Rh Negative, anyone?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Are you Rh Negative?
Yes 8 72.73%
No 3 27.27%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone here Rh Negative?

I am, and am a little confused. I get what it means to be Rh Negative; when the mother has Rh Negative blood and the baby has Rh Positive blood and it mixes it causes antibodies in the mother's body to attack the baby. What I don't understand is how the baby's blood mixes with the mother's blood.

When I was about 5 weeks along the placenta detached from the wall a little bit and caused bleeding and cramping. I thought for sure I had miscarried, and so did the nurses I talked to. Long story short, I found out I was still pregnant and what had happened and a few weeks later another u/s revealed it had healed a lot. Not completely, but a lot. Anyways, after doing blood work at 8 wks they apparently saw that my blood has antibodies in it and I need to go get a Rhogam shot. Normally you don't need one until 28 wks and after birth. So, this may be pregnancy 101 and I should know it by now (this IS my 4th pregnancy), but suddenly I'm confused at how the baby's blood mixes with mine. When I bled when the placenta detached I thought it was my blood, not the baby's.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

March 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to corey92902
I am RH-. When the placenta detatched it was baby's blood that went into your uterus. The filter for the 2 different blood types is at the conection of the placenta and the wall of the uterus where is attaches. The placenta is made up of the same DNA as the baby since it developes from part of the cells when dividing right after conception. I had to get a Rhogam shot right after getting my cerclage put in during my last pregnancy just as a safty measure. I would get it to minimize how many more anti-bodies that your body will make. If not it might end up killing the baby.
28 year old Military wife and Proud mommy of 5 with #6 on the way!!!

March 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so the filter on the placenta keeps baby's blood from mixing with mother's blood the entire pregnancy, right? That's why I dont' need a shot at the beginning of the pregnancy?

Thanks for answering. That helped a lot! I planned on getting the shot anyways, but I wanted to understand what all was going on too. I was trying to explain it to my mother, but I got confused telling her, so that's when I knew I needed to get more info. lol I blame pregnancy brain!

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

March 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to corey92902
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicyur View Post
Ok, so the filter on the placenta keeps baby's blood from mixing with mother's blood the entire pregnancy, right? That's why I dont' need a shot at the beginning of the pregnancy?

Thanks for answering. That helped a lot! I planned on getting the shot anyways, but I wanted to understand what all was going on too. I was trying to explain it to my mother, but I got confused telling her, so that's when I knew I needed to get more info. lol I blame pregnancy brain!

Right the wall of the uterus and the placenta is where the blood gets filtered. What it does is that it takes the waste from baby's blood and transfers it to yours for your body to dispose of. Then it also transfers oxygen from your blood and puts it in baby's blood. The 2 different bloods never mix. That's why since you have had bleeding your body started making antibodies. That's also why I recommend getting the shot. Since the blood lining in the uterus is your blood and it was baby's blood that was floating around in there, some of it got absorbed through the uterian lining causing your body's reaction.

I really hope that explained a little better.
28 year old Military wife and Proud mommy of 5 with #6 on the way!!!

March 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
im not sure about the blood mixing, BUT I am RH-.

They do your blood typing right away after you find out your are pg, and at least for me I have HUGE orange stickers in my chart saying RH-. I was told at any time I have bleeding or spotting that they want me in ASAP to give me a shot. Rather be safe than sorry.

And then of course I get the on at 28 weeks too.

I never really looked into or asked how the blood could mix, I just took it as if I ever had any sort of bleeding call, get the shot, and that was it. My first 2 kids were A- blood type like me so I didnt need the shot after birth with them, but the next 2 I did. Tad is O- so I didn't get it with him and I can't remember bella.

March 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
It isn't a problem with your first baby if they are rh+, it's babies after that that could be effected. When the baby is born and the placenta detaches there is a CHANCE that there could be a mixture of blood. If so this is when antibodies will form. Then in future pregnancies your body will see that baby as a possible foreign object if by chance the blood mixes, possibly during a accident or during birth. I will look for the link I read a while back that gave a WHOLE bunch of information on this subject.

I am Rh- and I have gotten the shot at 28weeks with Derrick, within 72 hours after Derrick's birth, after my 2 miscarriages, as well as at 28weeks with Xavier and 72 hours after his birth...

Here are come links...
Mayo Clinic

Dr. Spock

American Pregnancy Organization
March 11th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Double post

Last edited by TulipDawn; March 11th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
March 11th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Triple Post

Last edited by TulipDawn; March 11th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
March 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Quadruple Post

Last edited by TulipDawn; March 11th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
March 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
5th post....I don't know what comes after quadruple...

Last edited by TulipDawn; March 11th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
March 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
6th post

Last edited by TulipDawn; March 11th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
March 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yikes...7th...i think this is it...

Last edited by TulipDawn; March 11th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search