question for the women who have given birth before

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was just wondering how it was for you...

did you have drugs or did you go without?

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

March 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had two c/sections. I went all through labor with my m/c. The contractons hurt, but it wasn't "the worst pain in the world" like I thought it would be. I didn't have any drugs for the m/c.

March 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
MaddApple's Avatar Expecting a boy 10/21/09
Send a message via Yahoo to MaddApple
With my first I had a epidural and the drugs. With my second I just had a epidural. With my third I had no drugs even though they induced labor and the contraction were 100 times worse. I think my third birth it was alot easier to bounce back to my normal self.

March 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
I had the epi.
March 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Not to freak you out or anything but it was the worst thing ever. I wanted an epidural but they didn't get there in time with it. So I went through 12 hours of labor with nothing. I also ripped in two. Took 2 hours to sew me back up. I'm not looking foward to it again. I will request the epidural the minute I walk into the hospital. No waiting this time.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

March 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Bama08mommy4's Avatar Regular
I had epidurals with my first three and a huge fear I wouldnt have time
to get one with my fourth, and I was right.

The hospitals nurses never picked up my contractions on the monitor,
so they were never sure I was even in actual labor until I went from 3cm
to 10 in about an hour and was in horrible pain and crying.

So um.... I had to go through natural labor with my last baby, and yeah..
not wanting to scare you but it was absolutely horrible! I enjoyed
my labor and deliveries sooo much more WITH the epidural.

It was NOT enjoyable at ALL with my 4th but I will agree.. I bounced
back to my normal self ALOT quicker. Not sure how that works or why...
but I did.

Anyways, personally.. I wouldnt recommend natural child birth to my
worst enemy.
March 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to corey92902
With my first 3 I had an Epi. My last birth I was knocked completely out with a general. Was an emergancy C-section.

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
heck yes I got drugs!

I was induced a week early due to hypertension.. so I laid around on pitocin for HOURS before real labor started, and once it did it was a freight train.
by the time I was 4cm and they gave me the epi, Holden was crowning. So i'm sitting there clicking the button yelling about how it isn't working, not knowing i'm ready to push.

Once I started pushing it kicked in, but not before that.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
billie1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the epidural with all three of mine. I almost didn't get the epidural with our last child because he was coming sooo fast. Luckily, the doctors got the epidural in just in enough time for it to kick in before I delivered him. And, yes, that was some terrible pain up until that point...I was very happy to finally get the epidural.

March 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs. Brown
NO WAY NO DRUGS. I went completely all natural and loved every minute of it. Yes it hurt but the pain does not last forever and you get something WONDERFUL out of it. I REFUSE to have a needle in my back. If I were to have a C Section they better hope they can do a local but I will not have an epi!!! No way No how!!!

ALL NAUTRAL WAS GREAT AND I PLAN TO DO IT AGAIN!!!!

March 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
rachelwilber's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rachelwilber
I had a c-section but I was induced at 35 weeks 6 days and I labored with out anything until they said I needed a c-section and I wanted to see my DS so I got the epi. I plan on going without this time with a VBAC and if I have a c-section spinal or epi.

March 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Snowpeas
Short answer: I asked for an epidural immediately but I got an epidural when I was in transition. I labored entirely naturally until almost the very end.

Very Long answer:
I was planning to get an epidural immediately. However, I ended up laboring at home all day because I was in denial that I was in labor (long story). And then we lived an hour from the hospital. I also went into labor on Thanksgiving so the anesthesiologist was on call but not there at the hospital.

I also was starting to spill protein at the end so they had to run blood work and an entire IV bag of fluid (1000cc) before I could get the epidural. The blood work and IV took forever to get back.

I started dilating very fast for a first time mom. I went from 1cm to 6cm with bulging waters in less than 2 hours. I was laying in bed with the monitors on and laboring without any type of medication. We hadn't even taken childbirth classes since my friends who had didn't think they helped.

My dh was very supportive and I was able to breathe through the contractions. They did get pretty intense, I got sick to my stomach and started vomiting with the contractions and shaking like I was really cold but I wasn't. Even though it sounds bad it was wonderful experience. I loved laboring naturally.

