Mommies to be or BTDT Moms under 30--Genetic Testing

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
At my appointment my OB told me about genetic testing. I already knew about it with DS but when I was pregnant with him I was 20 so they didn't even offer it to me. She said now they offer the testing to everybody regardless of age. The first test is done at 11 weeks. It's a blood test and an ultrasound. It's detects chromosonal(sp?) defects. It's accuracy is only about 70%. The second test is done in the 2nd trimester and it's accuracy is 85%. The two test combined accuracy is around 90%. She told me that she encounters 3 types of women. Women who want to know because if something is wrong they will abort, women who want to know just so they won't be caught off guard, and women who say ignorance is bliss.

I'm not sure what I want to do. 98% of me is saying don't have it done because 1.) my risk is less than 1% 2.) if something was wrong I don't think I would have the heart to have an abortion anyway 3.) the test isn't 100%, 4.) What if something is wrong...is that going to kill the whole happiness of being pregnant and most importantly 5.) What God has for me...is for me. I can't change it. The other 2% is saying they have the technology and the science, insurance will pay for it...get it done. DF and I haven't really thought about it. I think he would want for me to get it done. If the test come back positive then they give you an amnio and/or the CVS test.

So ladies are you going to have any genetic testing done even if your risk is really low. If so, what's your reasoning? And if somethings wrong what are you prepared to do? I know this is kind of personal but we're all family here.
March 13th, 2009, 07:41 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I'll have it done. I had it done with my youngest as well.

March 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I opt to not get all of that stuff done. Those kinds of tests tend to have a high false positive rate that end up making moms panic for no reason.

There are no genetic abnormalities in either of our families so there isn't a very high chance of genetic problems.

Honestly, I think those tests are more so the companies who make them can make a big profit off of scaring moms.

The tests aren't always right either. Not only are there false positives I know someone who recently had false negatives. She had all of the testing done and was told everything with her son was fine. He was born with Down's Syndrome.

March 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
*Hayley*
for all five of your reasons, we will not be having it done. if something looks fishy at the 20 wk u/s...we will investigate further so as to prepare ourselves for any special needs. i'm a huge worry wart and if anything came back odd in the first u/s i wouldn't want to spend my entire pregnancy stressing
March 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will not be having the testing done either. I think that the incidence of false positives is just too high, and I'll find out eventually one way or another.
March 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the first trimester testing is not covered by most insurances (from what my doctor told me) and can cost upwards of 500 dollars, so for that reason and the reasons you listed I won't be having it done in the 1st trimester. Just seems pointless.

I think they do it regardless in the 2nd trimester, at least around here from what I remember of my last pregnancy

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 13th, 2009, 09:21 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not having it done. Mainly because I want my pregnancy to be as happy as possible. Its not like I could do anything about it in advance (I wouldn't abort), so it just seems like it would be something to cause worry. Plus I want the first moments with my baby to be the same no matter what the baby holds... I wouldn't want to be upset or something because I know something is not 100% normal. Plus they check for all that in the hospital, so I would find out soon enough anyways.

March 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Regular
I will not. Just something else to worry about unnecessairly.
March 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm having the first tri screen done on the 23rd. Last time we just did the quad screen, I didn't even know they did a first tri one.

It won't change anything for us, other than allow us to be prepared, HOWEVER, Dh's family has history. His brother has spina bifida and uncle had downs.
March 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I am having it done, because last time the baby had something wrong with his heart and we didn't know and there were so many possibilities that is could be. I actually go on Tuesday for it to be done. After the last time, I know I will never abort no matter what the circumstances, but I will like to know if there is something is wrong so I can prepare and prepare the boys. I want to know if there is something wrong, even though this time there is nothing wrong they want to make sure and if there is something wrong you have the choice for an amnio or cvs, I'm not sure if they will give you that before or after your quad screen. I guess we will find out.

I want to know if there is something wrong especially something wrong with the heart.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have any of them done in my last pregnancy and won't be having them done in this one. Like many on here have said the false positives are just a little too high in my opinion and why ruin your whole pregnancy with unnecessary worry. During my last pregnancy I was told I had a 2 vessel cord vs a normal 3 vessel cord. When I asked what that meant they told me it could mean Down Syndrome or possible defects of the genetalia. So, I had to go and get the highest level ultrasound that was available at the time to try and see the baby's face. The doctor's had me terrified so I spent the last 4 months of my pregnancy not knowing. When he was born I immediately looked him over and he was a perfect baby. I mentioned the possibility of the Down's and the doctor's response was "Oh...that was always very, very slim.". GEE THANKS!!!!!!

So, no we won't do testing. We'll check things out at the ultrasound and procede from there. If anything were to be wrong heaven forbid we'll deal with.
March 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
this was my 1st pregnancy I chose to have this screening, came back with the chances so low they just told me "perfect"

My reasoning is being prepared. I am young, 22, and have never done any testing, this time I will be doing anything and everything I can to make sure all is well in there.
Reason being my medication.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i wont because of the false positive chances as well. i didnt do it with my last pregnancy and i wont do it this time either.
like another lady posted it wouldn't make a difference for me anyhow because i wouldn't abort. yes, it would be good to be prepared but i would be too stressed the entire pregnancy if i knew something was wrong.
March 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Nope, not something I will be doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search