first dr appt...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
hi everyone i have my firt dr. appt on tuesday the 17th. im excited but also scared at the same time bc its my first time with this doctor, first time having a baby, etc.. i dunno what to expect. i hope it is going to be a helpful appt. my SO is coming with me so that makes me feel alot better but im still a lil scared. i always have this lil fear in my mind that he is going to tell me something bad. has anyone ever felt like that ??
i dunno what he is going to do or say to me. i hope he explains things well and really listens to my questions and what i have to say. I really dont wanna leave there more confused than i already am.
I have an ultrasound scheduled on the 15th of April so im excited for that but i just cant wait for the 12 week mark! Another 4 weeks to go !!

March 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
It will go by fast and I hope you get all of your questions answered on Tuesday! Let us know how it goes

Thanks to cavewoman

March 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think EVERYONE has the fear they will be told something is wrong. Everything will be ok. Usually a first appt consists of questions about your history, weight check, a pap, blood draw, urine check and some Dr's give an u/s to estimate the EDD, but not all.
Good luck!!

March 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Snowpeas
I feel like that at EVERY appointment. I think the worrying starts the minute the positive appears on the pregnancy test and it never seems to stop!

I am glad your SO is coming. That always helps me a lot.
Here's what both of my first appointments were like:

Usually the first appointment is lots and lots of paperwork. They want to know your entire health history and the history of both sides of your family. They will also check your height, weight, and b/p to establish base lines. Then they will do a physical exam, including a pap smear, and pelvic exam and they will usually feel your belly to see if they can feel your uterus. They usually also do a breast exam and at every single appointment they will have you pee in a cup (which gets progressively harder as the belly gets in the way!)

At the first appointment they usually order a lot of blood work as there are a lot of tests that are recommended during pregnancy. Some doctors will order an HIV test routinely for their pregnancy patients too, so don't be too surprised if they do. I had an HIV test when I was pregnant with Olivia but my current doctor didn't order it this time.

They may or may not try to listen to the heartbeat. Some doctors will try it, some won't for fear of scaring you if it's too early and you can't hear it.

They will definitely ask you when your last af was, that's how they calculate the due date. If you can't remember, or sometimes even if you can they might order an u/s to get a due date that way.

Then the doctor gives you some basic information about pregnancy, how their practice works, gives you some handouts with information (like medicine you can take, when to call the doctor, pregnancy dos and dont's, etc and asks if you have any questions. Then you get to make an appointment to return in four weeks.

I think that's it. lol It sounds like a lot but believe me it goes by fast. Let us know how it goes
March 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Super Mommy
Good luck hun! I have my first nurse appt tomorrow. However, I've been to the doc about 5 times for betas and 2 ultrasounds. Fine times!
March 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
You are gonna do great!!!! Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search