Finally the dr showed up from home (they had called him when I first arrived) and administered the epidural. By that time the contractions were very strong and I told the nurse I didn't know how much longer I could handle it. The next thing I knew they were asking if I felt the contraction and I had no pain. It was wonderful

My epidural was great, I could feel my legs, they just felt tingly, and I could lift up my hips, etc but I had no pain. I'm really glad I got it because my daughter's head was stuck at a very odd angle (they couldn't even find it on the u/s to see if she was still head down). I was able to rest for a couple hours before they had me push (waited for me to get the urge). I had to push for 1 1/2 hours because her head would only come out to a certain point and not a centimeter further. If I hadn't gotten that rest it would have been much more difficult. She finally put her head all the way back in and adjusted it and then she came right out.

I still haven't decided totally what I'm going to do this time. I'm probably going to leave it open until it happens.
March 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
i always opted for the drugs because i had contractions for so long and with KJ i actually felt the contractions on my way to the hospital so i wasn't about that.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
*Hayley*
i labored naturally from 5 Am to 10 PM when i was 5-6 cm but at that time i didn't need an epidural, i just got it because the doc was available and i didn't want to feel my son actually coming out....

well the epidural only numbed my left leg and i felt everything by the time he was born, including them stitching me back up (thank goodness it was only a 2nd degree tear). this time i plan on not asking for an epi, but i might cave. the epi itself didn't hurt at all.
March 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First birth: was induced and had the epidural. HATED it. It kicked in just before I started to push (got it at 4cm, and was fully 45 minutes later) so it was really difficult to push. Ended up getting an episiotomy, and felt like crap after. 7 hours of labour.

Second birth. Completely and totally natural. LOVED feeling in control the whole time I was pushing. This one was my best birth by far. 12 hours of labour.

Third birth. Also totally natural. Slept through the first 2 hours of early/active labour. Got up, went to the bathroom and noticed blood, and then hit transition. Even if I had wanted to (which I didn't) I wouldn't have had time for an epidural. 4.5 hours of labour.

This next one will be my fourth birth, but my first one with twins. If baby A is head down, I'm planning another natural delivery, but will likely have the epidural catheter in place without the drugs running just in case a section is needed for baby B.

March 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess I need to add my horror story with an epidural. I will NOT ever have one again. They obviously gave me too much because I was so numb it took forever for it to wear off and it made me so sleepy they actually had to wake me up to push. Not to mention how bad it hurt as they put it in. I truly feel like I had no active part in my delivery. Oh and of course everything was by the doctor's schedule...never mind what my body wanted to do on it's own.

This time around I am opting for all natural water homebirth with a midwife. They have ways to help you so you don't tear. Will it hurt? Oh I'm sure it will, but at least I will be awake and present and feel like contributed to the birth of my child. Things will go according to when baby is ready and I am so looking forward to being able to labor in different positions, walking around and being able to birth in the warm birth pool. I truly do not believe a woman is meant to deliver a baby flat on her back. It makes no sense...gravity is definitely not in your favor.

Sorry for the rant...it's just lately I have really been thinking about my past birth experience and feel like I was robbed.
March 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I had some Stadol in my IV. Won't do that again. It didn't help the pain. It only made me feel drunk.

I had an EPI sort of. After being slammed with contractions that were only about 45 seconds apart I finally asked for it. The Dr put it in the first time and it got kinked. I almost passed out because sitting in that position while having contractions was killing me. They put it in the 2nd time and when I laid back down they checked me and I was completely dilated. So all it did was numb my legs.

March 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs. Brown
Being able to feel in control and feeling the baby come out is an amazing feeling. It is mind over matter really. Find a focal point, breath and you will be good to go!!!!

Oh and i ripped with my son and felt them stich me but it was like a little poke not a hurt feeling you have so much (adrenalen)SP? running that you don't really care after that point. In fact my doc went elbow deep inside of me after my son was born becuase I wouldn't stop bleeding my uterus didn't contract back down because I was induced with pitocin but had magnesium sulfate due to being preeclemptic and the mag sulfate stopped my contractions. I didn't feel a thing and she told me I wouldn't like her very much and in she went it was like nothing!!!!

March 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My labor with DD was 13 hrs. I had a shot of Demerol that I said NO to, but the nurse stabbed me anyway - still p-o'd about that!! It didn't do anything, anyway. They also froze my hoo-hoo when I started pushing because they were sure I would need an episiotomy.

With angel DS labor was 15 1/2 hours completely natural.

This time I will be more adamant about No Drugs. Labor really isn't all THAT bad. It hurts, but it's tolerable when you keep in mind -why- it's hurting. With Every contraction you are That much closer to holding your little miracle

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search