Maternity Clothes or NOT?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with Andre and really showing it was winter time, so I was limited to jeans, and sweaters. I hated maternity jeans, they didnt make them small enough for me because I am petite, so I wore my pre-pregnancy jeans the entire pregnancy but unbuttoned with the bella band. I so felt like I didn't look sooo good pregnant but it was hard to do in winter!
With this pregnancy I am kind of excited it will be summer majority of my pregnancy (I live in southwest texas so it is HOT here till November) So I am thinking I can get away with little to no maternity clothes and just wear the flowy dresses and flowy tank tops with shorts/skirts and the bella band. I bought two dresses from Old Navy this weekend that are super flowy. They are super cute, you must check em' out!!
Oh and how great is it that I can get away with flip flops all the time now!! No trying to tie my shoes when I am 7 months pregnant! I swear towards the end of my pregnancy my shoes were always tied to the side!!
Anyways so does anyone else plan on nixxing the maternity clothes?? Or was anyone able to nix them in prior pregnancies? Did anyone else have the problems with finding nice fitting maternity jeans that wouldnt break the bank??
March 19th, 2009, 06:32 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first I didn't wear any maternity clothes. I wore a pair of jeans that were a couple of sizes bigger than my prepreg size and dh's t-shirts and sweatshirts.

With my 2nd I wore maternity clothes and they are SOOOO much more comfy.
I'm already on the look out for some maternity shorts because I can't imagine going through summer without them. I'm not big into dresses and skirts.
Tank tops would have to be HUGE to fit over the belly and then they'd be too big everywhere else, so I'll grab a few maternity ones. I think maternity clothes are cute and comfy.

March 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rhonda - I went to Old Navy this weekend and saw the dresses you are talking about. I almost bought a few, but decided not to for some reason - I might go back though.

I am also petite and think I'll be able to wear a lot of my skirts and dresses throughout the summer - probably until month 8 when they might be too short in the front b/c my belly will be so big.

However, I know I will want to wear shorts sometimes - so I bought 3 pairs of maternity shorts. My shorts from last summer were tight anyways, so I had to buy all new. And I bought a few pair of maternity dress pants to wear, just in case some of my dresses are too casual for work.

Overall though, I think I'll be combining some maternity with some non-maternity for as long as I can. I bought some jeans at Motherhood that were straight leg and fit me pretty well - they are a little big now, but comfy.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I know I'll need some maternity clothes for the summer. I wasn't pregnant during the summer last time so I don't really have much other than a few maternity tank tops. I got some at Old Navy and they are perfect.

I actually think finding clothes to fit in the summer might be harder for me. In the winter I could wear sweat pants and yoga pants but it's too hot for that in the summer.

March 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I am! I bought some of those dresses too! I didn't feel like going out buying summer maternity clothes and then getting new regular clothes because this will be more than likely the last one.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
With my last pregnancy (was also mostly winter) I just wore sweat pants most of the time but bought 1 pair of black maternity pants for places I had to go that sweat pants wouldnt cut it.. I might buy another pair or 2 and some shirts but I'm not one for dresses/shorts. But I do think I'll need some decent pants for my internship which will end up being in my 5th-7th month so that should be fun.
March 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
megan72782's Avatar Veteran
I have one pair of maternity jeans that actually fit, so I am excited about that. I can wear them when I am around the house, because we have air conditioning, so it'll be ok. I have a couple pairs of bermuda shorts that are low cut, so I can probably get away with the rubber band trick and a long tank top. I have only been pregnant in the winter as well, so all of my maternity shirts are long sleeve!

March 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a deep seeded hatred for maternity clothes. I wouldn't consider myself petite, but I guess i'm too petite for most maternity- and by the end I got too big for anything NOT maternity (that I didn't want to risk ruining by stretching out)

old navy has the best fitting stuff... IF you can find small sizes, not easy.

I usually just go to Forever 21 and buy shirts with an empire waist, and stretch jeans (hydraulic makes REALLY stretchy ones).. most days I wore maternity gauchos. Not very cute, but comfy

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have maternity yoga pants from motherhood maternity. i couldnt stand a tight waist anymore. they are cute. ALSO...i got a couple tees from this site:

www.2chix.com use the code fitpreg (from a pregnancy magazine) for a big discount. i love the tees they are so funny.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

Last edited by mrscheriezach; March 19th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
March 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Super Mommy
I like to look good, pregnant or not...and I always think that regular clothes just look silly on me when I am pregnant. I am really small and just grow this huge basketball in front so I like to wear the tighter maternity clothes. I often think that the flowy or stretchy regular clothes don't work because they are always longer in the back and too short in the front and I can just tell they don't fit. I hope it works for you but I loved my maternity clothes from my last pregnancy and plan on wearing them again! Good thing too, since I paid a little more for them!

March 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
also try goodwill...the one by my house gets all the target leftovers, i got awesome stuff there!

March 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Snowpeas
I guess I'm weird - I LOVE maternity clothes. I am tall and big boned, even when I'm skinny I have a hard, hard time finding clothes that fit. To get jeans to fit around my hips for example they are super loose everywhere else.

But I've found, for the most part, that maternity clothes fit me perfectly and they are so cute and flattering (after all almost everyone looks just at your belly and not anywhere else). I really enjoyed wearing them. Plus they were really comfy too - I felt like I was wearing pj's all day.

I loaned all my maternity clothes to a friend and due to some circumstances I won't be getting them back. I was sad for awhile but I am looking forward to getting a whole new wardrobe this time.
March 19th, 2009, 12:11 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wore maternity with my first and wearing them with this one

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont have anything against the maternity clothes, I just always had a hard time finding any that fit me right. Being short and petite it was near impossible. With Andre, I bought a maternity shirt for my baby shower and it was size small and it still fit me huge!! I guess I am just looking for other ways to be able to get by.
March 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
mrscheriezach - I love that site, thanks for sharing!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_D View Post
mrscheriezach - I love that site, thanks for sharing!
good im so glad!

i have the pregzilla shirt, it is sooo cute i highly recommend, its SO soft.

March 20th, 2009, 04:26 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have to wear maternity. WHen im not..... I just look WAY fatter. I would rather have the way maternity shirt flatter the pg belly than looking just way fatter again LOL

March 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
MaddApple's Avatar Expecting a boy 10/21/09
Send a message via Yahoo to MaddApple
I love the maternity baby doll tees. They flow and fit around my bump. I bought a whole bunch of them with my last pregnancy and I was in heaven. I also love maternity skirts and skorts. I even wear the tops when I'm not pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search