A little concerned

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Veteran
So when i went to the dr on tuesday, i found out i had a yeast infection. My dr prescribed diflucan, so thinking that she wouldn't have given me something that would be harmful, I took it. I was researching it today and i guess it's a Category C drug, which MAY cause harm to the fetus. I'm kind of disappointed that she didn't at least tell me this so that I could make my own decision regarding taking that or something else that is safer.

March 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure everything is okay, but I can understand your concern.

In the future, maybe you should ask the category of any prescribed meds so that you can make your own decision or see if there are any alternative options.

</div>
March 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
Category C is an iffy category, but I doubt she would give it to you if you couldn't take it for the baby.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I'd be ticked!! She should have atleast told you! I'm pretty sure you can take the monistat. I think other women have.

March 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Yeah I would have been mad as well. Everything is probably fine but she should have at least told you and given you another option.

Ok I just went and looked it up and it seems that Diflucan (according to the following site) has not been approved for use during pregnancy.

Quote:
How are yeast infections treated during pregnancy?

During pregnancy physicians recommend vaginal creams and suppositories only. The oral medication, Diflucan (a single-dose medication), has not been proven safe during pregnancy and lactation. If left untreated, yeast infections can pass to your baby's mouth during delivery. This is called "thrush" and is effectively treated with Nystatin.

It may take 10-14 days to find relief or completely clear up the infection while you are pregnant. After the infection has cleared up and any sores have healed, it may be helpful to use a starch-free drying powder, or Nystatin powder to prevent a recurring infection.
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...ctionpreg.html

March 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Super Mommy
An untreated yeast infection is worse than using the drug to get rid of it.
All yeast infection medication has the same ingredients it also depends during what time in pregnancy.. When I was pregnant with my son I had to take a round of diflucan in my third trimester and I was scared about the same thing and actually called the dr to ask if I should actually inject or just put around the outside... You have to take the yeast infection medication to get rid of it but she gave u the pill and not the cream? Cause their is a difference, the pill is not accepted as a pregnant med because its one big dose instead of smaller amounts for longer days....
March 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a bummer your doc didnt give you all the info! I'm sure everything is fine, but still you should have a choice.

March 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Super Mommy
My Dr. also prescribed something for a yeast infection for me that is harmful during pregnancy. I opted to not take it. The Monistat 7 day cream (only the 7 day because the others have a higher concentration ) (or store brand equivalent) is safe during pregnancy.
March 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have only used the creams when pg.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search