with her eyes closed & walk into a wall. I thought after age 4 she'll grow out of it, but nope, here we are at 5.5, still 100% klutz lol
October 5th, 2013, 11:08 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
That would scare me so badly. Even though Ellie doesn't have any food allergies, I'm petrified to get a call from school or daycare.
I've had a few random calls from daycare. Just seeing the #on my phone panics me.

You would think the lunch ladies would be more understanding. If a child told me they had an allergy to something, I wouldn't give them that food. Even if I believed them or not. All my friends who have children with food allergies have reinforced that they tell people they can't eat peanuts, strawberries, milk.... Hopefully, they can get it right from now on.
October 6th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Ive had many calls from Ady's school. First its bc the nurse wanted to know more about her seizures, and then it was to see how severe her allergy is to Peanuts, and then when she got sick recently, it was to tell me they cant administer her meds without a drs although her meds were in her name. Ugh!!

I send her lunch everyday along with her snack bc most of the stuff at school, she wont eat. Like Julia, I like knowing how much she ate and what was left over.

Glad to hear her fall wasn't bad.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
October 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran
I understand since H has life-threatening allergies and asthma... I have had 1 call so far but was glad that they seem to err on the side of caution with him. I hope everyone's school year will be incident-free!!
October 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They only serve the soy-butter here at her school, but thankfully I can send peanut butter with her in her packed lunch. Which is a good thing because that is a huge part of her diet. A call from the school would startle me too.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

October 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
Wow i cannot believe the the dinner lady did not believe Addy! that is so bad why would she have picked a sandwich and then lie she's allergic to peanuts. Poor girl.
I think i would make her a packed lunch also just for the peace of mind, how scary or you.

October 9th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad she is okay. It makes me so nervous when the nurse calls. She always starts with something like "this is not an emergency" so at least the anxiety is short lived.

I would be very upset about the pb issue. That is really not okay. The lunch ladies sounds like they need some additional education and training in dealing with food allergies. They are so so common now, and some kids could have had a reaction just from opening the sandwich. I'm glad you have taught Addy how to advocate for herself.
October 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I am glad that Addy speaks up about her allergies. She is my shy girl, and I am glad she gets over her shyness when it comes to asking about food with strangers. My girls had their fall break last week, which meant I spent the last two nights trying not to stress about Addy being okay as I readjust to sending her to school again. It is crazy because they were only off one week, but I am nervous all over again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search