For the Cloth Diaper Virgins... help please!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was reading an earlier post on the various brands of cloth diapers. I am absolutely clueless, but very interested in cloth diapers. Can you help out us "virgins" with some useful information and tips.

What are the pros and cons vs. disposable?

What is the cost?

Do you order online or at a local retailer?

Can you buy a disposable liner and then cloth outer?

Are they good to use with newborns?

How many do you need to buy?

What brand do you prefer and why?

Thanks!!!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Snowpeas
What are the pros and cons vs. disposable? cute colors, save $$, NO blowouts (when we did sposies she had blowouts ALL the time) and dd liked them WAY better. And we only get rashes on the days we use sposies (limited laundry access here). I just feel better about her little butt touching a soft fabric then touching paper (although we still use sposies occasionally too). The diapers we use have a stay dry lining so even when the insert is absolutely soaked what's next to her skin is dry.

Cons: start up cost, laundry, when you're out and about and you need to change a diaper instead of throwing it away you carry it with you until you get home.

What is the cost? start up cost is more but you end up saving tons of $$ over the long run - even if you factor in the cost of water & electricity. Plus cloth diapers have resale value so you get some or most of your money back when you're done.

Do you order online or at a local retailer? online

Can you buy a disposable liner and then cloth outer? They do have disposable liners that can catch poop.

Are they good to use with newborns? They are if you get the right size. IMO one-size diapers didn't work well on Olivia until she was three months old. With Olivia we started cd'ing at 3 months when our one-size stash fit. With this babe I'm accumulating newborn diapers to use this time around.

How many do you need to buy? It depends on how often you want to do laundry. I *think* Olivia went through 10-12 sposie diapers in a day as a newborn. So starting with around 24? would get you through two days. (rough, rough, guesstimates)

What brand do you prefer and why? I like BumGenius 3.0's. They are one-size and I like that you can stuff the pocket with varying inserts depending on your child's needs. During the day she gets a thin insert at night it's double stuffed and she has a bubble butt. lol

I would like to try their organic one-size all in one's though. They come with snaps and as fond as I am of the BG's I don't care for the velcro all that much.
March 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a CD virgin as well... For the last few months I have lurked like crazy at the cloth diapering forum here!! It has given me a lot of insight into the whole thing. I'd recommend you do the same so you can see what all is out there. If you're not getting your questions answered, just ask someone there. They are all incredibly knowledgeable and love to help out us newbies!!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to use primarily Bum Genius One Size diapers and I may try the Fuzzy Bunz One Size diapers if they get good reviews (they just came out). I also have a few other brands I will buy simply because they have cute designs. But the majority of my stash will most likely end up being the BG and FB diapers.
March 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info - I had no idea there was a cloth diapering forum! I'll have to check it out!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
From my person stand point......

What are the pros and cons vs. disposable?
pros - not so many rashes, no blow-outs, SUPER CUTE
cons - initial start up can seem like a big chunk of $$, the can be bulky and may not work under all clothes. Just depends on the diaper and the clothing

What is the cost?
It all depends on what kind and brands you use. You can do it for fairly cheap, or you can spend a lot too. Just depends on what you wanna try and what works best for you.

Do you order online or at a local retailer?
Online. Target has had bum genius in the store, but we have never used them

Can you buy a disposable liner and then cloth outer?
Yes. I have never used them, but they have them.

Are they good to use with newborns?
I have never used them on a newborn, but I am SOOOO excited to do it!

How many do you need to buy?
Depends on the kind you get. are they one sized or not, and how often you want to wash.
With a newborn obviously you need more cuz they go through more diapers. But for an older baby I would say 6-8 a day. Maybe more depending you know.

What brand do you prefer and why?
I perfer Goodmama's They are super cute, BUT they are the most absorbant and work the best for us. I have gone through several types of diapers and brands to find what worked for us. goodmamas are fitteds and need a cover. Though we go without covers when we are at home.

Its a trial and error I think to find what works for you best.

Last edited by drewbears; March 18th, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
March 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I was looking at the Goodmama website... Holy cow do they ever go on sale? I don't think dh would let me pay $35 for one diaper - no matter how cute it is...
March 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
LOL they had a sale around new years where it was buy 2 get one free, and before that they had the same deal and 10% off.

I said I would never pay that either. But I found the love.

March 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Well hopefully they have another sale like buy 2 get one free...I may be able to swing that....
April 24th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Veteran
Have you noticed if the babes toilet train any earlier with CD?
April 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Veteran
Oh my goodness, just peeked at Goodmama's and I fear I might be hooked. HOW cute are these???
April 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cloth diapers are AWESOME!!!

What are the pros and cons vs. disposable? Pros: SO much more absorbent and better at preventing leaks. Eco-friendly (our main reason for using). Saves A LOT of money!!

What is the cost? You could do it with very nice pockets for about $300 to get you everything for the diapering years. We spent a little more than that for Hugo to have 2 sets- one for grandma's (day care) and one for home.

Do you order online or at a local retailer? Online b/c local is so limited. There are great online stores and discount codes at diaperpin.com.

Can you buy a disposable liner and then cloth outer? I guess this would be like Gdiapers. I wouldn't- I would think cloth is easier by itself.

Are they good to use with newborns? Yes, if you have small sizes. We just got some prefolds and covers in small sizes for the first month or so, because the little messes are not bad at all and this worked well for us. At 8-10 lbs we went to Bum Genius, Fuzzi Bunz, Bumkins and Kushies.

How many do you need to buy? 18 would be fine, a few more even better. 18 would be about $300 for BG OS.

What brand do you prefer and why? Bum Genius (BG) One-Size, hands-down! They NEVER LEAK. They make disposables look like a joke. They adjust so easily with the velcro and dry really fast in the dryer. They are awesome. My husband wished we hadn't bought anything else, but Fuzzi Bunz are ok and Kushies do for around the house. Bumkins are a good option for swimming so you don't waste money on Little Swimmers diapers.

Last edited by HS&Fsmom; April 24th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
April 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
i am new also at this but I am going with these
Blueberry™ - MINKY ONE SIZE POCKET DIAPER | Cloth Diapers | Baby Diapers | Reusable Diapers
I found a site that has them much cheaper and I am using the ones with the snaps not the velcro

April 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those are SO cute!!

April 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I've thought about doing it but I despise laundry and I'm afraid I'd spend all of that money and not stick with it.

One thing I never understood though was buying and selling used diapers. I wouldn't buy someone's used underwear for myself so I don't think I could bring myself to buy it for my kid. Especially "underwear" that has been peed in and pooped in by some stranger's kid. Call me weird!

April 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
I've thought about doing it but I despise laundry and I'm afraid I'd spend all of that money and not stick with it.

One thing I never understood though was buying and selling used diapers. I wouldn't buy someone's used underwear for myself so I don't think I could bring myself to buy it for my kid. Especially "underwear" that has been peed in and pooped in by some stranger's kid. Call me weird!

April 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I have never CD, I really want to start with Collin now, and then decide if I want to with new baby. I am really hook atm

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post

LOL you don't have to buy used. Some will and its all good.... I have... but there are no stains and they were only used 1 or 2 times. Im picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little duckie View Post
I have never CD, I really want to start with Collin now, and then decide if I want to with new baby. I am really hook atm
I say try it!!!! It can't hurt!!! And it can be addicting.

Honestly I know people complain about the gross factor with the poo... but I found it more gross having to clean off the babies back and chest when they had a poo blow out 2 and 3 times a day in a sposie. BLAH!

April 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I hear people say there are less blowout with cloth diapers but I think DS only ever had a blowout 2x. Both times were because Daddy put the diaper on too loose.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search