co-sleeping???

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Everyone is asking me if we plan on co-sleeping and giving me their opinions... but I totally don't know what co-sleeping means! I'm too embarrassed to admit that to my co-workers in case they already label me a bad mother

We plan on using a bassinet for the first few months in our room- does that qualify as co-sleeping?

Help a clueless first-timer!
March 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Co-sleeping is in bed with you. It's a debatable topic, but just do what you want and forget all the unsolicited advice.

March 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Ditto. Its your choice not theirs. A lot of people argue that you can kill your baby by sleeping with them. I did co-sleep with dd while I nursed her but that was only because I was so tired and it was just easier to breastfeed with her right next to me than to get up and get her. LOL. What can I say I was tired. Anyway, thats something you need to decide for yourself. hope that helps.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

March 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Co-sleeping means the baby is the same room as you (so yes the baby being in a bassinet counts).

Having the baby in bed with you is called bed-sharing.

It's completely your choice as to what to do. I prefer to have the baby near partly because I plan to BF and partly because that baby has just spent 9 months inside of me and I think it would be a huge shock for the baby to go from that to sleeping in a room all alone.

Here is a link to some really great information including some info about the misinformation about co-sleeping.
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/sh....php?t=1354112 (Bed Sharing 101)

March 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
*Hayley*
i completely agree with what the others said. you'll find that most women who co-sleep also BF their babies. i did with my son for about 10-12 weeks, and will with the next one too. we bought this:
http://www.target.com/Arms-Reach-Min...e=1&rh=&page=1
and had it right up against our bed. My son actually slept in bed with us more than the sleeper haha, but it was there if we wanted to use it.

do what's right for your family and you'll do great.
March 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
*Hayley*
i completely agree with what the others said. you'll find that most women who co-sleep also BF their babies. i did with my son for about 10-12 weeks, and will with the next one too. we bought this:
http://www.target.com/Arms-Reach-Min...e=1&rh=&page=1
and had it right up against our bed. My son actually slept in bed with us more than the sleeper haha, but it was there if we wanted to use it.

do what's right for your family and you'll do great.
March 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the links ladies! I do plan BF so I guess co-sleeping is for us its just so confusing when everyone else tells you what to do...

Gotta learn to ignore them!
March 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From cosleeping.org.. there definition...

cosleeping.org

This webpage has been posted in order to provide easy access to the Web's best information on cosleeping.

Cosleeping (sometimes spelled co-sleeping, and also known as bed sharing or "having a family bed") is the practice of having your infant in your bed with you during sleep.

Sleeping in a bassinet is NOT considered co-sleeping, They are in their OWN bed. My daughters both slept in a bassinet. Well my youngest slept in the arms reach bed that was already posted. In the same room but in their own "space".

March 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Snowpeas
It's definitely a personal decision and there are no right or wrong decisions - just what's right for you and your baby. It's definitely a topic that causes some passionate feelings on both sides sometimes.

Olivia was exclusively breastfed and I choose to keep her in a bassinet right next to me on my side of the bed until she outgrew it at about 14 weeks, then she went to her own crib and bedroom. It worked well for us. Dh would probably have been okay co-sleeping with her but I was not.

I chose not to co-sleep because of how I can get when I am extremely tired. Usually, I would wake up at the slightest sound she made but when those deep, deep sleeps would hit she could be screaming right next to me and I wouldn't hear a thing. Thankfully, dh would hear and get up with her. I would wake up and not even remember where I was, and sometimes even that I had had the baby yet (would still think I was pregnant) etc. I didn't trust myself when I got like that.

I don't think that's very common - I'm just weird. lol But I do know that my friends who did co-sleep did great and enjoyed it very much.

And about the unsolicited advice. It's annoying!! Unfortunately, once you become pregnant it never seems to stop and once the baby is actually here it gets even worse. I can't tell you how much unsolicited (and unwelcome) advice I've gotten that made me think I was a bad mother. But then someone else would come along with the exact opposite advice - so confusing. Now I just smile and if I'm feeling sassy I thank them, lol and then completely ignore whatever they say.
March 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I will be exclusively bf but the baby will be in the bassinet beside our bed. xavier co-slept with me until he was about 7 months old but I found that moving him to his crib was a little difficult for both of us... We will see how things go...
March 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I think of co-sleeping as baby in bed with you, this is what we do.

I think of rooming in, as baby in your room in a crib or bassinet.

March 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for answering a first-timers silly questions

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search