I feel like I'm doing everything wrong...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Up until now, I have tried to eat healthy and keep up with all the right prenatal to-dos.

But this week, it has all gone down-hill. I've only taken my prenatal vitamins 2x because the thought of them makes me get sick - literally. The only time I'm not nauseas is when I have a big meal in my stomach so fruits, veggies and salads have gone out the window!

Last night, before a meeting I had McDonalds and today someone bought me Chick-Fil-A for lunch! And I've been drinking a little caffeine every day when in the beginning I would go days with none.

Normally, I wouldn't feel guilty - but since I'm pregnant, I do. Like I'm doing all the wrong things for my baby....

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM
CriscoNinja
My prenatal vits make me sick too... but i've found if I take it right before I go to bed, i don't get sick! As for caffeine I have one pop a day and just be extra sure to get in water/juice. Don't beat yourself up! If I didn't have that can of pop in the morning I wouldn't survive work! As for veggies/fruit at this point I have to eat what tastes good so I make sure I drink some V8 Splash (I love the strawberry/banana flavor) so at least i know I'm getting them in somehow...
March 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww. Have you talked to your doc about taking a different kind of prenatal? I know some ladies are just taking regular vitamins instead of the prenatal if you can't find something that agrees with you.

Don't worry, we all splurge sometimes! I know if I had Chick-Fil-A put in front of me I would not be able to turn it down.... haha. That sounds soooooo good actually. So does McDonalds. I suggest maybe keeping fruit or granola bars handy at home and work. Then you have something that is healthy you can grab for a snack, to make you feel better about the times you can't eat as healthy. On the other hand, I do know people who have lived off of Wendy's while pregnant, and have perfectly healthy babies ... haha... the baby just takes all the good stuff anyways.

March 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
RELAX!!!

I was going through the same thing nutrition-wise (ok I'm lying I still totally am). My doctor totally reassured me... at this stage your baby feeds off of your body not your food. Your food is for you to help recover nutrients so don't feel like the worst mother ever because you're eating crackers all day!

As for the prenatals... I'm not having a problem with mine but my doctor told me that there are some that are chewable and others that dissolve in your mouth if you have difficulty swallowing. Please check into these as the vitamins are important in the long run (don't worry about missing a few days already). Remember some women go for months without realizing they are pregnant and they weren't taking the supplements.

Sorry for the long post but this is really a big issue for me too and everything I learned in my appt helped so much. We have enough to obsess and worry over... eat what you feel like/ can and RELAX!

ps- she also told me about a mother who was anorexic, weighed 90lbs and delivered a 7.5lb baby healthy as can be in her clinic. Nature will take care of your baby- take care of yourself!
March 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
Don't feel bad. I don't take my prenatal vitamins. I can't swallow pills. I know I "should" but I don't. My doc didn't seem to really care. I do take a folic acid pill...it's smaller so I can get it down better.
March 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies - you guys always make me feel better!

I do have a folic acid pill that I took while TTC - and it is MUCH smaller with no after-taste. Perhaps I can take that on the days I just can't stomach the prenatal. I try to take them after dinner, but they still make me gag/dry-heave really bad as soon as I smell them.

Meg - I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way...

Overall, I'm very healthy and just need to trust my body!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can take the childrens vitamins, just take double the dose. That's what I do. But now, Target sells gummy chewables for ADULTS!! WOOHOO! I'm going to get some today.

Also, my Dr said as long as your drinking lots of water and fluids, then food at this point isn't really a big deal. If the thought of it makes you sick, don't eat. Just make sure you're getting plenty of fluid. Try small meals or snacks even.

And caffeine, perfectly fine in moderation. If I didn't have a glass of pop or a cup of tea, I'd be miserable all day with a migraine.

March 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Don't worry! Lots and lots of mommies go through that. Trying to eat well during pregnancy when you don't feel well is not easy. If the prenatals are bothering you try taking Flintstones vitamins or something for now.

March 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
*Hayley*
no worries, i feel like that somedays too when i eat things i shouldn't. everything in moderation, make sure you are walking and at the minimum get back to taking that folic acid pill daily if not the prenatals.
March 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
*Hayley*
no worries, i feel like that somedays too when i eat things i shouldn't. everything in moderation, make sure you are walking and at the minimum get back to taking that folic acid pill daily if not the prenatals.
March 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
slap*slap*slap*slap** !!!!! stoppit!!!!!!

a woman must never feel this way. there are women who cannot eat for the first 3 months who have very healthy babies. there are women who have birthed in frozen wartime tundras (my ancestors lol, starving in the cold winter war in finland) and they had very healthy babies. The baby takes what it needs from you, you might be surprised to learn there are some vitamins in the bun of the chic fil a sandwich etc etc. most bread is fortified, cereal is fortified etc. we always wanna do all we can do but when we come up short we must remember the womans body is a miraculous vessel that can overcome great adversities to knit together a perfectly healthy and thriving baby.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

March 12th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awe don't be so hard on yourself!
we all slip up like that from time to time. try talking to your doctor about another prenatal vitamin. with my first pregnancy i couldnt stomach 3 different vitamins, till finally my sister in law gave me some from where she worked and they worked fine for me. i wish i remembered the name, sorry. but there are sooo many out there you just need to find the right one for you. also i agree to take them at night before bed and they dont make you feel as sick.
March 13th, 2009, 03:56 AM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the same feelings. I only crave junk. I have been good with my prenatals but the smell of most foods make nauseous. I crave fried foods and starches and they seem to be the only think that when put in front of me I can still eat. I am trying to hard to eat well but it is hard when good foods make you nauseous. I feel like it will get easier once we all get past the m/s stage and it will be easier to do what is right. Try not to feel bad.. I am sure you are doing the best you can. I know of women who were extremely sick for all 3 months of early pregnancy and couldn't keep anything down at all and they had healthy babies too.
March 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Girl you are fine... try to not stress on it.

At this point so many have M/S so bad they can't eat anything forget vitamins.

(((HUGS)))

March 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am the same way I keep forgetting to take my prenatels and I have one soda a day but my doctor said it was fine just in moderation!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search