Teachers

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2013, 04:49 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you feel about your child's teacher? I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from Ethan's teacher. The other kindergarten teachers seem so much nicer. I'm actually considering homeschooling next year. I just know that once you homeschool, there's no going back. You can go back but it's difficult. There's also the socialization that goes along with it. Ugh, why is parenting so difficult?

November 13th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Julka
I haven't "met" her except on the first day of school. Our parent/teacher meeting is this Friday so I am going to meet her then. However, I haven't had issues.

Here's the thing: Over the last 3 years, two parents whose kids were at her class told me she's not the greatest teacher. They said papers don't come home, she doesn't mark any work, etc. But this isn't at all what I've seen. Veronika has been bringing all the important things home, EVERY page of homework she did got marked and she got a sticker at the top of the page. Veronika really likes her! So I after what I was told, that's been a relief.

Homeschooling is completely not my thing though. I wouldn't homeschool just because I don't like a teacher. Growing up, I've had teachers I absolutely hated and also those who'll always have a special place in my heart. It's all part of going through life. Learning experience. Next year he might have a teacher you'll absolutely love.

And I don't think there "no going back" once you homeschool. I know someone who was homeschooling her 4 kids & recently switched to public school (her kids are all kindergarten through middle-school age).
November 13th, 2013, 10:08 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We talked a bit this morning and you know we enjoy homeschooling and are currently happy with our decision to do so. But I don't believe it's for every family. For us, it was the one option that excited all of us, that I felt called to do in a sense.

I would disagree with the idea that you can't go back to public school. A lot of that depends on the individual student and on the family's needs at any particular time. We met a homechooling family over a year ago that we're now good friends with. Because the mom is now going back to school herself, she & her DH chose to put their two older children back in public school for the time being. One is doing perfectly fine and the other is struggling a bit, so they may choose to homeschool her again, they're weighing their options currently. I just think there's a lot of gray area, depending on the student, the school, etc that it's not necessarily difficult for every homeschooler to return any more than a kid who moves to a new area has to adjust to a new school, ya know?

I truly don't believe socialization is the big worry that so many believe it is either. As a homeschooler, socialization just happens in a variety of settings with a variety of people as opposed to one classroom of same-aged kids everyday. Leah has friends that are aged 3 to 10. She's not isolated because we make an effort to be involved in extracurriculars, local groups, etc. We've made some great friends and found a really solid community in our area. It's all what you make it.

Still, all that said, I wouldn't homeschool because of one teacher, especially if you wouldn't begin until after the current school year is finished anyway. The next teacher could be amazing. But if you truly feel called to homeschool, like it's something you're passionate about and sincerely want to do, then by all means give it a go. You've got my support either way!

November 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not get warm, fuzzy feelings from either of my girls' teachers. They like them though. I agree that it is tough being a parent and wanting what is best for our children. I am not considering homeschooling, but I am looking into other school choices and trying to decide what works for us.
November 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM
The trouble is that Ethan loves school and every aspect of school. He loves the bus too. I'm so torn right now. I just wish that he had one of the other teachers that everyone likes. He seems to like his teacher. I have time to think about it. I'm just weighing the pros and cons. I just want what's best for him.

November 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, absolutely. You're a good mom for putting so much thought into it and wanting to make the best choice. Like we said this morning, it's hard to know if some of the decisions you make as a parent are going to end up being the right ones. Sounds like Ethan is doing well and enjoying school though, which is good!

November 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I just wish mommy was enjoying school and his teacher

November 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Julka
Is the teacher the only problem you have w/ the school or are there other issues?
November 13th, 2013, 04:18 PM
It's the teacher and the politics of public school in general. They put him in certain classes and not explain to me why. When I question the teacher, she blows me off. I plan to bring my issues up at our conference on the 25th. I feel like I'm not in the loop as to how/what/why my son is being educated. There is lack of communication from the teacher. I have a couple of friends who love their kindergarteners teacher. She communicates with them and they feel like they're in the loop. When I tell them my situation, they can't understand what the problem is. I've also been told to not contact the principal because they always have the teachers back. So, politics, blah!

November 15th, 2013, 07:56 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Many of my friends were home schooled off and on. Each of them transitioned back to public school with few or minimal issues.
His teacher, thankfully, is only for 1 year. Could you request a different class.
What about other schools. Are their any Charter or Community Schools in the area. Maybe check them out.
November 16th, 2013, 04:40 AM
There is a Charter School but you have to be in a lottery to get picked. There are a couple of private schools but can't afford the 15k a year. We have until the end of the year to decide what to do. I have a friend who has homeschooled her 2 kids for 6 years. They just started at private school with only a few issues.

November 18th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have homeschooled my kids off and on and they have done just fine. Really the only hard part has been for me, because I so thoroughly enjoyed the freedom we had homeschooling. Academically they've stayed at the top of their classes, and they've been able make new friends at each new school too.

We've been lucky in the teacher department this year. Carrie's teacher is wonderful. Of the other three kids, there is one teacher I do not care for, but even then she is only a teacher of one certain class. There is no way to move to a different teacher because it is a small school and she is the only one teaching this grade and subject. We just have to wait it out.
November 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you don't like Ethan's teacher... but I'm happy he loves school.

Do waht you think is best for your family!
November 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
That is sucky, but if the meeting doesn't go well with the teacher I would bring it up to the principle, regardless of politics, this is Ethan's education.

It is also hard because he likes the teacher, and to be honest there were years we all had good and bad teachers. I think as long as he is progressing and loving it then do what you can to change the situation with the teacher.
November 21st, 2013, 04:54 AM
We had another issue yesterday where Ethan got off of the bus upset because his teacher left him out of a pumpkin pie party because he wasn't listening. I emailed his teacher about it and I'm waiting for a response. 5 year olds aren't going to sit still and listen for 6 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week. Ethan is a very good kid and I don't like seeing him upset after school. I can't wait to hear back from her.

November 21st, 2013, 05:22 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmom0408 View Post
We had another issue yesterday where Ethan got off of the bus upset because his teacher left him out of a pumpkin pie party because he wasn't listening. I emailed his teacher about it and I'm waiting for a response. 5 year olds aren't going to sit still and listen for 6 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week. Ethan is a very good kid and I don't like seeing him upset after school. I can't wait to hear back from her.
I know that as moms we have a natural instinct to defend our kids & take their side, but I don't see anything wrong with this situation. In our school, when kids don't listen, they don't get to participate in fun things, or they get to miss recess. It's consequences. Just like at home - if Ethan were misbehaving, you would probably put him in timeout or not allow him to watch a favorite cartoon, teachers too have to take actions. Sometimes we have to take a step back and see the situation from the teacher's perspective.
November 21st, 2013, 07:29 PM
I know what you're saying Julia but I hate seeing him upset. We talked about it this morning and he understands that if he doesn't listen to his teacher there will be consequences. I told him that he has to listen to her just like he listens to mommy. I just hate seeing him upset when he gets off of the bus. It's like he was holding in the tears until he saw me.

November 22nd, 2013, 04:09 AM
Julka
Oh yeah, I also hate seeing them upset over something that happened at school. I am glad you talked to him - they're all great kids, sometimes they just need a little reminder. Hopefully he won't miss anymore fun stuff like that.
December 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry this teacher is making you feel this way. I understand. I think Addisons teacher is a good teacher. Addison is happy and doing great. But I want more. I want a personal weekly update, and more details. But then I remind myself its not like pre-k and class size is larger, and there is more in general.

You know what is best for you and your family, if homeschool is what you feel is best, then do it!!!!! It may make you feel better too. Hugs and good luck!
December 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Did you have your conference yet?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search