Group B Strep.. anyone else?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Again I was diagnosed with group B strep. This time around they put me on way stronger antibiotics (250mg 4x daily of penicillin). I had it with my daughter, so I am not too concerned about it, plus I get an IV at delivery which makes me happy (im a weirdo who loves IV's/needles) Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, this early on in your pregnancy.
March 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, this time and last time they diagnosed me early. The two times before I was diagnosed with the test they do at 36ish weeks (lovely little butt swab) and all the times before I was never even tested. I am sure I had to have had it then since I have had it four times after. I had antibiotics this time to and a lovely yeast infection to go with it. Like you, I'll still get an IV at delivery. It's a c/s so I'll have one anyway.

March 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am glad I am not alone! It seems everytime I mention it to someone they say "WOW, You were tested THIS early?!" Umm yea. Then I feel like the freak because no one else I know has ever had it!

Ah yes, the yeast infections. Never had one til my first pregnancy. Here we go again. Joy.
March 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am glad I am not alone! It seems everytime I mention it to someone they say "WOW, You were tested THIS early?!" Umm yea. Then I feel like the freak because no one else I know has ever had it!

Ah yes, the yeast infections. Never had one til my first pregnancy. Here we go again. Joy.
March 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have it. But why did they test you so early??

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I have it I was tested with KJ but never made it to have the test with Owen but they just fill me full of antibiotics during delivery and don't worry I'm one of those people too. They start me on IV as soon as I'm there and I ask for my epidural as soon as I can haha. So, I'm right there with you!

Thanks to cavewoman

March 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I have it I was tested with KJ but never made it to have the test with Owen but they just fill me full of antibiotics during delivery and don't worry I'm one of those people too. They start me on IV as soon as I'm there and I ask for my epidural as soon as I can haha. So, I'm right there with you!

Thanks to cavewoman

March 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I haven't had any testing yet because my appointment isn't until the 18th. Last time I wasn't tested until about 36 weeks. I'm going to go to a different Dr this time so I'm not sure what they'll do.

March 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breana's Mommy View Post
I don't have it. But why did they test you so early??
Ya know, my husband was in the Army when I was pregnant with the first baby. So I never really got an answer as to why i was tested so early. When I was in my 3rd trimester he was medically retired so I had to switch dr's. I am going back to the same dr who delivered my daughter and since she has all my records she tested me again for it right away. I think this is a good question for me to bring up at my appt......
March 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
wow. I have never heard of being tested for it till you are like 36 weeks long.

My doc explained to me that just cuz you are + one time doesn't mean you will be the next. I was + with #5 but not with #6.

They don't treat for it other than iv antibiotics during labor, you are suppose to have it for so long before you deliver.

BUT I was also told by my doc, that you can be + one week for it - the next. So testing to early really doesn't do anything.

I dont get why they woudl test so soon and treat for it now since it could very well still come up the end of the pg?

I hate taking meds though LOL

March 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to corey92902
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbears View Post
wow. I have never heard of being tested for it till you are like 36 weeks long.

My doc explained to me that just cuz you are + one time doesn't mean you will be the next. I was + with #5 but not with #6.

They don't treat for it other than iv antibiotics during labor, you are suppose to have it for so long before you deliver.

BUT I was also told by my doc, that you can be + one week for it - the next. So testing to early really doesn't do anything.

I dont get why they woudl test so soon and treat for it now since it could very well still come up the end of the pg?

I hate taking meds though LOL

I agree there is no point in even treating it this early. It comes and goes throughout the entire pregnancy. I was positive with #2 and then tested twice with #3 both were negitive. I went into PTL with #3 twice before I had her. #'s 4&5 I only made it to 29wk so I never got tested with them.
28 year old Military wife and Proud mommy of 5 with #6 on the way!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search